Search Forum

Books: what are you reading right now?

226 - 250 by 297
10 years ago
10 years ago
Dalmajen:
Nearly finished The Goldfinch. Terrific book...will be sad for it to finish!

Just bought two new ones! The Kite Runner, and, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both by, Khaled Hosseini.

Loved the Goldfinch.
10 years ago
I'm so glad you loved it, ladies! Have you read Donna Tartt's other books? I highly recommend them.

Last edited by Cryptic on 23.01.2014, 00:41; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
I just finished The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. A bittersweet novel that kept me spellbound throughout most of it.

Just started Tampa - based on the story of Debra LeFeve the junior high teacher who seduced young male students. Oy!
10 years ago
I've downloaded Grain Brain which I think will give e some added insight into what I already believe about diets and healthy food.
10 years ago
I think I will get the Secret History next, after I have finished my new treasures! I liked the story line on that one! Smile
10 years ago
If you do, let me know what you think of the Julian Morrow character, DJ. Smile
10 years ago
Re-reading the Acorna series by Anne McCaffrey. The title character is a real Mary-sue, sure, but I've been on a bit of a nostalgia trip. While some of the books I once loved proved to be rather dour and disappointing upon return (Redemption of Athalus, I'm looking at you!) I find Anne's classic sci-fi novels as simple and sweet as when I first delved into them. The Brainships series will be next.
10 years ago
Charles Krauthammer-Things That Matter.
10 years ago
Today I will start with Roald Dahl´s Collected Short Stories....after finally finishing "The thirteenth tale" (which I highly enjoyed).
10 years ago
10 years ago
Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz - I love a good horror sci-fi and he's one of my favorites. I always get a 'Wow this could actually happen' feeling with most of his books, and he adds lots of humorous touches.
10 years ago
In the Fall by Jeffery Lent

So far this is a good read.
10 years ago
Just finished Gone Girl. Mixed thoughts on this one...I kept hearing raves about it, so went and bought it on the kindle. Story is good, but style of writing is not so great. What are your thoughts on this one? Those of you that have read it.
10 years ago
Cryptic:
If you do, let me know what you think of the Julian Morrow character, DJ. Smile
Will do! As soon as I read it).
10 years ago
Dalmajen:
Just finished Gone Girl. Mixed thoughts on this one...I kept hearing raves about it, so went and bought it on the kindle. Story is good, but style of writing is not so great. What are your thoughts on this one? Those of you that have read it.

It certainly held my attention, Dalmajean, but it was a difficult read at times because the two main characters were both such creeps. I'd be hard-pressed to say which one I disliked more, but it was probably the husband. The wife at least had the excuse of being insane due to her weird upbringing by her horrible parents.

I know what you mean about the writing; Flynn can be awfully brittle and snarky, but she also has some great insights. We all know this guy, for instance:

"In truth, I wanted her to read my mind so I didn't have to stoop to the womanly art of articulation."
10 years ago
"In truth, I wanted her to read my mind so I didn't have to stoop to the womanly art of articulation.:a997a7d8ef]

I'm going to have another go at "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell". I bought it years ago after hearing great things but I only got half way through it... put it down one day and never felt the urge to pick it back up again. Years later someone suggested it to me again and I admitted to them I didn't find it exactly a page turner. They grinned and told me the second half is much more interesting, that the book is almost split into two styles... now, what kind of author does that? Perhaps it's some kind of stubbornness reward? Wink
10 years ago
"Gone Girl," has those pesky stylistic flip flops you mentioned in conjunction with the other book. First it's narrated by the "good" wife, then by the "bad" wife and both of the main characters are unreliable narrators.
10 years ago
Dalmajen:

It certainly held my attention, Dalmajean, but it was a difficult read at times because the two main characters were both such creeps. I'd be hard-pressed to say which one I disliked more, but it was probably the husband. The wife at least had the excuse of being insane due to her weird upbringing by her horrible parents.

I know what you mean about the writing; Flynn can be awfully brittle and snarky, but she also has some great insights. We all know this guy, for instance:

"In truth, I wanted her to read my mind so I didn't have to stoop to the womanly art of articulation.:c6569139ba] Yes, a very sharp story, intended to be discussed! Glad you pointed that part out.... Smile Now, here is one for Horror lovers...haven't read it yet, but have added it to my horror group. I am a S. King fan, but like to read some other ones, now and again. This is supposed to scare the hell out of us....will see when read. here is the link, as don't know how to download pics. It is by Nick Cutter, The Troop. This is only for horror lovers) www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSBR5DA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC _nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GIJV23K8BARU&col iid=I1WU7LLZPWJ2CC
10 years ago
Just finished a spooky thriller. I slept with my mermaid night light on. Shocked

Just one Look by Harlan Coben

I will be searching for more books, first read of his.
10 years ago
Cincy:
Just finished a spooky thriller. I slept with my mermaid night light on. Shocked

Just one Look by Harlan Coben

I will be searching for more books, first read of his.
I have read a few of his, Cincy. I think I read Just one Look sometime last year...can't really remember). He is a good writer, and has some very good stories!
10 years ago
Thanks for the feedback Dal. I will go out after lunch today and see what I can find of his.

This one was about the photograph of Grace Larsons husband Jack Confused One of the women in the photo had an X marked on her face.

That should ring a bell since the plot was about the photo more or less.
10 years ago
Aren't these covers beautiful?! Would it be demented to buy a whole shelf of books you already own just because you're smitten with the bindings? Yes, I thought so.

10 years ago
Demented? Aw, heck no! More like awesome!
10 years ago
I used to think books would be cold without their jackets. Laughing
226 - 250 by 297
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Books: what are you reading right now?
Jump to