Search Forum

Your over-hyped duds?

Your over-hyped duds? 10 months ago 2

Ever hear about a fragrance that is so well liked, that people have been raving about it. Then when you finally get round to smelling it you're just like why?

Had this happen to me when I tested these:

Aventus, Fahrenheit, Acqua di Gio Profumo, La Nuit de L'Homme.

10 months ago 2

I felt this way about Not a Perfume (Eau de Parfum)Not a Perfume Eau de Parfum and all other JHAG fragrances I've tried. There's something off-putting about their offerings. I dont know what it is but the dislike is strong.

10 months ago 1

La Belle and La Belle Le Parfum or whatever it's called by JPG, Blessed Barakka by Initio, Tonka Cola by Mancera, almost all Montales, Shalimar Edp by Guerlain.

Last edited by VaivaK95 on 27.05.2023, 17:33; edited 2 times in total
10 months ago 1

For me it was Sauvage ElixirSauvage Elixir

Hearing how much a beast it was and a wonderful scent I thought it would be much better than what it is and was very glad I got it as a sample instead of paying the crazy niche prices for it.

I bought the clone instead AsadAsad as I read some people saying they actually preferred that due to the vanilla which is a note we like a lot in my family.

Strangely enough I forgot when ordering Luna Rossa CarbonLuna Rossa Carbon that they were said to be alike but I actually like Carbon.

Another was Club de Nuit Intense Man (Eau de Toilette)Club de Nuit Intense Man Eau de Toilette

I was so glad I got a clone because although it’s pretty nice I was at the time early in to collecting and looking at the note breakdown I was astonished that it was basically a smoked pineapple scent with a little lemon in the opening. I was wondering where all the notes were and would have been very upset to have spent £300+ on such a simple fragrance.

Those are the 2 off the top of my head that comes to mind.

10 months ago 1

For the affordables, it was Bentley for Men Intense. Initially, I liked it as an affordable leather scent that is a quick lesson if someone will like the note. However, I smelled better leather scents such as Fahrenheit, Tuscan Leather, Ombre Leather, etc. This made Bentley for Men Intense useless.

For the mainline designers, I see the hype train trying to start on Y EDP Intense.  I liked the theory of a Y EDP that muted the sweetness. However, it turned into a normal fresh scent that goes too heavy on patchouli.  

For niche, it's The Night. It becomes one of the best oud/rose/saffron combo available when it dries down.  However, the opening is a rancid barnyard smell, and I have to wait almost two hours before getting to the good part.  It's an experience, but not one worth $1000+ USD.

10 months ago 1

Never understood the love for BR540, came back to add Possibilities. 

10 months ago
Cocopah

Ah, I've heard about BR540 but I have Cloud which is meant to be a clone of it. So I have no intentions of testing BR540.

10 months ago
EmberRose
Cocopah

Ah, I've heard about BR540 but I have Cloud which is meant to be a clone of it. So I have no intentions of testing BR540.

I don't own BR540 but I tested it several times and smelled it frequently on others. I would say BR540 and Cloud share the same burnt sugar note but my nose could be deceiving me. 

10 months ago

I succumbed to the hype and blind bought Atlantis (V.2)Atlantis (V.2) . Admittedly it did smell interesting and was a neat take on a blue, but man the performance was maybe 20 minutes before it faded away into the ether leaving my skin naked and scentless. 100$ I'll never get back.

Interlude ManInterlude Man was another one I blind bought due to hype. It was like...all the incense with nothing to round it out. Got a lot of compliments that day but it wasn't worth the headache it gave me. Bottle looks great on the shelf though, I've always loved the Amouage bottle designs.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions Your over-hyped duds?
Jump to