Search Forum

Parfumo/Fragrantica

101 - 125 by 177
11 years ago
Sherapop:
Dlane1953:
Calm is good. I really dislike the drama I see on the "F" site on a regular basis. I was there today, and I have a warning for the rest of the fragrance world:
Oh no! More "Enchanted Forest" samples are being released on the world! Take cover!

Laughing

I've never visited the review pages of Fragrantica, but, like a car accident, I'm perversely tempted to look. Shocked
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Perverse is right! Well, I'm exagerating; some are very well done, some are "OMG I LOVE THIS STUFF" sort of posts. Lots of those, with footnotes that are inappropriate according to the guidelines of F., such as "PM me if you want to buy this, I don' like". They seem to have only a few moderators so they can't keep the site tidy and regular like Parfumo.

Well, moderating over 300,000 members (assuming a huge chunk are active; but probably not) compared to maybe a few hundred (an assumption) on Parfumo is a bit of a difference. But those review posts irk me too.
11 years ago
Just this morning, one of the topics over at Fragrantica was, "Your favorite reviewer" and members listed their favorites. Some names came up again and again, so there must be something to their validity of reviews.

My favorite reviewers are:
Nopasho
RosaMilena
Missk

(My name was not among those because I hardly write reviews, my exposure is more social than writing reviews.)
The Parfumo Points 11 years ago
Another thing that sets Parfumo apart from Fragrantica is the Parfumo Point System.

The Point System is a positive incentive, something like a yard stick. Points for work, be it reviews, photos, corrections, database additions, I mean effort gets rewarded. The "effort" is painless because it is carried by the perfume passion.

At Fragrantica only balloons get awarded or knocked off. The measuring is not exact. There is no reward system at all.
11 years ago
Last edited by Cryptic on 01.05.2013, 00:14; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
That's true. Nopasho. Although he has been invited by me, he is not here. YET. Smile
11 years ago
I must act nice. I must act nice.
Last edited by Cryptic on 01.05.2013, 00:16; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
The more diversity, the better. That is what makes PARFUMO great.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Wonderful! I can't wait to read him dissecting fragrances down to their subatomic particles. Bless your heart for inviting him.

To the point! I second this.
11 years ago
Pipette:
Just this morning, one of the topics over at Fragrantica was, "Your favorite reviewer" and members listed their favorites. Some names came up again and again, so there must be something to their validity of reviews.

Nopasho
RosaMilena
Missk

(My name was not among those because I hardly write reviews, my exposure is more social than writing reviews.)

Pipette, I remember how I hated these threads over there...-
"My favourite reviewer..." and the conflicts they caused because people felt they were left out or not appreciated.
I also remember how I hated the agitated, sometimes hysterical atmossphere of the site.
Well, I'm very happy here and I think that those who need a change/want a change will certainly make their way to Parfumo...no special appeals needed, I'm sure.
11 years ago
I am so totally out of the loop. Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes I never posted OVER THERE.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
I just looked at some of Nopasho's reviews. They are extremely long. Isn't there a maximum number of words here per review at Parfumo? I know there is a minimum, and hoping there IS a maximum as well. Call me lazy, but a perfume review that is the length of a short novel is overkill.

You don't have to continue reading it if it does not appeal to you.
11 years ago
Last edited by Cryptic on 01.05.2013, 00:17; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Gold:
Pipette:

Nopasho
RosaMilena
Missk

Pipette, I remember how I hated these threads over there...-
"My favourite reviewer..." and the conflicts they caused because people felt they were left out or not appreciated.
I also remember how I hated the agitated, sometimes hysterical atmossphere of the site.
Well, I'm very happy here and I think that those who need a change/want a change will certainly make their way to Parfumo...no special appeals needed, I'm sure.

Boldface emphasis added. I have, time and again, invited people to let them in on a good thing. Some are now posting on both platforms, all the while being discreet and not bad-mouthing one over the other. There are good features to both websites. I love the visual possibilities on Fragrantica. I like that a YouTube video contribution shows in its entire visual impact instead just a dry URL line.

So, in the morning I just make the rounds. A little here, a little there.
11 years ago
Nopasho does not write unkind reviews.

We had a long topic, "The Arabian Perfume Oil Experiment" and his contributions were right on the mark and very helpful. He also has written countless posts just to Newcomers how to arrange their bottles on the wardrobe shelves, and general introductory help.
11 years ago
Last edited by Cryptic on 01.05.2013, 00:19; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Last edited by Cryptic on 01.05.2013, 00:25; edited 2 times in total
11 years ago
Cincy:
I am so totally out of the loop. Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes I never posted OVER THERE.

So much the better, I daresay.
11 years ago
Gold:
Cincy:

So much the better, I daresay.

Gold I am beginning to think so too.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Without mentioning names, gratuitous derogatory opinions about the sexuality and sexual practices of others have absolutely no place in a perfume review. Ever.

So true. Such remarks have no place - anywhere.

I'm glad I haven't come across them in a perfume review yet...- don't seem to be familiar with the reviewers you're talking about.
Proof of the fact that Parfumo operates on a - how do I put it without looking presumptuous - let's say a "more cultured" level.
Re: The Parfumo Points 11 years ago
Pipette:
Another thing that sets Parfumo apart from Fragrantica is the Parfumo Point System.

The Point System is a positive incentive, something like a yard stick. Points for work, be it reviews, photos, corrections, database additions, I mean effort gets rewarded. The "effort" is painless because it is carried by the perfume passion.

At Fragrantica only balloons get awarded or knocked off. The measuring is not exact. There is no reward system at all.

Exactly. Why would anyone to set up a system like Fragrantica's that seems purposefully designed to create conflict and petty retribution? Rolling Eyes

I will not look, I will not look, I will not look, I will not look, I will not look... Sad
Re: The Parfumo Points 11 years ago
Greysolon:
Exactly. Why would anyone to set up a system like Fragrantica's that seems purposefully designed to create conflict and petty retribution? Rolling Eyes

I guess it wasn't done on purpose, it seems to be the result of a lack of intelligence.
"Negative" reviews disappear from the site, since people vote them down. A stupid sytem. But... probably not intentionally designed. When Zoka started a couple of years ago, he didn't map it all out carefully and logically. The trouble is that he hardly ever gets rid of the "bad stuff" on his site. He just sticks to it, inflexible and stubborn.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Parfumo/Fragrantica
101 - 125 by 177
Jump to