Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

376 - 400 by 592
Re: Facebook is the downfall of cilivilization...ok not real 10 years ago
Dulcemio:
NaughtyKitty:
It's kind of a stupid conclusion of them to jump to, but why else would they deny my requests to join their group? Kind of ridiculous that I can't join just because I don't have any friends, but whatever.

Considering the nature of Facebook, the essence of Facebook, the raison d'etre of Facebook, your lack of invitations makes perfect sense. Just use an avatar and put something in your profile and timeline that expresses your personality and interests, to give people a reason to interact with you. There's no need to disclose personal data.

Thank you, I will try it. Maybe I can try adding people from here/Fragrantica too if I can find them.
10 years ago
Heck, is this thread still going. Smile

I've got a soft spot for Fragrantica, it was my first forum. I do quite like the fact that Parfumo is cosier, and don't really follow Fragrantica anymore.

As for Facebook, well I've been in, and left, quite a few groups. There may be quite a few closed and secret groups, but it is the same names over and over. There are fewer perfume fanatics in it for the long haul than I'd imagined.

Partially I think that our perfume habit grows and changes over time, with one spending time on various forums. It is very nice to see familiar faces, with different names.
10 years ago
There are certain trolls, whose accounts have been deleted from perfume communities for bad behaviour and whose comments are now blocked by bloggers, who still pop up in FB groups trying to provoke conflict. Usually such people never want to discuss perfumes, but rather, they always return to the subject of disparaging the behaviour of perfume enthusiasts. The posts are always negative and intelligent debate impossible.
Fragrantica reviews rating system is a travesty. 10 years ago 1
The reviews system on Fragrantica is completely skewed in all the wrong directions. I spend time and effort testing fragrances, writing descriptive reviews and giving my honest opinion on my scent perception, yet I get no balloons and someone who just wrote "OMG I love this so much. I just got it 10 minutes ago" gets a whole bunch of them.....sigh.... I think I will just post all of my reviews here on Parfumo. People seem to have a greater appreciation of them on here.
Re: Fragrantica reviews rating system is a travesty. 10 years ago
NaughtyKitty:
The reviews system on Fragrantica is completely skewed in all the wrong directions. I spend time and effort testing fragrances, writing descriptive reviews and giving my honest opinion on my scent perception, yet I get no balloons and someone who just wrote "OMG I love this so much. I just got it 10 minutes ago" gets a whole bunch of them.....sigh.... I think I will just post all of my reviews here on Parfumo. People seem to have a greater appreciation of them on here.

I am not sure who is the owner of the reviews in English, the perfume host site, or the author. If you copy/paste your English reviews to here, just tweak, embellish or change the text, so that it becomes again an original of yourself as the author.

I believe that in Germany the author of the review is the sole owner and can post the material wherever she wishes. Again, not totally sure.

To be safe, I have changed my text(s) when I used copy/paste from one site to another.
10 years ago
Triffid:
There are certain trolls, whose accounts have been deleted from perfume communities for bad behaviour and whose comments are now blocked by bloggers, who still pop up in FB groups trying to provoke conflict. Usually such people never want to discuss perfumes, but rather, they always return to the subject of disparaging the behaviour of perfume enthusiasts. The posts are always negative and intelligent debate impossible.

As Ricky Gervais recently posted on FB, if you think FB is full of moronic trolls, just go spend some time on YouTube, which makes FB seem downright intellectual (or something to that effect). Very Happy
Pipette:
NaughtyKitty:

I am not sure who is the owner of the reviews in English, the perfume host site, or the author. If you copy/paste your English reviews to here, just tweak, embellish or change the text, so that it becomes again an original of yourself as the author.

I believe that in Germany the author of the review is the sole owner and can post the material wherever she wishes. Again, not totally sure.

To be safe, I have changed my text(s) when I used copy/paste from one site to another.

Quite a few people post their reviews at Parfumo and on another site as well, and some users moved in at Parfumo with their complete collection of reviews. Nobody has a problem with that here.

Personally, I sometimes post my German reviews from Parfumo.de here as an English translation. But, especially if they are older, I very often find out that my perception towards a fragrance has changed. In the end, I find myself re-writing them from scratch.

Just do as you like!
Apicius:
Pipette:
NaughtyKitty:

Quite a few people post their reviews at Parfumo and on another site as well, and some users moved in at Parfumo with their complete collection of reviews. Nobody has a problem with that here.

Personally, I sometimes post my German reviews from Parfumo.de here as an English translation. But, especially if they are older, I very often find out that my perception towards a fragrance has changed. In the end, I find myself re-writing them from scratch.

Just do as you like!

Thank you! I always edit them slightly but it's good to know that it's not necessary to rewrite the whole thing.
10 years ago
I had a look att the Fragrantica forum today
Same boring, stupid topics as usual
And the person running the site (Zoka) is a pure *beep*
Fragrantica and the Ridiculous Censorship 9 years ago 2
You guys won't believe this (some of you will because you saw it)....there was a recent thread on the Fragrantica forum and people were going crazy over the term "old lady perfume" used as a description for fragrances. They were outraged saying that it's on the same level as racism. It got completely crazy and irrational on these forums and people were going NUTS! So the topic got deleted and the term "old lady" got censored and now every time you try to write it in a forum or even a PM it gets replaced with "The Bank of England".

But here's the best part...you can still say any other derogatory words. The "f-word", "c-word", "s-word", even racist terms still remain uncensored. So, it just tells you where some people's priorities lie. Censoring the term "old lady" isn't going to help the women's civil rights, neither is ranting on the internet and trying to get things censored. These people don't know how to pick their battles.
9 years ago
Ha ha ha !! Such Forum "fun".

What's the difference, it's only life, wear what you like - "old lady" "young lass" "old gent" "young stud" -

those are only names.
9 years ago
so I can't even write for example, "sometimes I feel like an old lady", it becomes "sometimes I feel like the Bank of England"?
I have never felt that way...
9 years ago
In the same vein, if the term "old gent" were used, should it then be replaced with "off shore account"?
9 years ago
Pipette:
In the same vein, if the term "old gent" were used, should it then be replaced with "off shore account"?

Laughing
9 years ago
Maybe they could write "Old Dame" or Mature Missy", or "Vintage Lady"... LaughingVery Happy
9 years ago
and the frustrating thing is that it would be so easy to replace the old lady term with something as simple as this: the classic powdery smell of makeup.
9 years ago
Eurochic:
so I can't even write for example, "sometimes I feel like an old lady", it becomes "sometimes I feel like the Bank of England"?

LMFAO! Yes, it would replace it with the Bank of England automatically once it's posted.
9 years ago
Eurochic:

LaughingLaughingLaughing

at least they didn't replace it with #STOP SPAM#
9 years ago 1
Franfan20:
Eurochic:

LaughingLaughingLaughing

at least they didn't replace it with #STOP SPAM#

Yeah! The words "Parfumo" and "Old Lady" REALLY offend people around there, especially Parfumo since it's automatically marked as SPAM. Why does the owner of Fragrantica feel so threatened by Parfumo? Does somebody care to enlighten me? Because I've always wondered why Fragrantica's Dictatorship always censors the word with such passion.
9 years ago
NaughtyKitty:
Why does the owner of Fragrantica feel so threatened by Parfumo? Does somebody care to enlighten me? Because I've always wondered why Fragrantica's Dictatorship always censors the word with such passion.

The difference to Parfumo is that Fragrantica is run as a commercial site. Some people make their living with it. They rely on the number of users and visitors and on the clicks for their ads. That's all.
9 years ago 1
It's funny that the "old lady" outrage continues ad infinitum. I think the outrage says WAY more about people's attitude toward aging and being old than it does about anything else.

Let's face it, perfumes that earn the old lady moniker are, by and large, more refined, more complex, more interesting, more established in the marketplace, and more expensive, than their young lady counterparts.
Re: Fragrantica and the Ridiculous Censorship 9 years ago
NaughtyKitty:
So, it just tells you where some people's priorities lie. Censoring the term "old lady" isn't going to help the women's civil rights, neither is ranting on the internet and trying to get things censored. These people don't know how to pick their battles.

I cannot agree with this more. Fragrantica in a nutshell.
9 years ago
I LOVE the "Bank of England" thing. I mean, it's so silly, but it would entice me to try to compose sentences where it made sense (e.g. "You won't be able to buy this perfume unless you have as much money as the Bank of England.").

I hereby propose that, rather than "Fragrantica," we use the word "banana." "Banana" has proven a useful substitute for many words over time, and it rarely fails to make people smile. For some examples, see this NY Times article: www.nytimes.com/1993/05/09/magazine/on-languag e-what-s-so-funny-about-bananas.html
9 years ago
Oh FFS....errr....I mean banana. Laughing
I am an old lady... 9 years ago
And not ashamed. And I'm not going to "F" any more. Actually I stopped going there months ago.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
376 - 400 by 592
Jump to