Search Forum

Rive Gauche pour Homme 2003 vs 2011

Rive Gauche pour Homme 2003 vs 2011 10 years ago
Hoping you chaps can offer some wisdom.
Has anyone had the chance to compare "Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette)" with the reformulated version, "Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011)"?
Is there much difference in the scent, strength or longevity?
I've sampled what I believe to be the older version and want to purchase for both myself and a male relative who also likes it. The cans still seem to be available online but I'm seeing the words 'out of stock' more frequently.
Threads on forums at other sites have not been helpful, with responders invariably beginning with "well, I've not tried the new one, but..." (I mean, why bother to answer in that case).
Any enlightenment appreciated.
10 years ago
The only comparison I can find is this YouTube review. Do you want to hear a "but"?Wink Well firstly the "La Collection" is the reason why I dislike YSL. I only tried RG La collection, and I think that for a fougère, is rather woolly/cosy/creamy, didn't like it.
10 years ago
Thanks Sleuth. I'm getting an error message after the advertisement and the clip would't play, but I'll try again later. Whilst there are still the cans around, I think I'll just grab one of those. I'm pretty sure the formula would not have improved with reformulation (do they ever?) but it's annoying to not know which version I had when I bought the sample from STC - I would assume that if it was the newer one they would identify it as the La collection version. Appreciate your response.
8 years ago
Hello, take a look at this:

YVES SAINT LAURENT "La Collection": a side-by-side comparison.

raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.pt/2015/09/yves -saint-laurent-la-collection-side.html

"RIVE GAUCHE

The third test was "Rive Gauche pour Homme". Launched in 2003, it was the smart, the last, and the (finally) successful move by Tom Ford after the commercial disaster of both NU (2001) and M7 (2002). Not very original as a scent, since the "star anise" theme was already exploited earlier, but it was a very well blended and pleasantly crafted scent...and one of the most original bottles ever produced, a tin can, much appreciated by perfume lovers, who elected it as a collector item. It was produced since 2003 until 2010 without -apparently- any reformulation.
I tested Rive Gauche thoroughly and carefully in two version only: the "tin can" and the new "La Collection" cubic bottle.
Are there identical? Well, surprisingly, the answer is no. They are very similar, but no identical.
The "La Collection" version is slightly (I told slightly) sweeter, but you can appreciate the difference only on side-by-side comparison. If you have nothing to compare with, you could hardly tell a difference. That's all.
Both version have a monster sillage and longevity, and there is no trace of watering-down. Both are strong, deep, and intense.
I am really pleased with new "La Collection" Rive Gauche and wholeheartedly recommend it as a scent.
Are the old tin can bottles worth buying? Yes, but only for collection purpose. Perfume smell nearly the same. "
8 years ago
Thanks for that information, Guapo.
I have a couple of the cans now, and at 125ml they should last me a while, but it's good to know there's no appreciable difference with the newer version. I may even lift the user ban on Mr Triffid, whose style is to borrow my perfumes and spray lavishly and often when he finds something to his liking.
8 years ago
the difference is the price, same dog with different leash ..... pity they went that route, I adore Rive Gauche I need to stock up cans...
7 years ago
I think it's a big mistake to take the word of any one person that a possible reformulation (as when bottle designs change or a company is sold off) is nearly identical to the original. Andre's opinion about Dior Homme is way off, IMO, for example. If I don't wear certain types of scents often, I know that I don't have the same understanding of those as I do ones that I do, and anyone who claims to be able to detect minute differences in any and every type of scent raises red flags to me. I think Andre is sincere and believes his assessment is accurate, but the only way you will know if his opinion works for you is if you sample for yourself.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Rive Gauche pour Homme 2003 vs 2011
Jump to