Search Forum

Quotes.....

351 - 375 by 401
10 years ago
Love Vonnegut. I went on a Vonnegut spree in my late teens. To me he is the unofficial godfather to Tom Robbins.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and so do monkeys, if they have a gun."

---Eddie Izzard

(oops, sorry, correction made. I had TR on the brain before) Embarassed
10 years ago
Years ago when I first joined Fragrantica and didn't know a soul, I figured you were cool because of the TR quote in your signature line. Smile And I think I met Dolby because she liked my Serge Gainsbourg quote.
10 years ago
Cryptic:
Years ago when I first joined Fragrantica and didn't know a soul, I figured you were cool because of the TR quote in your signature line. Smile And I think I met Dolby because she liked my Serge Gainsbourg quote.

Ahhhh, so that's what it was! Smile

"Culture is everything you don't have to do."

---Brian Eno
10 years ago
I kept coming across Robert Brault quotes on Facebook so I looked him up. Some good stuff, IMHO.

www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7192677.Robert _Brault
10 years ago
Cryptic:
I kept coming across Robert Brault quotes on Facebook so I looked him up. Some good stuff, IMHO.

www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7192677.Robert _Brault

Ooh, I like him!
Here is some Hunter S. Thompson (pretty sure it's a repeat, but who cares):

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
10 years ago
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
-H. G. Wells

One of my favourites...
10 years ago
My all time favourite quote is by Oscar Wilde from The Ballad of Reading Gaol:

Yet each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard.
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word.
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
Mae West

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
Richard Dawkins
10 years ago
Quotes from Randall Munroe:

“I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.”

“Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they are doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out. You're curious and smart and bored, and all you see is the choice between working hard and slacking off. There are so many adventures that you miss because you're waiting to think of a plan. To find them, look for tiny interesting choices. And remember that you are always making up the future as you go.”
10 years ago
"Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face."

---George Eliot
10 years ago
Cryptic:
“I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.”
Love that one.

"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume."
~ Jacques Guerlain
10 years ago
Part of Tilda Swinton's inspiration for her ELDO perfume:

"If anyone wants to know what 'spirit' is,
or what 'God’s fragrance' means,
lean your head toward him or her.
Keep your face there close.

Like this."

-- Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
10 years ago
"I’m not raising children; I’m raising the grownups they’re going to be. I have to raise them with the tools to get through a terrible life."

---Louis CK

He's elaborated on that, saying that life is full of disappointment, and if a child learns to face disappointment, be okay with it and then forge ahead, that's pretty much the best tool a parent can give a child. I agree, Louis.
10 years ago
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
~ Ann Landers
10 years ago
“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning."

---Maya Angelou
10 years ago
"Everything that's available to do isn't a good idea."

--- Louis CK
m.youtube.com/?q=louie+ck#/watch?v=xSSDeesUUsU
10 years ago
"A lot of the wrong people have confidence."

-- read on Facebook
10 years ago
Cryptic:
"A lot of the wrong people have confidence."

-- read on Facebook

Ooohhh, that's a good one. Someone I work with is one of the most uninformed people I've met and the most likely to spout uninformed opinions with SO MUCH hubris. I think the Universe put her in my path to teach me self-control and patience. If not for being in the workplace, I would've ripped her a new one a long, long time ago.
10 years ago
Oh dear. Have you tried a facial expression similar to this one? Perhaps the light will dawn.

10 years ago
Laughing I can certainly try! But while Johnny Depp can fix lots of things, I'm pretty sure this one's a lost cause. After she repeatedly complained about her allergies and sinus congestion, I told her about a natural, non-drug solution that's done wonders for me and she actually said the words "I don't like to try new things." Swear to god.
10 years ago
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
10 years ago
"Winter smoke is blue and bitter:
women comfort you in winter.

Scent of thyme is cool and tender:
girls are music to remember.

Men are made of rock and thunder:
threat of storm to labor under.

Cypress woods are demon-dark:
boys are fox-teeth in your heart."

— Tennessee Williams
9 years ago
"I stepped into the bookshop and breathed in that perfume of paper and magic that strangely no one had ever thought of bottling."

Carlos Ruiz Zafon
9 years ago
Yes Exclamation
9 years ago
“The sound of a harpsichord – two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm. ”

-- Sir Thomas Beecham
9 years ago
Do not fear the darkness, fear what the darkness may conceal. (Eldest)
351 - 375 by 401
Notify about new comments
Jump to