Bois Impérial 2020

Bois Impérial by Essential Parfums
Ranked 91 in Unisex Perfume
Bois Impérial is a popular perfume by Essential Parfums for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is woody-fresh. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Fresh
Synthetic
Green

Fragrance Notes

AmbrofixAmbrofix Akigalawood®Akigalawood® Georgywood®Georgywood® Nepalese sichuan pepperNepalese sichuan pepper Thai basilThai basil GrapefruitGrapefruit Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli Petalia®Petalia®

Perfumer

Submitted by multiple users, last update on 27.02.2024.

8.5

Top Review 49
Synthetic in the best sense (but not only)
Pure natural fragrances often have the disadvantage of already seeming too dense - synthetics can help lighten them up, make them lighter. And then there's a wide world in between, as Akigalawood shows, for example. The fragrance is extracted from patchouli plant residue*, removing its more grimy facets and ultimately creating a very different impression. Bois Impérial is strongly influenced by it and various synthetic components, so that - as many here have already noticed - the comparison to Escentric Molecules suggests itself. The important difference is revealed in the fact that the latter often seem too soulless to me, while here the balancing act between synthetics and nature succeeds.

What I liked during the first tests is the fact that the fragrance already seems rather simple, but I could still filter out different nuances each time, which I had not noticed before or hardly. To begin with, there is not only the combination of the citrusy freshness, which is neither too sharp nor too sweet, with the dry woodiness (1), which runs through from beginning to end, but also a very subtle floral component (2). This doesn't make Bois Impérial seem floral, but adds even more brightness and some richness that would otherwise be lacking. Green freshness fits in just as well, whereby the vetiver note does not come across at all classic-old-fashioned, as is sometimes the case.

(1) Ambrofix = Ambroxan: If you know Molecule 02, you know what I mean.
(2) Petalia: "rose-like with nuances of lily of the valley." I would have thought of Hedion next to it.

The fragrance seems therefore consistently bright and transparent, because no heavy components complement the base accord, but with Georgywood (equivalent to Iso E Super, but is even woodier*) and Akigalawood always maintain an airy texture. The latter note is hard to describe, as it still has slightly earthy and green facets of patchouli, but just seems much lighter and cleaner. With Supræ of Aether (even drier) or Nisean of Parfums de Marly (darker, balsamic), for example, you can also perceive it well.

By the way, my girlfriend does not like the fragrance, because she immediately had the association with something pickled. Maybe that comes from the slight acidity and some spice. Now I feel the fragrance as a little softer than at the beginning, where I saw the dry-woody side as the most dominant. Possibly it needs some time to 'settle in'. For everyday wear, Bois Impérial is optimal, as the durability is really extremely good - especially on clothes. The sillage can also be easily underestimated and I have therefore rated it with 7, because you are not slain by the transparent effect of the fragrance, but at the same time he radiates relatively far.

Also, an important question with perfumes is how they make you feel when you wear them: Bois Impérial has on the one hand this lighthearted, universally wearable, on the other hand, the fragrance definitely has a mood-lifting effect.

[*Many thanks to Ronin for the tips.]

Helpful Review 15
The hyper-modern, linear, clean, freshly sparkling soda-soap hybrid
A mixture of a novel, strongly sparkling lemonade with almost cola-like nuances and other fragrances that also make me feel as if I had just used a shower gel enclosed by the Hotel Adlon. By the way, the described soda with novel flavor is without sugar and has a bio flair. The soda, paired with the clearly defined, clean smelling, very high quality shower gel with unknown, completely new synthetic aquatic wood-like scent notes, then creates this modern and unique scent image that I can remember exactly even months dannach.

This is a fragrance which I might even wear just "for others", as I can imagine that this fragrance would work well in almost any setting, as it comes across as friendly and positive. However, is too synthetic modern for me personally to really endure him for a long time.*

*Addendum:
After almost a year break and a hundred other perfumes I have tested since then, the fragrance now seems much more pleasant. I was lucky enough to visit the Essentials Parfums boutique in Paris and of course I had to strike. The other fragrances of Essentials Parfums are however also absolutely worth a test (especially Nice Bergamot and Fig Fusion are also exeptionally good as Bois Imperial in my opinion. However, much more natural and gentle). The fragrance is now after almost 2 years in my top 5 of the best fragrances I have ever smelled!

1 Review
Marical
Quentin Bisch realizes his dream to create a fragrance around Akigalawood
Bois Essential combines familiar notes with an unfamiliar approach and a very energetic, contemporary performance.
The result is a lively, transparent and green-woody fragrance. Neither strictly vetiver, nor strictly patchouli or cedar. Rather in between and in a very non-obvious way.

Helpful Review 14
Projection monster!!!
Bois Impérial is a molecular fragrance with special properties.
Many of you will certainly be familiar with the classic "Molecule 01".
In terms of their fragrance properties, the two can be compared in the most distant sense.
However, Bois Impérial has something natural in addition to its synthetics.
In the opening, it is still relatively peppery/citrusy and as it progresses, something green, spicy and slightly floral comes through (I think this comes from the vetiver, basil and acigalwood) and at the same time the typical woody molecular character always resonates.

I found the sillage to be average at first, but since a few people around me own it, I realize how brutal it is.
It fills large rooms and still feels "airy".
The durability is also great.

I often find the typical Mülekül fragrances a bit boring, but the Bois Impérial is convincing in all areas, it has something of its own, the performance is awesome and the price/performance ratio is also good.
Really a super fragrance

Very helpful Review 6
Bestsellers from Essential Parfums
Why am I reviewing this perfect summer fragrance in January? Good question!
It just caught my eye by chance while browsing and I remembered last summer. I took four perfume minis from Essential Parfums to a meeting with my girls. One of them is almost as crazy about perfumes as I am, the others are more like moderately interested :D Anyway, this time there were also a few men at the meeting, which I found very exciting because - as far as I know - all Essential Parfums are categorized as unisex. So I took this opportunity to find out which perfume was well received by men and which by women. I had the following selection:

- Bois Impérial
- Rose Magnetic
- Divine Vanilla
- Fig Infusion

For me personally, Divine Vanille is the most masculine fragrance in this range, so I was surprised that the men all found it too feminine and too sweet. The clear winner for both women and men was Bois Impérial. It really has something special about it. Fresh, a little tart, a little peppery, but overall so perfectly balanced and round. For me, it's a great all-rounder in summer as it's not heavy or warm, but of course that's a matter of opinion. The second favorite, for both men and women, was Fig Infusion. After that, opinion was split between Rose Magnetic and Divine Vanille, depending on the preference of the vanilla and rose notes. This was really super interesting for me, as I personally prefer Fig Infusion to the rest, but that's probably down to my preference for sandalwood and fig.

Bois Impérial was recently allowed to move in with my mother. She is very particular about perfumes. It can never be too sweet, too heavy or too synthetic for her. She prefers citrusy fragrances like Mediterraneo by Carthusia. When she smelled Bois Impérial on me recently, she found it super interesting and literally said "You've got something good on you today, it's not as sweet and strong as usual". I never really get compliments on my perfumes from her, more like a wrinkled nose, but I'm used to that and don't even go into it any more :D Since she thought it was so great and I really have more than enough, it now lives with her. ;)

From these experiences above, I feel Bois Impérial is a safe blind buy and perfect as a gift. The small 10ml size is also quite reasonable in terms of price at 20€!
1 Comment