Search Forum

Back to Basics

Back to Basics 10 years ago
I would love members from around the world to share information on the following:

Basic, simple, often one-ingredient items found around the home that solve problems for which they were not designed.

For example:

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: mixed 1 part with 3 parts water. Soak your produce in this for 15 minutes when you bring it home, rinse and let it dry before refridgerating, and it stays edible forEVer.

COCONUT OIL: gets rid of diaper rash and ladies' under-boob rash in short order.

WHITE VINEGAR and BAKING SODA mixture: gets rid of hard water stains on sinks and tubs; removes baked-on grease from dishes, stove and oven like a pro, without toxic chemicals.

So, please share with us your own non-toxic solutions to life's little challenges. (I realize we can all google a long list of these, but I'd like to hear advice right from the horse's mouth. Smile
10 years ago
Nappy rash cream for chapped lips.

Cucumber slices for tired eyes.

Peanut butter for cleaning off chewing gum (I haven't tried this. Ice also lets you crack it off.)

Manuka honey for infected wounds. Both for eating and to apply topically.

Bicarbonate of soda for stinky things like fridges and for scouring clean pretty much anything.

Baby wipes for getting the grime off plastic dolly faces.

More later.....

Not strictly on topic but if you only want some of a banana, but not all of it, then cut through the whole thing, skin and all with a very sharp knife to divide it into as many bits as you like. The knife draws a thin film of the skins moisture over the open cut section and the ends will not go brown.
Last edited by Tinctureall on 04.07.2014, 18:54; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Peanut butter removes sticky gum labels.

I use baking soda, teaspoon or so in my dishwater, (hand washing... not diswasher) softens the water and feels great on the hands. I would think it aid in the cleaning of the dishs also.
10 years ago
The banana thing, that's great to know!

These are all good!

Baking soda really is a godsend, isn't it?
10 years ago
100g Citric acid (crystalline, for cooking)
100g salt
dissolved in 1/2 liter of water - effectively kills mold and mildew.
Replaces the expensive products and can be used on colored surfaces (usually those preparations contain bleach).
Last edited by WolfM on 05.07.2014, 09:41; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
A nasty cold -

Dissolve a cough drop RICOLA in a cup of hot tea. Inhale deeply. You may sip the tea.

Grab a handful of salad greens, chop fine, add these to a pack of RAMEN NOODLES, add chopped up chicken pieces, add basil, add soy sauce, you then have a quick remedy CHICKEN SOUP to eat as hot as possible.
10 years ago
I will try that one, WolfM. It's amazing what some harmless acidity can accomplish isn't it?

It's the acidity of the vinegar that kills the spores on fruits and veggies too. And by the way, they don't absorb the vinegar smell at all.

Changing gears a bit:

RUBBING ALCOHOL in a spray bottle: To control ants. It kills them and eliminates their trail without insecticde. I put ant baits at their point of entry and meanwhile spray the trail periodically until the bait has time to work.
10 years ago
Pipette, that sounds delicious and comforting. Mmmm, basil!
10 years ago
I use suntan oil to remove dirty chain oil from my hands after bicycle maintenance.

I use Speick's pre-shave to get rid of sticky perfume.

If you have a small leak in your radiator grill, have a cup of coffee and pour in the coffee grounds. The same works with bicycle tires.
10 years ago
Apicius:
I use suntan oil to remove dirty chain oil from my hands after bicycle maintenance.

Same here - only did I use body-milk or makeup remover. but I'll try suntan oil - - perhaps it would be even better.

They also do a great job of cleaning the leather furniture, and for car seat leather. If it is heavily soiled - drop a very small amount koreselin inside (about 10 ml per 250-300ml bottle). Cleans perfectly; it is obligatory not to rub - just be applied and gently wiped almost immediately. This works better than any product I've tried (more than 6-7 of the most acclaimed on the market)
10 years ago
Apicius, thanks for those!

We could all use some Speick from time to time, it sounds like. Smile Any idea what gives it the ability to do that? Maybe I can find a comparable domestically sold product.

WolfM, you touched on a good point: all these basic items I use work way better than any product I've tried.

Just thought of another use for baking soda:

To stop mosquito bites from itching, mix some with liquid body wash or hand soap on a wash cloth and scrub the bite for a couple minutes while alternately rinsing with very hot water. It seems to neutralize the itch for up to 24 hours. No product I've tried has ever done that!
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Apicius, thanks for those!

We could all use some Speick from time to time, it sounds like. Smile Any idea what gives it the ability to do that? Maybe I can find a comparable domestically sold product.

Well, any pre-shave is basically alcohol plus a little fragrance. I am sure other pre-shaves will do the same job but it should be advisable to choose one that does not have a too sophisticated scent of its own.
10 years ago
I get bad sunburns - a think layer of Noxzema face cream, not rubbed in. I believe the camphor helps with the pain and the menthol cools it wonderfully

I also cant cook without burning myself, The tannic acid in a moist used tea bag (black not herbal) takes the heat and sting out of burns.
10 years ago
@Apicius
Oh, I see. Okay. I haven't had much luck removing stubborn perfumes with alcohol. What seems to work best for me, yeah, you guessed it: a thin paste of baking soda and vinegar. Very Happy

I even mop the floor with baking soda and vinegar! In one spray bottle, I add a teaspoon of baking soda to a liter of warm water, and put white vinegar in another spray bottle, and douse the floor with both and then mop it up. (Can't put them in same bottle, as the soda and vinegar continue to react even when it appears they've stopped, and will make the spray bottle leak.)
10 years ago
@Madcat, I could've used the teabag advice a couple months ago after I burned my hand. Will keep that in mind, thanks!

Now, as for you, young lady, as Bas Luhrman (sp?) once wisely said, above all else, don't forget your sunscreen! Smile

I think it's Neutrogena that makes a rub-on stick, so you don't even have to get your hands messy.
10 years ago
I am using a lot of mixed vinegar / water on my hardwood floors.

New puppy. Laughing
10 years ago
New puppy joy! How wonderful, Cincy!

Yes, non-toxic is good for the four-legged, furry ones.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Back to Basics
Jump to