Search Forum

I have been.......

2026 - 2050 by 2160
10 years ago
I have been concerned about a very sweet colleague who had a heart attack shoveling the 13.5" of snow. You'd think his neighbors would have cleared for him (he's older). Pisses me off that people are so self-absorbed.
10 years ago
Cryptic:
I have been concerned about a very sweet colleague who had a heart attack shoveling the 13.5" of snow. You'd think his neighbors would have cleared for him (he's older). Pisses me off that people are so self-absorbed.

I'm sorry to hear that, Cyptic. Sad
10 years ago
valandria:
I have been doing rain dances here in California. 80 degrees in January just isn't right. They are talking water rationing soon if we don't get rain - I don't want my yard and plants to all die.

That's why I love my indigenous plants so much. I ignore the crap out of those things and they refuse to die!

Also, my ZZ plants (Zamioculcas zamiifolia), though not native to the US, thrive on spotty attention as well. I have some outside getting 70% direct sunlight, and some inside getting zero direct sunlight and they all thrive for years and years and years. I have yet to kill one. You can starve them, over water them, let them get potbound, whatever, they don't care!
10 years ago
Cryptic:

That's pretty sad. I was just reading how shoveling snow is exceptionally hard work and that if you are older you should get a clearance from your doctor first.
10 years ago
valandria:
Cryptic:

That's pretty sad. I was just reading how shoveling snow is exceptionally hard work and that if you are older you should get a clearance from your doctor first.

That makes sense. I'm sure it doesn't help that it's not something people do all the time, so there's no muscle memory. It's probably like exercising vigorously all of a sudden after couch potatoing for 6 months. And if your ticker is in bad shape . . . It actually looks like something only the very fit should be doing!

Cryptic,How is he doing?
10 years ago
So sad, Cryptic. Pity people are like this. Karma is a bitch. Every neighborhood has a mixed bag just as our world. I always feel if I can lay my head down on my pillow at night without guilt, then I've had a good day. People don't think about their neighbors any more. Unless they want to gossip, it seems. And that I walk away from. I truly hope your colleague heals well.
10 years ago
Cryptic:

I know what you mean Cryptic. After I work 12 hours in the snow, I come home and shovel my walk along with my neighbor's who is 85 years old. Nobody moves their car on snow days but me. It seems like one of those parents would send their teenagers out to shovel his snow but nooooooo, I'm out there at 9 o'clock at night doing it.

It's a shame and kind of disrespectful to me that nobody goes over to help him.

I hope your friend comes back strong and realizes he should wait for help next time.
10 years ago
It is strenuous, val. People who live in the suburbs usually have snowblowers, which help tremendously. This poor man lives in Center City Philadelphia with only a few feet of sidewalk to clear in front of his house, but when the snow is deep and heavy that's still a strain.

Thanks, Dulce. Smile He had a catheterization and a couple stents put in and is doing okay, thank goodness, but will be out of work for a bit. He got out of the hospital today and we'll probably pay him a visit on Sunday if he's up for company.

Thanks Sorceress! I have days when people make me want to scream into a wadded-up pillow, you know? Mad

Dig, of course you help people out. You're one of the good ones. xo
10 years ago
Cryptic,
After this scare ,maybe your friend will be inspired to improve his health. After my grandma had a heart attack in her fifties, her doctor said, "If you don't do X, Y and Z, you won't live to be an old lady." She took his advice and lived to be old as dirt. I love that doc and his tough love.
10 years ago
Thanks for the update on your friend Cryptic. They say shoveling snow is really a strain on the heart, even more so in the early morning.
10 years ago
I have been decorating the buffet for Valentine's Day.
10 years ago
I have been a trooper braving this obscenely cold weather. I have been upping spa day from once a week to once every other day.
10 years ago
Ooh, what happens on spa day?
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Cryptic,
After this scare ,maybe your friend will be inspired to improve his health. After my grandma had a heart attack in her fifties, her doctor said, "If you don't do X, Y and Z, you won't live to be an old lady." She took his advice and lived to be old as dirt. I love that doc and his tough love.

Your Grandma was a lucky woman, Dulcemio, to have a doctor like that, and also survive her heart attack. My only brother, had a heart attack at 47 years old. He had no prior signs and was a marathon runner. He did not survive. Nor did he know he had heart disease. He came home from work with some mild pain that he thought was indigestion. He passed away in the middle of the night. I miss him greatly. I wish he had had warning signs. Something, anything, but he did not.

But from that, I realized to live my life to the fullest. But safely, treating my body with the utmost respect. (I always did, but now it became a passion.) We never know what the next day holds in our universe, but we do know what we are responsible for today within ourselves. We can choose to appreciate what we have, or we can choose to abuse ourselves.

Today I visited with my grandson. The first time since his birth. I Skype with him all the time, but it's not the same.

I was showing him himself in the mirror and he was giggling. I managed to capture it. The beauty of his little three-month-old smile is so beautiful to me. He has truly given me more of an incentive to live my life with many more smiles.
10 years ago
I got a short haircut at my stylist suggestion.
10 years ago
Tessa:
I got a short haircut at my stylist suggestion.

And are you happy with your haircut?
10 years ago
@ Sorceress - your grandson is holding his head up, is smiling.

Love it.

I will start seriously babysitting next month, 2 busses early in the morning, baby care and a lot of down time during the day, train home at night.

Less virtual involvement, the real life takes over.
10 years ago
Sorceress,

Your brother passing so young must've been tough, tough, tough for you and your family. Heart disease can be so cruelly stealthy. My condolences.
10 years ago
And please do share more photos of that cute baby! Can always use some of those to brighten the day.
10 years ago
@Sorceress, "they say" that the first sign of a heart attack is often death, it's true. My brother has serious heart disease. He was lucky enough to get an AICD and has been living with it now for more than 10 years. Anytime he is doing something strenuous, it shocks his heart back into a regular rhythm but always requires a hospital stay. He continues to work every day but he is just killing himself slowly. When he got his AICD put in, his ejection fraction was only 37%. Sorry you lost your brother so young.

Off Topic: Im seeing baby photos rather frequently these days. I think I might be getting the baby bug Rolling Eyes
10 years ago
As I said, it taught me to live each day with gusto, so to speak. And to be able to lay my head on my pillow with my own peace.

@Pipette: How wonderful! And I love the pic with the dog and your grandson...my grandson has a dog,too. Animals are wonderful with children, aren't they?

And in keeping with the smiley baby pics, here's another one my daughter sent me. Apparently, my grandson likes himself...lol...
10 years ago
He has the greatest smile !!
10 years ago
What a cutie, Sorceress. I want his hat. Razz

I have been....hanging out with my sister. She took a 6 hour flight (plus delays due to icy weather) to come here. I'm so lucky to have a sibling who likes me. She is out running the trail behind my place while I read forums as usual. Very Happy
10 years ago
Oh, that is great to have your sister to visit with you and to like you too. Laughing Have fun, tell your sister your forum buddy said hi.
10 years ago
Thank you Pipette and Hayven!

Hayven, you're so lucky to have your sister come and visit with you. I kind of always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. My brother and I were very close. We used to rock out (I know, old school-term). He and I would blast Jimi Hendrix and all of those back in the day. As we matured (ahem) we still would crank our stereos with our music and rock on...
I have been finally taking down the holiday decorations. Dancing away to Led Zep...
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic I have been.......
2026 - 2050 by 2160
Jump to