Search Forum

Unsolicited messages from new accounts

Unsolicited messages from new accounts 12 months ago 4

I'm sure some other users have encountered the private message equivalent of "cold calls": new accounts with no collection, signed up just to scout anyone listed as owning unicorns.

Maybe this is acceptable behaviour to some members? I find it icky, like an entitled stranger treating public transport as a dating opportunity.

Perhaps there needs to be a minimum amount of engagement with the site before new users can initiate private messages.

12 months ago

I haven't received any messages of the sort, but maybe a deep clean of the Parfumo accounts could be down once a year or once every 2 / 5 10 years to garantee a good community and help prevent trolls.

I'm compltely with you that there should be a system in place to prevent those types of things from happening. It can be annoying.

12 months ago

Hi MRoth,

I don't know if it's the same situation you describe, this happened to me once: out of the blue I was contacted by an unknown member asking if I wanted to sell a perfume from my collection. No unicorn just a regular Xerjoff still in production that you can buy in many places. I answered no and that was the end of it. However, this unprompted sell enquiry left me with a funny feeling about who is browsing through the profiles, so I decided to erase my collection to avoid this from happening again. 😔 

12 months ago
Cocopah

Hi MRoth,

I don't know if it's the same situation you describe, this happened to me once: out of the blue I was contacted by an unknown member asking if I wanted to sell a perfume from my collection. No unicorn just a regular Xerjoff still in production that you can buy in many places. I answered no and that was the end of it. However, this unprompted sell enquiry left me with a funny feeling about who is browsing through the profiles, so I decided to erase my collection to avoid this from happening again. 😔 

This has happened to me several times. I don't understand why - if I wanted to sell I would have them in Souk. But nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't happen too often, a simple no will do.

12 months ago 1

Hi DieNase,

I guess there´s no harm on their side to ask around, because... well...  this is a perfume-loving platform and I do think it's wonderful to interact and exchange comments and opinions about perfume stuff. It did feel weird though, probably bc I'm kind of new here and was not used to it. 

12 months ago

Similar to what Cocopah mentioned, my unease comes from both the method and motivations of these scouts on a site where members express and share in good faith. Some go away with a "no", other times they'll wheedle or try to build a rapport before trying again. At this point I don't reply at all and I'm weighing up moving my main collection to a private folder. That's fine for now, but I'd prefer a solution that's proactive in protecting the community, as I doubt they'd hesitate to rip off or scam if given the opportunity.

12 months ago 2

If you receive such messages, report it to us immediately - we will take care of it!

12 months ago 2

Just had a look into my mailbox and noticed that some if these messages came from the same person, sometimes several times for the same scent with several months in-between. Don, I'll send you a message.

12 months ago 2

MRoth,

I've never experienced anything like this. No, of course is not acceptable.

🍀

What I did experience, someone says want to buy  something (decant, or bottle, from Souk),  I unlock my payment methods, there is my name, Paypal, bank account…. I expect payment, but it does not happen. Furthermore, no more response. Silence. 

- Only new users do it. Without to say at least “no thanks , I changed my mind to buy it”.

🍀

That someone  asking if I want to sell perfume, from my collection (which is not in the Souk. and which is not in "bottles to go" list), I had this situation few times.

Once, I said yes, the bottle can go (I still had a backup bottle). I wanted €65 (that's how much I paid myself);+ €10 shipping costs; fragrance was discontinued, but still available (for a slightly higher price that I asked for)).
I didn't have to sell it, I accepted, because I thought one bottle was enough, and this man needs perfume...
"I only have €50"
- I have blocked this person, because 
Emotionally it felt very unpleasant.

🍀

These people, I understand, are looking for good perfumes cheaply.

🍀
Personally, I would never dare to message someone, asking, "Would you like to sell me a perfume from your collection". I think it's just rude to do something like that.
But there are probably the people who think differently 😊.

10 months ago

Got one asking me to join a facebook group recently but looking at the message just now it says the person’s account has been permanently disabled which is good to hear. 

What also annoys me is obvious attempts in the form to sound like they are discussing the topic but oh what’s that I see? A blue set of text that links you to some perfume website? Yeah, reported and it vanished soon after 😊

10 months ago
Mitchcraft

Got one asking me to join a facebook group recently but looking at the message just now it says the person’s account has been permanently disabled which is good to hear. 

What also annoys me is obvious attempts in the form to sound like they are discussing the topic but oh what’s that I see? A blue set of text that links you to some perfume website? Yeah, reported and it vanished soon after 😊

Had that same message as well, I suspect the account got hacked and the messages where meant to be a phishing attempt. A lot that is going around at the moment.

10 months ago
EmberRose
Mitchcraft

Had that same message as well, I suspect the account got hacked and the messages where meant to be a phishing attempt. A lot that is going around at the moment.

Oh maybe time to make sure our passwords are strong if that could be the case.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Unsolicited messages from new accounts
Jump to