Search Forum

What's going on?? Why the lifeless forum?

1 - 25 by 35
What's going on?? Why the lifeless forum? 9 years ago 1
So I've been a member here for a few days now, and I like the set up! I'm baffled, however, with the lack of participation in the forum. Fragrantica's and Basenote's forum have steady traffic, but the last post here (other than mine) was December 14! What gives???
9 years ago
Hello! And Welcome! There a plenty of subjects on the forum, and usually if you have asked a question, it gets answered. I think the reviews on here are more important than the forum...but, this is the Christmas holidays now, and people are usually busy with preparations etc., I find most of the forum subjects on Fragrantica, are usually repeated quite a lot, and people sort of get bored with the same subject matter all the time. This is only my opinion, of course, but someone else may have a better answer! Smile
9 years ago 1
Hi. You're right, I'd like to see more activity on the forum too. However there have been posts made after 14 december, just in other sub-forums like Men's Perfume, Women's perfum, Perfumes and Brands.

Fragrantica has many teenage contributors. There's plenty of conversation, but I think the reviews are not great ("the pink bottle is the cutest"). I like the content of Basenotes and the people but their website doesn't work for me.

But you're right, Parfumo International needs to grow. Most of the time I'm up for a chat about fragrance, so drop me a line if you want.
9 years ago
In the past I have been feeding forum discussions time and again, in many categories.

Right now I am fully busy with babysitting - see plenty of photos in Profile - and only when the toddler sleeps, I sneak a peek here and there and contribute.

It is a great crowd here, but ...
9 years ago
Pipette:
In the past I have been feeding forum discussions time and again, in many categories.

Right now I am fully busy with babysitting - see plenty of photos in Profile - and only when the toddler sleeps, I sneak a peek here and there and contribute.

It is a great crowd here, but ...

Yes, you do Pipette, and I thank you for doing so.
9 years ago
Thanks for the explanations. It's very true about fragrantica being repetitive! Basenotes is nice but I also feel that its design needs improvement. I'm looking forward to all this site has to offer!
9 years ago
I agree, that most of the activities are here outside of forum. E.g. leaving message on the Wall is also a good method of communication, research, souk... Blogs are also rare.
9 years ago
I also feel that this is a more genuine Forum. Somehow it is a more close knitted community somehow.... Smile
9 years ago
We don't have quantity we have good quality. Very Happy
9 years ago
Seriously, we need to step it up with the forums. I am also new here and noticed the same thing: discussions are being expanded on way too slowly. I believe that since the numbers here are lower than the other sites mentioned, that is one reason. So let's all do our part to discuss perfume more. We can come up with fun topics too, not just purely perfume dissections.
Re: What's going on?? 9 years ago
Coffee12:
So I've been a member here for a few days now, and I like the set up! I'm baffled, however, with the lack of participation in the forum. Fragrantica's and Basenote's forum have steady traffic, but the last post here (other than mine) was December 14! What gives???

I haven't said anything on the forums for a while, but I'm here all the time using the database and updating my collection. There is a lot of traffic on Fragrantica but it's mostly chatter rather than serious perfume discussion. It's quality over quantity here as Cincy said. Still, more talk would be nice!
9 years ago
This site is like a finer vintage whisky over a beer. What is on here is more concentrated and therefore stronger and long lasting. No useless chit chat or arguments over nothing. Each response is considered carefully and therefore takes longer to make. It is the better for it I think.
9 years ago
The discussions would be livelier if everyone would just read and react and "throw something in" instead of being polite and measured.

There is plenty of life on the German twin site where the crowd is larger.

One fate of all Forums is that people come and go.
9 years ago
I have to agree with Pipette. We all do seem to care more about being polite than posting. I don't know why though. Confused
9 years ago 1
I'm not certain you can have it all in one place. The forums at Basenotes and Fragrantica are always buzzing but the amenities pale in comparison to Parfumo. I've noticed that the people who come here from other sites seem to be glad to escape the trolling and other nastiness, and perhaps some of them simply want to pursue their hobby in peace by organizing their collections, writing reviews, blogging, adding to the fragrance directory and submitting photos. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, you can't force people to mingle with each other (unless you happen to have liquor Wink).
9 years ago
Cryptic:
Besides, you can't force people to mingle with each other (unless you happen to have liquor Wink).

Nice idea to send out a few bottles of liquor to make people talk a bit more Smile

What we need (and currently don't have) are a few volunteers who'd feel responsible for the forum and look after it. It simply means community building:
- leave a welcome message on the new user's pages
- start threads (one per week?)
- involve new and other users in discussions
- offer help and advice.

That we don't have such a team of moderators today does not mean we won't have it tomorrow. Parfumo is still growing by number of daily site visits. So, anybody who wants it a bit more livelier here, just go on! And please let me or Don know if you'd be interested in such a role.
9 years ago
That would be wonderful if you got a volunteer or two, Apicius. The welcome messages are a nice touch and I recall you asking us to help out with them in the past. I'll try to pitch in with that task when I can.
9 years ago
@ Apicius , @ Don

I would like it if the forum was tweaked a bit. For example:

- On Parfumo's front page the displayed forum threads could/should be displayed higher, not at the bottom. For example I would show it as 4th, after the social section, new-noteworthy, and reviews.

- It would be nice if not only new threads were listed but also very active threads. For example if a new thread has been inactive for >3 days, then display another active thread.

Just suggestions Smile
9 years ago
I say if we adopt the Fragrantica pitter-patter chit chat manner or the lively interactive pitter-patter of the German twin site and just talk ...

the Forum would have livelier conversations.

Talk, talk, talk.

Don't be afraid to be criticized.

Think of Facebook. Just throw something in, a thought, a view, preferably perfume-related.
9 years ago
I agree.

So now we're talking anyway, Pipette - You already posted your personal favourites from 2014, but I'm also curious about what you think are the best releases from 2014! (if you click on the number 2014 at a perfume page you'll see everything from 2014)
9 years ago
So I went to "Black Opium" assuming that it was issued 2014, and clicked on to 2014, and found this:

www.parfumo.com/Perfumes/Release_Year/2014

Wow. I did not know Parfumo had that feature. Now I will just peruse that list and see. Give me some time.
9 years ago
Okay. The list is 133 pages long. That just shows the multitude of perfumes issued each year.

I got as far as page 11. Among the contenders were "Black Flower Mexican Vanilla" of which I tested a sample. Deep dark vanilla, earthy. I wrote a review about it.

Then there was "Spirituelle" by Divine. Nice and crisp according to the promotional paper sample the company had mailed me.

I was underimpressed by "Hedonist Iris" by Viktoria Minya. The best sample of hers was "Hedonist Rose" - a nice oriental.

Now I had to stop doing because my little charge (my grandson -see Profile photos) was let loose alone and littered the living room floor with books, toys, doggie toys, clutter all around - it looks like a tsunami. Safety first.

I could go through the rest of the 133 pages but it is just too much. Why are we snowed under with so many releases each year? Because it is easy for the industry to do so,.

Then only the most talked about fragrances will get followers. Parfumo as a Forum and place for reviews has something to do with this. Besides they want to make an encyclopedia of all perfumes of the world. What a job, but that task is already fulfilled better than on any other Forum I know.

- Station Break -

Smile
9 years ago
Honestly, I am much more glad with the present situation, that I would be with talking more but saying less. The saddest thing is, that there are questions and threads on the forum, those have no reply from others. So there could be a box on the main page, where those forum topics could be emphasized.

Another idea is, to have votes with questions about perfume (of course I do not mean a quiz, but a poll), and under it people could discuss about the question and their opinion detailed. On other pages with other main subjects, it generated a vivid discussion.
9 years ago
I agree with Sleuth, Forum Threads sould be above New Perfume Pictures and Currently On Line and maybe New Blog Entries.
9 years ago
Tar:
Another idea is, to have votes with questions about perfume (of course I do not mean a quiz, but a poll), and under it people could discuss about the question and their opinion detailed. On other pages with other main subjects, it generated a vivid discussion.

Tar, I am not sure I understand your idea correctly. Are you aware that we do have a poll feature? Everybody who opens a new thread can add a poll with poll questions to it. Just click the poll flag!

Have you already noticed and checked it? If so, I'd be curious about the next perfume discussion with poll. Smile
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community What's going on?? Why the lifeless forum?
1 - 25 by 35
Jump to