Search Forum

Quotes.....

376 - 400 by 401
9 years ago
Dulcemio:
Cryptic:
"A lot of the wrong people have confidence."
-- read on Facebook

Ooohhh, that's a good one. Someone I work with is one of the most uninformed people I've met and the most likely to spout uninformed opinions with SO MUCH hubris. I think the Universe put her in my path to teach me self-control and patience. If not for being in the workplace, I would've ripped her a new one a long, long time ago.

Cryptic and Dulcemio, I love this from Mark Twain:
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
9 years ago
That is a great quote Greysolon
6 years ago
"There's a difference between playing and playing games.
The former is an act of joy, the latter — an act."
~ Vera Nazarian ~
6 years ago
I'd forgotten all about this quote thread, Mia. This one has been stuck in my head for days:

"...And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds
are immune to your consultations,
They're quite aware of what they're going through..."

-- David Bowie
6 years ago
“Never tie your happiness to the tail of someone else’s kite.”

I read this quote in - Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman
6 years ago
“If you work by reason you grow rough-edged; if you choose to dip your oar into sentiment’s stream, it will sweep you away. . . . However you look at it, the human world is not an easy place to live.” ― Natsume Sōseki

The above is a quote I fell in love with (or rather, could identify myself) when I learnt it for the first time as a girl, although I must admit I haven't still come to read the complete book since then, "Kusamakura (Grass Pillow)".
However, I must note that in the original, the first part says, "If you act according to reason, you will make yourself unpopular (get at 'rough edges with other people')", and although I quoted the official English translation, I rather believe the author meant it as it is usually understood in Japanese.

"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." ― Mark Twain

Already quoted in this thread, another brilliant mind I've always loved.
Last edited by Anessa on 04.03.2018, 12:10; edited 6 times in total
6 years ago
"C'est la certitude qu'ils tiennent la vérité qui rend les hommes cruels."
~ Anatole France ~

"A prig is a fellow who is always making you a present of his opinions."
~ George Eliot ~
6 years ago
“Sometimes it's not what we hold on to that shapes our lives--it's what we're willing to let go of.”
― Beth Hoffman, Looking for Me
6 years ago
Good one, Cincy!
6 years ago
So true Mia, however it isn't always easy to do.
6 years ago
Ah, how true indeed. Also, what we never received when we wished for it.
It can be such a liberating feeling to detach oneself from things, but as you said, Cincy, not always easy to do...
And in many cases, I think people cling and will not let go of things to fill in their lives they couldn't otherwise 'plenish' by themselves, and that leads to your other good quote with tying one's happiness to someone else's kite.
6 years ago
“Never tie your happiness to the tail of someone else’s kite.”
Anessa, oh how that takes me back years to my old boyfriend. Bad breakup, so hurtful at the time.
6 years ago
For that quote, I also thought about those who (without really being emotionally invested) just feel too comfortable to make efforts themselves to be happy or make someone else happy and demand being satisfied.
I am sorry dear Cincy, about your hurtful experience. And this would have nothing to do with getting 'comfortable' as in my alternate interpretation of the above quote. I am sure it always is devastating if one had really emotionally become involved and invested and attached, the more for a very feeling person.
Some people say, "experience makes you stronger" or something like, but I believe there are experiences one doesn't need.
6 years ago
Cincy:
So true Mia, however it isn't always easy to do.

No, Cincy, it isn't.

"By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
~ Confucius ~
6 years ago
"People who boast about their IQ are losers."

-- Stephen Hawking
6 years ago
Ah, there are a few similar sayings in my language, Cryptic, one is:
"A skilled falcon hides his talons"
"The weaker the dog, the more/louder it barks"

And the one that is very popular and is often quoted especially regarding business (companies etc.):
"The riper the rice corn gets, the deeper it bows (its head)" - a reminder that any "positions/fame/titles" et al. someone might have achieved, that it was not without the support and help of other people, and therefore, one should not forget humbleness.
It also is often used in the meaning that people with great ('ripe') personality, no matter their status, will never boast, always be polite and treat people equally, regardless of the other one's social position etc.

Mia, your quote about wisdom is very right, but made me realise that 'wisdom' is a value-neutral word and can go either way, depending on one's character...
6 years ago
Cryptic, that one is so true! Very Happy I do like Hawkin's sense of humour.

Anessa:
.. 'wisdom' is a value-neutral word and can go either way, depending on one's character...

How so?
And whilst we are at it, here is another one (though I usually prefer Aristotle over Plato).

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
~ Plato ~
6 years ago
Regarding 'wisdom' gained from experience, Mia, I thought of the fact that it depends on the very person what they will learn (if ever) from an incident, since they choose what to conclude for themselves, based on their character.
I have heard the expression 'true wisdom', but not so much about 'false wisdom'. I wondered if 'wisdom' is considered a double-edged matter that can turn either way, like 'power' being abused. Perhaps it is called 'knowledge' in this case.

About Plato, I think we can see he didn't like women; otherwise, those who love idle chit-chat would be condemned if it were for him LaughingWink

"The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things; the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline. The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night; the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind."
-- The Tale of the Heike (13th century), trans. by H.C. McCullough
6 years ago
Very Happy hahaha!! Yep, god ol' chauvinist P. He'd probably cringe if he knew he's being declared as perfectly suited to contribute to idle chit-chat. Twisted Evil

Very poetic, The Tale of the Heike. Smile
6 years ago
“Stupidity in a woman is unfeminine.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

Any thoughts on this one.
6 years ago
I didn't know Nietzsche was a concealed feminist, Cincy, I interpret it as a high opinion about women LaughingWink

Yes Mia, about the opening of the Tale of Heike, I love the atmosphere instantly conjured with the few (admittedly very famous) lines, without ever having been there, and the melancholic yet calm tone about impermanence.

Something spring related... "Spring nights get late while my thoughts are dwelling on the cherry blossoms"
(a very rough translation of a haiku by Bashō)
6 years ago
Anessa:
I didn't know Nietzsche was a concealed feminist, Cincy, I interpret it as a high opinion about women LaughingWink

For sure Exclamation

Another one of wish a totally agree with.

"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages."
Friedrich Nietzsche
6 years ago
“Love can never possess. Love is giving freedom to the other. Love is an unconditional gift, it is not a bargain.”
--Osho
6 years ago
"A love-transaction: the one who loves and the other who condescends to be so treated."
omg, so many victims
6 years ago
"What is auto-tune? I don't even know what auto-tune is."

-- Aretha Franklin
Notify about new comments
376 - 400 by 401
Jump to