Search Forum

I once saw/met ...

1 - 25 by 36
I once saw/met ... 11 years ago
Ever had a brush with someone well-known or famous? Your chance to share!

Off the top of my head:

I once stood next to fashion designer Zandra Rhodes on the Tube in London.

I once met Katy Manning, the actress who played Doctor Who's assistant Jo Grant. She bought something at a house auction I was working on.

Both these women are very small Smile
11 years ago
Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman, in the mall in Cincinnati. Spoke hi to him like I knew him and he spoke hi to me like he knew me. Rolling Eyes Hubby asked Brandon Phillips (Reds player) to bowl with me. They laughed about it, wasn't a bit funny to me.

Johnny Bench Reds player talked to him at a golf game.

I don't think these people are famous shhhhh don't tell them that.

They are well known.
11 years ago
I attended the same high school as Kobe Bryant. He was an astounding talent and always dressed well. Beyond that, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with anything positive to say. Laughing
11 years ago
I live close to the Medinah Country Club, which is where a lot of golf tournaments are held (like the U.S. Open). I went once when I was little, and Bill Murray was a caddy for one of the golfers. He passed by me and said, "Hello and good afternoon to you!" and kept going. Lol. He's known for randomly appearing in different places.

I also met Mark Grace, Ryne Sandberg, and Harry Carey at a Chicago Cubs convention when I was 7.

My cousins work in LA: one is a film editor, the other is a makeup artist. My cousin's daughter (from another cousin) lives with them and is an intern. So they run into/see people all the time. The makeup artist went to Christina Applegate's kid's birthday party.
11 years ago
I watched Venus Williams pratice for the Family Circle Cup, here on Daniel Island. Our walking trail winds around the back of the practice court. Just her and her coach and father.
11 years ago
Quite a few years back, Jean-Paul Guerlain had a fashion event appearance in Saks Fifth Avenue department store in New York City. I made the line to have a personal session with the perfumer. My eyes were blindfolded and I had to sniff various paper strips with Guerlain scents sprayed on them and say, how well I liked them.

The crowd was watching while the perfumer then decided that according what I picked, that Shalimar was best for me. (Vintage Shalimar). He said that when using a perfume with a stopper on the skin that after dabbing to be sure to finish with wiping the stopper on a piece of my clothing not to let get skin particles get into the fragrance which will eventually spoil it. His words: "And that, from the Nose himself." He said that he would autograph my purchase.

Being poor as I was, I did not then purchase the expensive full bottle. But "Shalimar" was purchased even before the interview in smaller decants here and there, because it truly was my favorite perfume.

He was nice. He spoke with a French accent. He looked tired after so many interviews with the next, the next ...

It was a thrill for me.
11 years ago
I got a glimpse of Sissy Spacek at the Albemarle Mall in Charlottesville ,Virginia- no makeup, hair pulled back in a pony tail, wearing a beige raincoat, and pushing a stroller- it was a Tuesday afternoon- I stopped at the makeup counter and asked the SA if that was just Sissy Spacek who walked by, and she said "yeah, she comes here all the time, and no one ever bothers her".

In 2007, while living in Germany, I went with a friend to Altotting in Bavaria because she wanted to see Pope Benedict, who was expected to visit- I fully expected that we wouldn't get even a glimpse of him, but she begged me to go, and I went along with her. We were standing outside behind a cordon, playing the waiting game- when all of a sudden, a bunch of buses arrived, and scads of nuns and priests poured out of them- before we knew it, we were in a crush of people, and got rushed into the church- and had the lovely experience of attending at Vespers, which was led by Pope Benedict- we were just about 14 rows from the front of the altar. I kept expecting someone to throw us out, since we clearly weren't clergy or nuns, but it didn't happen!

In 2010, I was working at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm- I ran a small gift/snack shop there, and one of my more humble tasks was to fill up the soda machines in the waiting room in the consulate. While doing this, I noticed that a can had exploded inside the machine, so I called the housekeeping staff to come and clean it up. After the housekeepers arrived, one of them said- "did you see who was in the waiting room?". It turns out that it was Benny Andersson from Abba, probably getting his passport stamped for a trip to the U.S., since Abba had just been inaugurated into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I said "Let's go and introduce ourselves to him" and she said "sure"- well, I did just that- I just said "Hi, I'm a fan"- and he junmped up amd shook my hand- he was thinner than I remembered, and rather tall, but then I noticed that he was wearing platform shoes (very -70s, eh?) I thought that the housekeepers were with me, but they stood behind the door, snickering at me-

I got a glimpse of REM guitarist Peter Buck and Peter Holsapple, who also played guitar with them on tour, at the airport in Atlanta- he looked about 7 feet tall, walking down the middle of the aisle, looking like he owned the place-
11 years ago
I met all of the Ravens Rookies in 2012. We got a poster with all of their pictures and we went down the line getting autographs. I think my niece had more fun than the kids, she was all flustered at the sight of all that testosterone.
11 years ago
A few years back I had the pleasure of standing right before lovely Isabella Rosselini (giving autographs)at the Frankfurt Book Fair. She really looked as beautiful as in the Lancome ads.
11 years ago
I once saw Honor Blackman at Dulwich Gallery and she is still as beautiful and glamourous as when she was young.
I have made a sandwich for Adam Faith.
Whilst shopping in my local Waitrose, Ronnie Corbett was also getting in the groceries. I was rather impressed by the fact he goes shopping sans wife!
There may be others but my memory for names and faces is appalling, no matter how famous they are!
11 years ago
As a student, my union job was the social secretary, and to organise the evening entertainments. We quite often had interesting guests playing. I cannot remember them all. One evening was to look after Gary Glitter and his band and we got them all pizzas afterwards. He is not exactly tall and was very nice. Another evening was to look after Bad Manners. Buster Bloodvessel gave me a kiss afterwards for looking after them. I didn't wash that cheek for a while. I was just a bit besotted. They were a brilliant party band and pretty famous at the time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJHzbnwgOX4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9csSb-H9GE

We sat at a restaurant table once next to George Michael and his friend when our son was just one. We were very respectful of their privacy, well as much as you can be with a small infant. Just before they left, they had to squeeze past us, so they had a chatter with us for a small moment and we were able to say how lovely the latest album was. He is very handsome and extremely smart in real life.

I was working at a music console exhibition and Stevie Wonder came over with his entourage and spoke to the chaps on our stand. I'm not going to say the obvious.

Can't think of any more. That's enough for one person though.
10 years ago
While working for my senator as in intern in college, I was in the Capitol Building in Washington,D.C., and the halls were crowded as the bells were ringing for a vote. I was stuck with all the representatives hurrying to place their vote. Ahead of me was a woman with a huge hat. I knew she must be Bella Abzug, the famous woman's liberationist, an author, a lawyer and a US Representative. I decided to tap her on the shoulder. She turned to me and I told her I had read her books on women's liberation and we spoke for a short while on the importance of women in politics and today's world. It was a wonderfully important moment for me.

My daughter and I were walking past the Ed Sullivan Theater in Manhattan when Paul Shaffer stuck his head out the side door and called us over. (Ok, he asked for a light for a cig.) He asked us where we where from. We told him and he struck up a conversation with us. He told us who was on the show that evening, took some photos with us, was exceedingly nice and we went on our way.

I went to a Democratic function where Al Gore was the speaker along with various other Democrats from around the United States. After it was over, people were milling about talking. Suddenly, Al Gore and Bobby Kennedy, Jr. appeared in front of me and asked if I had any questions/concerns for them. I then proceeded to talk about the environment and homeschooling issues with them. I always felt I gave my two cents to two very public figures.

I lived in Florida when Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman filmed the movie "Days Of Thunder". I was lucky enough to be chosen as an extra for the movie. I did have an opportunity to meet him. He's short! but has a dazzling smile, that's for sure.

I also did some modeling in Florida with the Nascar wives in Daytona with one of the department stores for a benefit. During a break, Richard Petty came up to me and we had a wonderful conversation about life in Florida, and everything but Nascar. (I actually wasn't a fan of racing.) He was a lovely guy.

That's what I can remember for now...
10 years ago
Dlane1953:
Sorceress, you've led a very interesting life! Thanks for sharing these moments with us.

Plus 1
I met the mayor of my husbands home town....... had dinner with him and his family.

He is my husbands uncle Laughing
Last edited by Cincy on 13.11.2013, 15:54; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
I received a very friendly email from Andy Tauer.
10 years ago
Sleuth:
I received a very friendly email from Andy Tauer.

Lol. He is a sweet man, isn't he?
10 years ago
I used to be surrounded by interesting people. Now my social life is boring - changed the pink pill with a white one

Also, I have met Santa Claus many times. Mostly in childhood.
10 years ago
LaughingLaughingLaughing
10 years ago
I went trick or treating at Kevin Plank's house this year. I see and talk to him and/or his wife sometimes when I am at work.
10 years ago
WolfM:

Also, I have met Santa Claus many times. Mostly in childhood.

I never met Santa Claus. I never thought he existed until I was an adult and had kids, either....
10 years ago
Laughing
10 years ago
It's true. My big brother told me he didn't exist when I was four years old on Christmas Eve. That was the end of that. My family just didn't have a thing for Santa, I guess. But when I was married and had children, I became this huge believer in the fat, jolly guy. So much, that when my oldest came home at age 10 and asked me if Santa existed, I told him with a straight face, "He does. If you believe, he does. In your heart. He really exists." I just couldn't give him a straight answer....
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic I once saw/met ...
1 - 25 by 36
Jump to