Search Forum

Basenotes/Parfumo Comparison

1 - 25 by 120
Basenotes/Parfumo Comparison 11 years ago
Being a member on both sites, I will speak fairly about both.

Basenotes is large, filled with enthusiastic old timers who now are experiencing the glitsches of a major technical overhaul.

Those technical glitsches may get ironed out, in due time, with the onsite technical support from Huddler.

What struck me is that after a poll, 3/4th of the members prefer the old version.

What also struck me as odd are the complaints: "Where is my wardrobe, where are my bottles ?" As if the membership desperately needs their "bread and circus games" ... just to be happy, before any serious discussions about perfumes, perfumery and the rest of the world can begin. A more serious complaint is that Personal Blog Articles are temporarily not accessible.

As many know each other, they hate to give up a good and familiar virtual congregation room.

As far as Parfumo, cleverly the membership is marshalled into contributing to solidify the existing database of perfumes. In no time, the proposals have brought up the databank to an impressive number. (A tally shows that as of June 4, 2013, Parfumo has 27,265 Perfumes, BN has 21,422 and Frag has 18,277.)

How did the other websites - BN and Frag - not see that option ? Over there, the entries are haphazard and the queue gets longer and longer ... a wasteful way of information harnassing.

What is missing here on Parfumo is a SECTION for Do-it-yourself Perfumers which is rather solid in Basenotes.

What is good here on Parfumo is the Idea and Undertaking of "Tags". Tags are so easy to apply because the highlights of the scent are already mentioned in a regular review.

A databank of "Tags" can also be founded and filled. What to do with the "Tags" then ? Well, for one thing, try to compare the Parfumo-Member "Tags" with the "Tags" that are usually bestowed upon fragrances when Marketing of the company writes the review.

Thus, how much are we (the members) prejudiced by what we have already read in the Marketing literature ... and how much are we (the members) astute in nailing "Tags" to scents ?

Since all virtual developments are "in flux" anyhow ... there is still room for improvements ... one thing is certain, changes there will be, and be bold, because

**Change Is Good**
Last edited by Pipette on 04.06.2013, 12:16; edited 5 times in total
11 years ago
First of all, I really like BN. It is actually the community where my perfume hobby started before eventually, I found Parfumo.

BN is a fantastic ressource for perfume reviews - although the focus might have changed a little during the past 2 years towards the forum. I miss contributions by some great reviewers they had a few years ago (and of course I wish they would come here).

The main difference between BN and Parfumo now is that BN runs on a standard solution provided by Huddler whereas the Parfumo site is individually developed and customised for the needs of this community - and will be developed further!

A standard software solution is always second best to the users; they might have to compromise. It will probably not be so easy to invent new features as it is on Parfumo. On the other hand, BN will not have to look after the technical part. They do not have to employ their own developer(s).

The Huddler sites all look more or less the same. Their business model seems to be to migrate communities to their platform for free but then take (most of) the income from the ads.

The number of visitors displayed at the new BN site does not look very encouraging to me at the moment. I think it is a good idea to give them some support when there is the chance to do so.
11 years ago
I prefer the discussion forum at BN not because of better content or structure, but rather higher site traffic and participation on the boards. If Parfumo can get more people to post and participate in the forums that would be the final piece of the puzzle leading to its success long-term, IMO.

The site format, functionality and overall community here is far superior, IMO. I think with the recent Huddler issues this is a golden opportunity for BN folks to check out Parfumo and make up their own minds.

I want both sites to succeed truly, but I confess as a reviewer I used to look to post on BN first, but now with their DB and review format problems I post first on Parfumo and I doubt that will ever change as I am hooked. I just wish the discussion groups could really get going here as mentioned earlier...
11 years ago
Drseid:
If Parfumo can get more people to post and participate in the forums that would be the final piece of the puzzle leading to its success long-term, IMO.

Oh yes, that is true. Maybe Don can post some ads for Parfumo on the net. Many people who would be interested do not know us. We must reach a point where we can attract people that had no previous account at one of the other community sites.

BTW, the numbers of visitors are growing. Smile
11 years ago
I really...REALLY like the new Basenotes format. I have lurked there for a good part of a year. I don't have much to contribute as my tastes differ than a majority of the topics on there. But Basenotes is a nice resource to buy perfumes from other collectors as well as get ideas for gifts of male fragrances.

Parfumo International is continually growing, and it will take time for members to establish their niche here. For now, I enjoy it.
11 years ago
I just registered here and looove this site! So much better than Basenotes
11 years ago
Lisky:
Change is good, but this looks like a cool place too Wink

Creatica:
I just registered here and looove this site! So much better than Basenotes

Lisky and Creatica, welcome to Parfumo! I have been a member at both sites and my experience is that this is by far the more welcoming place. Just jump in and start contributing, whether it's reviews or on the forums. Very Happy
11 years ago
Greysolon:
Lisky and Creatica, welcome to Parfumo! I have been a member at both sites and my experience is that this is by far the more welcoming place. Just jump in and start contributing, whether it's reviews or on the forums. Very Happy
I'll second that! Very Happy
11 years ago
MiaTrost:
Greysolon:

+Three
11 years ago
Cincy:
MiaTrost:
Greysolon:

+Three

+Four...although there are certain aspects of Basenotes I do enjoy too.
11 years ago
I see no problem with loyalties to more than one site. It is possible to love a brother and sister equally and without favour. The function and the ease for the user will gain the attendance because it is a real bore to have to leave any site because a vital piece of function is no longer there. If that is all in one place then it will be a natural thing to stay.

The ability to be able to make a direct contribution to the directory will mean more loyalty when some of the creation has been made by the users. I am a new member here and have been forced to look around because the information I wanted wasn't where it used to be and I needed it.

I like it here and have been made to feel very welcome immediately. I like that because I am human.
11 years ago
Apicius:
First of all, I really like BN. It is actually the community where my perfume hobby started before eventually, I found Parfumo.

BN is a fantastic ressource for perfume reviews - although the focus might have changed a little during the past 2 years towards the forum. I miss contributions by some great reviewers they had a few years ago (and of course I wish they would come here).

The main difference between BN and Parfumo now is that BN runs on a standard solution provided by Huddler whereas the Parfumo site is individually developed and customised for the needs of this community - and will be developed further!

A standard software solution is always second best to the users; they might have to compromise. It will probably not be so easy to invent new features as it is on Parfumo. On the other hand, BN will not have to look after the technical part. They do not have to employ their own developer(s).

The Huddler sites all look more or less the same. Their business model seems to be to migrate communities to their platform for free but then take (most of) the income from the ads.

The number of visitors displayed at the new BN site does not look very encouraging to me at the moment. I think it is a good idea to give them some support when there is the chance to do so.

The new Huddler ( to me) is an improvement over the plodding and crash prone V-Bulletin previously used.

The only thing I miss about that site are the contributions ( and internet friendships ) from a handful of veteran members who have now seemingly disappeared. I suppose everything is cyclical. The redundancy of threads there is problematic and that can be chalked up to membership inflation and unwillingness to "search".

Vibert, Scentimental, Pluran, Foetidus were ( and still are ) exceptional reviewers who have apparently gone on to other things. mrclrmnd, Mimi Gardenia, Shamu and a few others are also notables that have stopped posting. They are missed since their contributions were ones of quality.
11 years ago
AromiErotici:
Vibert, Scentimental, Pluran, Foetidus were ( and still are ) exceptional reviewers who have apparently gone on to other things. mrclrmnd, Mimi Gardenia, Shamu and a few others are also notables that have stopped posting. They are missed since their contributions were ones of quality.

Oh, yes, I agree, Aromi. I especially liked the short but brilliant reviews by SirSlarty.
11 years ago
Slarty lives not far from my origins in Philadelphia and we did some transactions over the years. He was ( and is ) a person of integrity.

His reviews, as succinct as they were, proved to be great counterpoints when perusing opinions from multiple reviewers. I completely agree with your assessment.

His problem was he actually believed his reviews sucked, but since he has a "compulsive" behavior, he couldn't stop reviewing for quite some time.....lol......Him and I had a short conversation about that once.....
11 years ago
If you still have some contact to him, please invite him over! Smile
11 years ago
The Die-Hards will stay loyal to each website, no matter what, because they have forged friendships over the years.

A solid databank will make the difference for outside eyes.

Actually, it is so easy to go to various places ... with a vew keystrokes.

Like on Campus, go from place to place and learn something in different buildings.
11 years ago
Apicius:
If you still have some contact to him, please invite him over! Smile

I believe he's "done" with the hobby due to personal upheavals and transaction problems he encountered selling fragrances to disreputable members over there. He got burned one time too many from what I understand.

Too bad........he is a nice guy.
11 years ago
As a perfume site Parfumo has so many wonderful features.

With only a handful of high-level participants the forum, however, runs the risk of looking cliquey. I don't know what you can do to avoid this, other than grow the membership and hope the site traffic improves. It just seems to me that others, not being in the know, might feel uncomfortable about joining in.
11 years ago
Seatonica:
As a perfume site Parfumo has so many wonderful features.

With only a handful of high-level participants the forum, however, runs the risk of looking cliquey. I don't know what you can do to avoid this, other than grow the membership. It just seems to me that others, not being in the know, might feel uncomfortable about joining in.

We can all help avoid such impressions.

Please leave a welcome note on the wall if you see a new user. Also, please pay some attention to their first postings and reviews. It is a good thing to leave some encouraging words under a first review.
11 years ago
Seatonica:
With only a handful of high-level participants the forum, however, runs the risk of looking cliquey

Everybody is free to join in. New threads are continuously added, so people will post when something resonates with them. As you said, things will improve as the membership grows. Smile
11 years ago
Apicius:
We can all help avoid such impressions.

Please leave a welcome note on the wall if you see a new user. Also, please pay some attention to their first postings and reviews. It is a good thing to leave some encouraging words under a first review.

A great idea and constructive advice as usual Apicius.

I'm not someone who is backwards in coming forwards but even I feel on the outer sometimes if I haven't been following some of the on-going conversations closely. So I'm re-assured to know it's no bother to flit in and out of the room Smile
11 years ago
I don't mean to be a critic, just saying my experience with basenotes: they have technical problems, and they had them since forever, it's a constant issue. And it's extremely, I mean extremely off-putting.

On the other hand, it's - at the moment - the best place to read perfume reviews. Even if even that works hellish slow and awkward. There are a lot of real connoisseurs who know what perfumes are about. Again, negative side - a good deal of snobs too. That includes the vintage trend snobbery.

________

Parfumo, from my point of view is still very green, still not very active, and I don't know if it will be what some believe it will be - the next big thing. I see a lot of members here who come from the other big 2 sites. So... most cigarettes from the package have already been smoked elsewhere.

Technically, it's better than the other 2 though. And I see the potential..
11 years ago
If you read the German version (parfumo.de), you will find lots more activity over there. I don't post there as I do not know how to write or speak German, but thank goodness for Google Translate so I can read!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Basenotes/Parfumo Comparison
1 - 25 by 120
Jump to