Manhattan 2022 Eau de Parfum

Manhattan (Eau de Parfum) by Roja Parfums
Manhattan (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Roja Parfums for women and men and was released in 2022. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Oriental
Floral

BasilBasil LavenderLavender BergamotBergamot
CoconutCoconut HeliotropeHeliotrope Grasse jasmineGrasse jasmine May roseMay rose VioletViolet
CloveClove TobaccoTobacco CinnamonCinnamon VanillaVanilla BenzoinBenzoin MuskMusk PinePine Pink pepperPink pepper CedarwoodCedarwood GingerGinger OakmossOakmoss PatchouliPatchouli VetiverVetiver

Perfumer

Videos
Submitted by multiple users, last update on 22.02.2024.

Helpful Review 4
Vibrant Elegance
Manhattan by ROJA Parfums
What a stunner this is!
And I’m not just talking about the presentation which is just beautiful.

This seems to have been tailor made for me.

In one word: Boujee And I mean it.

It manages to be both warm, spicy, rich, enveloping, opulent…
…AND bright, sparkly, aromatic, energetic, classy, elegant.

The opening on this is truly breathtaking to me.
A bright bergamot dancing with coconut and floral nuances with a slice of freshly cut ginger and a couple of basil leaves on top.
In fact - the opening leads you to believe this will be a gourman leaning scent in a similar fashion Ambre Narguile or Nobile's La Danza delle Libellule do, but... Nope!

This develops. A lot!

A few minutes later, the florals give Manhattan a bit more complexity with crisp freshness from Violet, elegance from rose, carnal touches from jasmine and powdery Almondy nuances from heliotrope.

There’s a soft spiciness throughout the whole experience with pink pepper and the ginger. The basil and pine nuances balance it out.

Then comes the rich and opulent base of vanilla, musk, light vegetal tobacco, cinnamon, cloves, benzoin and cedar mainly.

This never gets too sweet, too woody, too crisp. It’s simply put: perfectly balanced to my nose.

In typical ROJA fashion: SPARKLY. And this never gets old to me.

Rich. Complex. Busy. Energetic. Classy. Opulent.
Manhattan. New York.

It just fits me and moves me; and that's more than enough to me.

Dennis1104
You notice the attention to detail
The Manhattan is a great multi-layered fragrance for me.
You can feel that many fragrance notes have been processed, but still in such a way that it is perfectly coordinated.
You can really feel the work behind this fragrance, the attention to detail.

At first I get something slightly "fresh" and a great lavender accord. This combination of lavender, bergamot and a hint of basil is really beautiful.
But I also immediately sense a certain spiciness and other notes in general, which I find difficult to recognize individually.
Slightly peppery, some clove & cinnamon and other individual notes.
I don't find the fragrance particularly floral, even though there are some floral notes in the fragrance pyramid.

Towards the end, the fragrance goes noticeably in a patchouli, vetiver direction with musk. In general, it also simply becomes woodier.

I like the fragrance.
It could project and last a little better. I have a little trouble with that on my skin. Especially when I have the price in mind.
Nevertheless, it is a really beautifully crafted fragrance.

Art Déco
Manhattan embodies the Art Déco art style, which had its heyday in the 1920s. Manhattan is a tribute to a bygone era in which people looked to the future with hope and thus, with hard work, remained fit for the future. Manhattan is a reminder of the hedonistic and shocking appearance of nightclubs at the time, mainly because of their lascivious appearance, which had a worldwide impact Manhattan is therefore initially an amber fragrance, but it also has modern, forward-looking elements. Rose, jasmine and heliotrope are placed on a classic stage of vanilla and tonka bean, and a whisper of tobacco can be heard, reminiscent of nightclubs. At the front of the bottle is the Chrysler Building, a representative of Art Deco, which gives off magical and obscure light reflections at night. This is why the perfume bottle is still black, while the EdP version now depicts the building during the day.

So much for the explanations of Roja Dove (translated, summarized).
I find it really exciting to take a look behind the scenes at how a perfume like this is created. For me, it is clear that Dove has dealt intensively with the subject and created a perfume that comes closest to his interpretation of this period. Even if you don't agree with it, I think it makes sense to at least know what the idea behind the perfume was. This can then influence your own perception again.

For me, Manhattan is a sweet to very sweet fragrance, but it is well balanced and therefore exudes a pleasant cloud of fragrance. The spiciness is at the limit for me personally, fragrances like Spicebomb Extreme tend to just overwhelm me. The spiciness is also much more noticeable on the strip than on the skin and in everyday life, so it's fine there.
I am a little cautious with sweet fragrances, as they can easily be overwhelming for me, after all, you have to "stand" behind the fragrance for hours; the sillage, which I would prefer to rate at 7.5 points, is perfect here - in my opinion, such a value is even better than 9 or 10, which is often simply too much of a good thing for me.

Despite its sweetness, the fragrance still has a pleasant lightness. I can easily smell coconut, which gives it a fresh kick, but as is so often the case with fragrances from this company, a lot of well-balanced substances are used, so that no one note stands out in particular. Describing it as a (fairly) sweet, vanilla, spicy scent is pretty accurate in my opinion. The development of the fragrance also reminds me a little of the character of Tobacco Vanilla, even though the scent is completely different. Although tobacco is only described as a "whisper" in Dove's fragrance, I find this character essential in Manhattan. The longevity is very good; after 6-7 hours my nose had gotten used to the scent and I thought that was it, but in the evening after a good 10 hours I clearly noticed the scent again (it was warmer again), it lasted well all day.

If the price is 250€ for the 100ml, I think the PL is actually quite ok - that puts you (roughly) in the Xerjoff range, for example, and is actually still well below Tom Ford prices (which is a completely different topic again...). I think Manhattan is worth a test if you are looking for a sweet-spicy, complex fall/winter fragrance. I don't think I need to mention that the bottle is a dream. Especially in the context of this fragrance, which contains a clear reference to art, it seems to me more than appropriate to offer a correspondingly artistic presentation.
9.5

Scent of Winter season 2023
I just received the fragrance this morning and after giving it a full wearing I can confirm that this is going to be my go-to-scent for the upcoming winter months.

The scent starts with a sparkling mix of citrus, aromatic notes and tobacco. Although not being redundant the opening gives me a similar feeling like wearing the Enigma (Creation E) Parfum Cologne.

After about 15mins the citrus component starts to fade and the tobacco gets more prominent. Spicy and ambery/vanilla tones start to overshadow the aromatic notes. About an hour into the wearing I do see why people compare this fragrance to Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.

This fragrance is still different to Tobacco Vanille, it only shares some facets.
Another facet of the fragrance is the ginger note which is probably responsible for the sparkling opening and remains as an uplifting character in the scent at this stage.
In addition, the coconut notes gives a fragrance a smooth character and the pine note adds some woody character. This stage of the fragrance remains for about 4 hours until the fragrance makes a slight turn again.

Deep in the drydown, maybe at the 5 or 6 hour mark, a rose note shines through. To be honest, I wasn’t looking at the note breakdown at first and I was wondering where the rosy smell came from until I noticed that it must be me. Then I checked the fragrance notes and saw there is rose inside.

I couldn’t detect the fragrance anymore after about 7 to 8 hours after application.

As you can see, the fragrance is very complex and although I used other fragrances to describe the scent, the fragrance happens to be very unique to my nose. I understand why many people take comparisons the TV but this one is not as linear and also more subtle. I wouldn’t consider this being a weak fragrance at all but TV is definitely more projecting and also longer lasting, however, I see Manhattan definitely more office and work appropriate.

Today, I enjoyed every minute of the wearing experience and I’m definitely going to wear this one with the same excitement during the winter months.

Considering bottle and presentation, I guess there’s not much to say except it’s gorgeous.

Talking about the price, I understand that 350€ (300£) is a steep price tag for a fragrance but considering presentation and the complexity of the scent, the price is justified in my opinion.

I find this fragrance more on the masculine side on my skin, however it would be interesting to see how it develops on feminine skin. I usually don’t put genders on fragrances and I think woman can easily wear the fragrance with confidence as well.

Another Excellent Roja Dove Creation
Reminds me of Xerjoff 's Naxos creamy notes. The initial spray is outstanding and with effervescent hints and the dry down is warm, creamy and inviting. This should be a great fall and winter perfume. I would say this leans more masculine.

This is so nice. Overall, I'm very pleased with this blind buy Roja creation.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Tobacco, heliotrope, cinnamon, clove and vanilla. Also a hint o lavender and patchouli. Well balanced fragrance similar to a soft Arabesque.
NicheOnlyNicheOnly 9 months ago
8.5
Sweetened warm spices/ambers on a cherry-tobacco base. Smells like Boundless layered onto Blessed Baraka. Performs okay, masc fall-winter.
ZestiestZestiest 3 months ago
Reminds me of older perfumery in a good way. Smoothly blended, rich and elevating. should only be worn when your dress up to the nines
HolscentbarHolscentbar 5 months ago
Elegant spicy sweet floral. Discrete and unisex. Blind buy safe if u love spices
Ronny1987Ronny1987 11 months ago
9.5
On my skin acts as divine fougere. Prominent lavender with spice and woodsy base. Very elegant, classy and complex. Eternal. To buy-list.
More statements

Popular by Roja Parfums

Elysium Parfum Cologne (Eau de Parfum) by Roja Parfums Elysium pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Amber Aoud (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Isola Blu (Parfum) / Oligarch (Parfum) by Roja Parfums A Midsummer Dream by Roja Parfums Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Roja Parfums Diaghilev (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Burlington 1819 by Roja Parfums Oceania by Roja Parfums Oligarch (Eau de Parfum) by Roja Parfums Sweetie Aoud by Roja Parfums Parfum de la Nuit 3 by Roja Parfums Aoud by Roja Parfums United Arab Emirates by Roja Parfums Amber Aoud Absolue Précieux by Roja Parfums NüWa (2015) by Roja Parfums Reckless pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Vetiver (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Fetish pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums