Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

351 - 375 by 592
10 years ago
Hayven:
I am currently annoyed by how many topics are being recycled, as it has been brought up on THIS topic time and time again. Some of my replies feel like deja vu. I'm not the most technologically savvy, but it's really quite easy to look up a topic as fast as it is to post one. But I feel that people want a topic tailored especially to their needs and wants. I am guilty of that too.

This is true. There have been so many times when I googled questions such as "what perfume smells like lemon drops" and Fragrantica threads popped up with suggestions. I can usually very easily google most of my questions and find Fragrantica suggestions. Of course, it's different when you are asking for suggestions which fit your personal tastes or ask something which has not been asked before. Then it is necessary to consult the forum. However, as I mentioned before, some of these "new" questions never even get answered. Sad
10 years ago 1
Also Fragranticas site and design stressed me out, all the neverending threads stressed me too
This site feels makes me feel calm inside and has a lot better design
10 years ago
I prefer parfumo for many reasons, but the forum is often unresponsive and dead. It sort of reminds me of a small tourist town in the off season. Kinda lonely. To check back in after several days and find my posts are still the most current? That never happens on F, where you're almost guaranteed some type of response.
10 years ago
You're not the most current now! Ha! Wink

I just feel like, perfume-wise, I'm spread kind of thin. I can't believe how many perfume groups there are on Facebook - a person could easily while away her day on those. It's a different feeling, given that FB peeps know each others' names and particulars. Then again, it seems to help people keep themselves civilized.

So, I come to Parfumo (and occasionally Fragrantica) for reviews and FB groups for chitchat.
10 years ago
Given that facebook is popular and is trying to streamline everything into one (all your favorite hobbies and products, your social interaction, etc); it's just easier to talk about perfume on there than on a separate site for some people.
10 years ago
PBullFriend:
I just feel like, perfume-wise, I'm spread kind of thin. I can't believe how many perfume groups there are on Facebook - a person could easily while away her day on those. It's a different feeling, given that FB peeps know each others' names and particulars. Then again, it seems to help people keep themselves civilized.

This. Also, over at Facebook there's the opportunity to interact with the perfumers and other fragrance industry people, which is a huge draw, at least for me. You can learn quite a bit from them.
10 years ago
Off Topic - Try PERFUME OF LIFE - they have a very nice group. No fights, no drama.

I usually make the rounds to all Forum Groups, BN, Frag, POL, Parfumo, The Perfume Magazine, Facebook. All have something to offer.

The best thing (among many other things) of Parfumo is, however, the tremendous and thorough database and the personal Profile Page. And the people, of course.

Cheers.
10 years ago
I find Facebook overwhelming. There's just too much to take in, and very high on time suckage. I prefer a forum environment, and I don't want to share my particulars, if you know what I mean. Smile Perfumewise, I think I'm done searching, just gonna enjoy what I have, so interacting with perfume professionals doesn't attract me. I guess it was fun while it lasted.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
I find Facebook overwhelming. There's just too much to take in, and very high on time suckage. I prefer a forum environment, and I don't want to share my particulars, if you know what I mean. Smile Perfumewise, I think I'm done searching, just gonna enjoy what I have, so interacting with perfume professionals doesn't attract me. I guess it was fun while it lasted.

Oh, it is definitely a lot. Also, I don't really like sharing my hobbies with the people in my life (sounds like I'm hiding a dark secret, huh?); but I've already been the butt of some jokes about my hobby, so I stopped talking about it and also stopped giving perfume away to non-perfume collectors. I do prefer forums myself.
10 years ago
Are there any decent FB pages for perfume lovers. I couldn't find any, other then the selling of it.
10 years ago
I don't have so many questions so the activity here doesn't bother me
I'm mostly here for the function to list your perfumes in a "collection" and the good reviews, and when you ask something you get serious answers - the opposite on Fragrantica
I plan on register again on Fragrantica, not for the perfume discussions, I will se if I can stir up some drama...
Twisted Evil
10 years ago
@Dulce: If you leave I will hunt you down and drag you back. All kidding aside, the forums always slow down during the summer and this is no exception. Hang in there, chica. xo

@Hayven: Agreed! Which is why I'm cryptically incognito when it comes to perfume. So many people treat the hobby like membership in a weird cult or something.

@Tnahowru: You might want to start out with Facebook Fragrance Friends. It's a huge one, so I avoid it, but it would be an excellent way to get to know some perfume people over there. The best groups are all closed or secret, but once you make some fumey friends you'll get invitations to them.

@Esoada: This is none of my business, but it seems to me that life is too short and they're not worth it.
Last edited by Cryptic on 22.07.2014, 21:10; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Thanks to a tip off from another Parfumo member, I've just joined a closed FB fragrance group that's based in my country. The best part is sharing information about local events, special deals, shopping sites and also the opportunity for members to exchange samples and such (a big deal here as we're so far away from the rest of the world).
It doesn't replace the Parfumo forum for me, rather, it's like being able to have a neighbourhood chat over the back fence as opposed to attending an international conference!
10 years ago
@Cryptic,
Me, pack up and leave? Nah, that's not my style. Wink

And I should point out that my FB feed is so packed because the few FB friends I have are sharing so much cool and interesting stuff.
10 years ago
I have been invited to a few fragrance groups on FB but I found out that it is not really my cup of tea. Messages there are often very short, and it is a chaotic flow of thoughts from one specific topic to another. No real threads, only short replies to a post. I feel reduced to a very limited form of conversation.

Without a forum structure, it is difficult to come back to a topic that had been discussed maybe a year ago and find out what has already been said about a topic. For me, the technical platform that FB provides is too limited and only second best.
10 years ago
I have also noticed that things slowed down a bit on our forum here. So, should I sit down, figure out some interesting or witty topics and post them, in order to bring more live in here?

It would be great if we had this kind of moderation but maybe I am not the right person for it. At the moment, I very much enjoy doing my background work here, which is translating the new fragrance notes for you every day, then taking part in Parfumo Research and looking after new perfume proposals. Together with Don and Mia, we make sure that no new member gets away without a personal welcome message on the wall.

I take part in the forum if there is something for me to say. The forum and its content is pretty much in the responsibility of the whole community. So, all of you, please feel free to make the best use of it!
10 years ago
Apicius:
I have been invited to a few fragrance groups on FB but I found out that it is not really my cup of tea. Messages there are often very short, and it is a chaotic flow of thoughts from one specific topic to another. No real threads, only short replies to a post. I feel reduced to a very limited form of conversation.

Without a forum structure, it is difficult to come back to a topic that had been discussed maybe a year ago and find out what has already been said about a topic. For me, the technical platform that FB provides is too limited and only second best.

Everything you've said is true, Apicius.

One of the things I love most about Parfumo which has gone unmentioned thus far is that we can have a discussion about the Facebook features we enjoy without getting a "STOP SPAM!!!" message every time we type the name of the site.

IMHO, you shouldn't feel as if you have to start topics in order to keep the membership entertained if that's not something that you would do otherwise. I can only speak for myself, but I'm simply less inclined to be online at all when the weather is nice, but I'll make an effort to be more active at Parfumo when I do happen to be around. Thanks for all you do for us. Smile
10 years ago
@Cryptic
I know, it's just that i enjoy getting reactions on controversial subjects on forum, I do it for fun!
10 years ago
Apicius:

These are my impressions exactly.
About posting ... 10 years ago
I have been babysitting so much - with a schedule of getting up at 4:30 AM and returning at 7:30 PM that I have been mostly reading and cannot dream up topics on a tired head. All of us have probably a busy life and although it is a pleasure to participate in a Forum, sometimes the demands of the real life take over. Then the members say, I shall leave ... for a while. Others don't really leave, they just check in and read, want to post something, but many things have already been said, and we know each other, and nothing much is new.

Have a nice night.
10 years ago
Thank you Cryptic!!! Very Happy
Facebook is the downfall of cilivilization...ok not really. 10 years ago
I have a Facebook, but I only use it to check up on my favorite perfumeries and online discounters. I don't have any friends on there, and I prefer it that way because I don't want to make a profile and know everybody's business. I'm an anonymous private person. I tried joining the perfume boards on Facebook and NONE of them accept my requests, presumably because I look like some sort of a spammer/troll without a proper picture and friends. It's kind of a stupid conclusion of them to jump to, but why else would they deny my requests to join their group? Kind of ridiculous that I can't join just because I don't have any friends, but whatever.
Re: Facebook is the downfall of cilivilization...ok not real 10 years ago
NaughtyKitty:
I have a Facebook, but I only use it to check up on my favorite perfumeries and online discounters. I don't have any friends on there, and I prefer it that way because I don't want to make a profile and know everybody's business. I'm an anonymous private person. I tried joining the perfume boards on Facebook and NONE of them accept my requests, presumably because I look like some sort of a spammer/troll without a proper picture and friends. It's kind of a stupid conclusion of them to jump to, but why else would they deny my requests to join their group? Kind of ridiculous that I can't join just because I don't have any friends, but whatever.

I think that some facebook groups are closed circles of friends, so they would accept new people only if invited by somebody who is already in.
Apicius:
NaughtyKitty:

I think that some facebook groups are closed circles of friends, so they would accept new people only if invited by somebody who is already in.

This is true. I joined facebook fragrance friends but was sponsored by a member of Fragrantica.
NaughtyKitty:
It's kind of a stupid conclusion of them to jump to, but why else would they deny my requests to join their group? Kind of ridiculous that I can't join just because I don't have any friends, but whatever.

Considering the nature of Facebook, the essence of Facebook, the raison d'etre of Facebook, your lack of invitations makes perfect sense. Just use an avatar and put something in your profile and timeline that expresses your personality and interests, to give people a reason to interact with you. There's no need to disclose personal data.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
351 - 375 by 592
Jump to