Search Forum

What are some of the best ways to make perfume last longer?

What are some of the best ways to make perfume last longer? 1 year ago
What do You Think ?
1 year ago 2

I don't think there are that many options - I think it just depends on the quality of the perfume. 

1 year ago 1

Hi,

for me it's re-apply a couple of times during the day. 

1 year ago 4

Making sure your skin isn't too dry helps. I'm not a fan of putting on lotion and then perfume immediately after, I've found that to have the opposite effect on longevity, but, staying moisturized does help a little. Other than that, there's nothing you can do about it. Some molecules just do not stay on your skin for long. Most top notes are this way, they last for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, and that is why they are top notes -- they evaporate quickly, which means you smell them immediately. I think these very ephemeral fragrances get made because they want to make something that can be smelled easily in a store. Lots of quickly evaporating chemicals that hit your nose immediately, cutting through the smells of everything else around you.

While there are some chemicals that can reduce the rate of evaporation(fixatives), they also flatten the top notes by doing so. If you're interested in experimenting with this, you could try this product from Alkemia, but, I do not own it, so I can not vouch for it's effectiveness. You could also try layering with benzoin or patchouli, both said to be fixatives. While I haven't experimented with them on their own, I've definitely noticed that fragrances which include either(or both) do seem to last a long time. 

1 year ago

also apply to clothes, or hair or beard Smile

1 year ago 1

Layering can improve some scents. 

For example I own Lacoste Essential which usually fades and projects badly but when layered with the likes of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense or Versace Man Eau Fraiche it becomes an absolute beast mode that lasts hours and i actually smell the weaker Essential more so than the on its own much stronger D&G.

It doesn't work with all scents.

Another is 1 Million Elixir, i layer that with other vanilla frags and it boosts them also such as The Most Wanted Parfum. It also works with the OG 1 million. Another it works with which has the apple and vanilla is Eros EDT. It probably would work with the EDP and Parfum but i can't say for certain as i don't have them just now to test.

Or using similar flankers that smell alike like Spicebomb Extreme with Spicebomb Infrared makes both last and project even better than they already do.

1 year ago 2

shower

moisturise your skin

ISO E Super - leave it to dry for a while

then put your fragrance on

10 months ago

Carry a travel sprayer of the scent. That's what works for me. 

10 months ago 2

This may sound weird, but make sure you stay hydrated.  It helps keep your skin from getting too dry.

8 months ago 3

This may also sound weird but spray less and don't spray close your nose. Most longevity problems aren't actually about longevity, it's olfactory fatigue. Your nose gets used to the fragrance so you can't smell it anymore.

8 months ago 2
Lempi

This may also sound weird but spray less and don't spray close your nose. Most longevity problems aren't actually about longevity, it's olfactory fatigue. Your nose gets used to the fragrance so you can't smell it anymore.

Agreed.  Spraying on the neck or behind the ears can make folks asomatic very quickly.  I stick to wrists, inside the elbow of cleavage.  I stay in a lovely fragrance cloud for hours.  

8 months ago 1

Hello,

When you are under the impression that a perfume performs badly, try to set it aside for a while and try again a few days later after wearing nothing or after wearing something alike. I've noticed that a new bought perfume may seem (!) to perform poorly when I use it the first time after having used an other perfume that is from a different 'olfactory group'. Your nose and surroundings may still be 'filled' with that, so the new perfume is hard to judge, like you best not test a perfume in a shop, filled with all kind of perfumes that have been sprayed into the air for testing. 

About clothing: I noticed quite a difference with different materials: I may love a perfume on linen and/or cotton for instance, and like it far less on, say, acrylic. Does anyone recognize this? 

8 months ago
Ringtale

Hello,

About clothing: I noticed quite a difference with different materials: I may love a perfume on linen and/or cotton for instance, and like it far less on, say, acrylic. Does anyone recognize this? 

Definitely.  I like perfume on cotton,  linen, some synthetic fabrics, like microfiber, but I never put perfume on silk.

7 months ago
KathrynA66
Ringtale

Hello,

Definitely.  I like perfume on cotton,  linen, some synthetic fabrics, like microfiber, but I never put perfume on silk.

Hi Kathryn, Oh I am glad you recognize this, thought it was just me... Smile

7 months ago 1

Something I do is not spray fragrance on my wrists, but rather on the back of my arm. The back of my arm doesn't touch things that often and since the fragrance gets stuck in my arm hair it lasts longer. It's not that big of a deal when arm hair gets ruined by the alcohol in perfumes, unlike when it's ruins the hair on your head.

6 months ago 1
TommieBootje

Something I do is not spray fragrance on my wrists, but rather on the back of my arm. The back of my arm doesn't touch things that often and since the fragrance gets stuck in my arm hair it lasts longer. It's not that big of a deal when arm hair gets ruined by the alcohol in perfumes, unlike when it's ruins the hair on your head.

Hi TommieBootje, 

I also never spray on my wrists, I think it's no use when washing your hands quite frequently during the day (and I just can't wash my hands without washing my wrists  Smile).  I rather spray on inner elbow and forearms.

6 months ago
River

Making sure your skin isn't too dry helps. I'm not a fan of putting on lotion and then perfume immediately after, I've found that to have the opposite effect on longevity, but, staying moisturized does help a little. Other than that, there's nothing you can do about it. Some molecules just do not stay on your skin for long. Most top notes are this way, they last for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, and that is why they are top notes -- they evaporate quickly, which means you smell them immediately. I think these very ephemeral fragrances get made because they want to make something that can be smelled easily in a store. Lots of quickly evaporating chemicals that hit your nose immediately, cutting through the smells of everything else around you.

While there are some chemicals that can reduce the rate of evaporation(fixatives), they also flatten the top notes by doing so. If you're interested in experimenting with this, you could try this product from Alkemia, but, I do not own it, so I can not vouch for it's effectiveness. You could also try layering with benzoin or patchouli, both said to be fixatives. While I haven't experimented with them on their own, I've definitely noticed that fragrances which include either(or both) do seem to last a long time.

Good morning! I noticed that too (patchouli as a note to be a fixative), but the downside of that (on my skin and with my chemistry that is), is that the patchouli always performs as a very prominent note and seems to tame down the other notes. All I am left with in the end in those cases is......patchouli...

I wore a scent the other day ( Eau de Rochas (1970) (Eau de Toilette)Eau de Rochas (1970) Eau de Toilette containing patchouli and someone asked me: 'Are you wearing Patchouli?' Smile

6 months ago

I agree with that's been said before: carry a travel sized atomizer with you and reapply!

6 months ago 2
Johnjssmith

I agree with that's been said before: carry a travel sized atomizer with you and reapply!

But before reapplying please ask someone if they can still smell your perfume or is it really gone. Because I'm quite sure that in most cases it's just olfactory fatigue, you can't smell your fragrance yourself anymore but everybody else can and reapplying will turn you into a fragrance bomb, heheh 😅

6 months ago 1
Lempi
Johnjssmith

But before reapplying please ask someone if they can still smell your perfume or is it really gone. Because I'm quite sure that in most cases it's just olfactory fatigue, you can't smell your fragrance yourself anymore but everybody else can and reapplying will turn you into a fragrance bomb, heheh 😅

I so agree on that Smile !!!

6 months ago

Ho, apply some face primer before spraying, It Will lasts forever

4 months ago

Re-apply and vaseline had been some of the best ways to make your perfume last longer.

4 months ago

Besides proper hydrating try to apply a plant based butter to your diet, and drink a good quality Olive oil on a weekly bases besides to apply it to your meals.

Avocado's/ Guacamole also can do goods for the skinhealth

In some cases it is also finding the right (natural) body lotion/ creme that matches your acidity body ph value (I use Sea.line and Urtekram).

I know it's a taboo mentioning but for the people that do I can't stress it enough, stop master-baiting (uhum)... espcecially for some men it can dry the skin subtly.

3 months ago

If you have fair, dry skin, moisturizer is a must. Unscented is preferred. It's always worked for me.

3 months ago

Moisturizer, vaseline, and iso e super if fits are your top bets.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions What are some of the best ways to make perfume last longer?
Jump to