Search Forum

How can i identify this frag type.

How can i identify this frag type. 1 year ago

Hi, recently i have had a few of the really heavy thick fragrances like whatever  Le Male, Joop and Eros has it in it (Eros is not as bad but it is in there) and now so does 1 Million Elixir.

They are just way too thick and heavy to me and i feel like i have this fog of pollen around my head. I used to love these kind of fragrances but i feel like they are dated now tbh so i was really disappointed that was what they used to make 1 Million Elixir stronger because it does indeed make fragrances last longer but there are better ways to do it imo. It also sets off my allergies.

I am trying to find a note or ingredient in all of them that will tell me to avoid them but i can't find one that seems to be in all of those fragrances.  

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

1 year ago 1

Maybe you've come to a point where you should dive into the world of niche fragrances? 
I think you're getting bored with the uniformity of designer fragrances. 😀

1 year ago 4

Hi Mitchcraft, 

What I think the perfumes you mentioned have in common is a large amount of both vanilla and tonka bean. I agree with you that that can get thick and heavy. Especially when there is some sweetness added, which is also the case with those perfumes.

But you also mentioned it feels like "pollen" and tonka or vanilla do not really resemble a pollen-like feeling. That could be from floral or aromatic notes like orange blossom or clary sage. Clary sage, or actually a synthetic substitute, is a common ingredient in popular perfumes and it gives me the feeling like it sticks to my throat sometimes. Unfortunately it is not always mentioned in the note pyramid or in the ingredients list.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

1 year ago
DonVanVliet

Maybe you've come to a point where you should dive into the world of niche fragrances? 
I think you're getting bored with the uniformity of designer fragrances. 😀

I think you are probably right. There are still a few tickle my fancy but i have most of the ones i wanted. The rest are mainly just EDP and Parfum versions.

1 year ago
Kurai

Hi Mitchcraft, 

What I think the perfumes you mentioned have in common is a large amount of both vanilla and tonka bean. I agree with you that that can get thick and heavy. Especially when there is some sweetness added, which is also the case with those perfumes.

But you also mentioned it feels like "pollen" and tonka or vanilla do not really resemble a pollen-like feeling. That could be from floral or aromatic notes like orange blossom or clary sage. Clary sage, or actually a synthetic substitute, is a common ingredient in popular perfumes and it gives me the feeling like it sticks to my throat sometimes. Unfortunately it is not always mentioned in the note pyramid or in the ingredients list.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I don't believe this, i deleted my reply to you as i thought about things in much more depth and when i hit reply got an error and lost all the text i wrote!

OK, i will summarize. If you owned an OG bottle of Versace's Blue Jeans and own a bottle now, it is the thing they removed from that to make it the light fresher fragrance it is today. So if you know what the descriptor for that change is then that is exactly the thing i am trying to describe. Blue Jeans has a Vanilla note in it but it is not the same thick heavy fragrance it was in the 90s, far from it.

I think you could be right about vanilla as it in nature is a rather thick powdery pod which got me thinking it could be the powdery accord we sometimes associated with fragrances and is noted in both Joop and Le Male. However not all vanilla fragrances  are inherently powdery such as The Most Wanted Parfum which is vanilla heavy but it is a Bourbon Vanilla note rather than natural forms of vanilla so i presume in the process of making it become a Bourbon Vanilla which i also presume is not a natural state? They have removed the powdery aspect of it?

One other fragrance with this feeling though is Eros which has fresh accords on fragrantica but i wouldn't class a thick heavy kind of fragrance as being fresh but they could be using that to describe the mintyness of it. The reason i know it has the same affect as something like Le Male and Joop though is like those 2 fragrances when sprayed on clothing it will last forever. I have a bath robe that got sprayed with Eros and it is all i can ever smell with it on and it has been put through the wash numerous times lol.

So yeah i think you are right about it being certain types, mainly most natural states of vanilla and somehow they maybe have a way of adding this unnaturally to enhance certain fragrances and when done so is noted as Powdery? Maybe Escentric Molecules sell a fragrance enhancer to act like this  to boost weaker frags? If not i bet the wish they could lol

1 year ago 1

I agrée with the other poster that you seem to not like the heaviness of ambers, floral amber, aka, orientals; that’s the fragrance family they fall into. Most, have a big vanillic accord as the main profile. All the ones in the mentioned in the OP are those types. 
There are very few in that family I enjoy on myself as well. For the same reason. They are too dense for me.

I suggest you explore other fragrance families. Citrus/cologne, woody, aquatics, etc

Also, yes, it’s possible scents you wore years ago have been reformulated.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes by Note, Accord, Genre How can i identify this frag type.
Jump to