Search Forum

Books: what are you reading right now?

251 - 275 by 297
10 years ago
Now they have the Kindle to keep them warm!! Very Happy
10 years ago
Yes Dal, you are correct a kindle of wood to keep the fire going.
LaughingLaughingLaughing
10 years ago
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
10 years ago
Just bought three new ones on my kindle. I have just finished Portrait of a spy, by Daniel Silva. These are the three that I bought.
The troop. A horror by, Nick Cutter
The keeper of lost causes. By, Jussi Adler-Olsen
The Secret History, by, Donna Tartt
Can't wait to read these! I loved my first Donna Tartt, so hope this lives up to the standard! Keeper of the lost causes, was recommended on here, ages ago, and I was waiting to buy this one! The horror is just for in between ...I love a good horror now and again!
10 years ago
Just added The Snow Child to my wish list, Cincy! It sounds like an amazing story!
10 years ago
I thought "The Keeper of Lost Causes" was excellent, DJ. I should warn you that parts of it are upsetting but I hope you'll stick with it because the ending is worth it, I promise.

I'm reading the first diary of Anaïs Nin and the edition must be an expurgated version because it's not explicit; she only hints at her affairs, but still... Did she really sleep with her father?! I'm grossed out to the point of throwing the book away with great force, only I can't, because I'm reading a Kindle download. :/
10 years ago
Just a Warning everyone, or everyone who likes Horror..) Don't read The Troop. It's really revolting! He is trying to be like S. King, but he comes across toooo revolting! Mind you, a teen would probably really like this, but I was a damn fool to buy it, and, an even bigger fool for reading it right to the end! Shocked The Troop, by Nick Cutter.
10 years ago
I will take your advice Dal.
10 years ago
I am reading "Les femmes d'Onassis" in French. Must keep up, and it is good international gossip. There are Artemis Onassis, the great mogul's sister, Christina Onassis, his awkward daughter, and of course, Jackie Kennedy. Did I mention Maria Callas? Oh yes, their stormy relationship continued even after the marriage to the First Lady.
But all came crumbling down when his son, Alexandre, had a deadly airplane crash.
10 years ago
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
10 years ago
I have just started the second Dept. Q book, by Jussi Adler-Olsen, the second book, after The Keeper of Lost Causes)A Conspiracy of Faith. So far, so good! I have also ordered the third one).
10 years ago
Just starting A Girl Named Zippy.
10 years ago
The name sounds familiar. Will go see.
10 years ago
At the moment, I'm savoring this:

I would enthusiastically recommend this book to any fumie. The writing is entertaining and informative in equal measure, while the photos and illustrations are a feast for the eyes.
10 years ago
Thanks for the recommendation, Cryptic.
I have one as well, which I just finished. Very informative.
10 years ago
Thanks, Mia! It's always wonderful to discover books about perfume. I only wish there were more of them.
10 years ago
I have just finished the third book by, Khaled Hosseini, And the Mountains Echoed. A lovely story, I enjoyed all three of his books, and recommend them.
The Kite Runner,A thousand Splendid Suns, And the Mountains Echoed.
6 years ago
The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama

A wonderful book. I really didn't want the story to end. Smile

She also wrote Women of the silk.
6 years ago
Hi, Cincy. I just downloaded the 2018 version of Perfumes The Guide by Turin and Sanchez. Smile
6 years ago
Reading now , not perfume-related at all. " The bibliothecaris von Auschwitz" by Antonio Iturbe, please remember what happened that time before you judge now ...goosebumps and also so frightened. I just can't imagine how it was during WW2 but this book needs no imagination.
6 years ago
Cryptic:
Hi, Cincy. I just downloaded the 2018 version of Perfumes The Guide by Turin and Sanchez. Smile

2018 version. Didn't know. Interesting news. Thanks
6 years ago
Cincy:
I really didn't want the story to end. Smile

I'm afraid I have not heard about the author, but her books must be really good if they can make you feel like that Smile

Reading nothing related to perfumes either, and no complete books atm, only picking up few passages from Maugham's short stories.
6 years ago
Anessa, here is more info.

The Samurai's Garden
by Gail Tsukiyama
4.12 · Rating details · 18,987 Ratings · 1,676 Reviews
A 20-year-old Chinese painter named Stephen is sent to his family's summer home in a Japanese coastal village to recover from a bout with tuberculosis. Here he is cared for by Matsu, a reticent housekeeper and a master gardener. Over the course of a remarkable year, Stephen learns Matsu's secret and gains not only physical strength, but also profound spiritual insight. Matsu is a samurai of the soul, a man devoted to doing good and finding beauty in a cruel and arbitrary world, and Stephen is a noble student, learning to appreciate Matsu's generous and nurturing way of life and to love Matsu's soul-mate, gentle Sachi, a woman afflicted with leprosy.

www.goodreads.com/book/show/51113.The_Samurai_ s_Garden
6 years ago
Thank you very much for the description and the link, Cincy! Gives me a nice idea about the atmosphere of the story. I will look at Women of the Silk as well Smile
6 years ago

Kidding! I just grabbed the Kindle version of The Incendiaries. Hope it lives up to the advance reviews.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Books: what are you reading right now?
251 - 275 by 297
Jump to