Search Forum

Lucky Scent devotees: may I ask you?

Lucky Scent devotees: may I ask you? 8 years ago
I plan to be in LA in the Spring and will visit the Scent Bar.

Based on the fact a couple of my staples are "Volutes (Eau de Toilette)" and "Ambre Precieux", what would you suggest I sample at the Bar?
8 years ago
Hi, Dulcemio. I just got a decant of Volutes in today. It reminds me of some of the Serge Lutens fragrances. He does a wonderful job with his honey-beeswax centered accords. You might try these:

Mel de bois
Nuit de cellophane (which smells a bit like Volutes)
Fumerie turque
Féminité du bois
Chergui
Bois oriental

You might also like Gris Clair for the lavender.
8 years ago
The Scent Bar is a palace of delight, Dulce. If you haven't been there, you have a real treat in store. The selection is beautifully edited and curated by people who know and love perfume. Unless they've changed things around, the perfumes aren't grouped according to house at all. They're in categories such as Incense, Gourmand, etc. I wouldn't worry about what to test if I were you. If you give them an idea of your preferences they'll pull out something completely splendiferous for you to try. Have a ball, and be sure to tell us what you scored.
8 years ago
Yes, that goes without saying, Cryptic. Luckyscent is probably my prime supplier and the people there are wonderful. I often order decants based on their suggestions. Volutes does remind me of a few by Serge Lutens I recently tested, though, and since Dulcemio asked for suggestions . . .
8 years ago
ScentFan:
Yes, that goes without saying, Cryptic. Luckyscent is probably my prime supplier and the people there are wonderful. I often order decants based on their suggestions. Volutes does remind me of a few by Serge Lutens I recently tested, though, and since Dulcemio asked for suggestions . . .

Good grief. My response was addressed to a friend of mine who perhaps hasn't visited Scent Bar before and may not be familiar with the information I shared. No implicit criticism of your post was intended and I'm sorry that you appear to have taken it that way.
8 years ago
Scent Fan,
Thank you for those great suggestions. I know you're on the right track, because I am familiar with all but two of those, and own a bottle of Chergui. Haha! Smile

Cryptic,
Your wonderful description has increased my anticipation tenfold. It sounds like a perfume addict's dream! Woot woot!
8 years ago
I'm sorry you took my reply to your reply to my suggestion ... what say we just shake hands? I don't know you well enough to call you a friend, but I do like your posts, Cryptic.

Cryptic:
ScentFan:

Good grief. My response was addressed to a friend of mine who perhaps hasn't visited Scent Bar before and may not be familiar with the information I shared. No implicit criticism of your post was intended and I'm sorry that you appear to have taken it that way.
8 years ago
I sure envy you that trip, Dulcemio. They'd probably have to carry me and my nose out in a stretcher! Enjoy.

Dulcemio:
Scent Fan,
Thank you for those great suggestions. I know you're on the right track, because I am familiar with all but two of those, and own a bottle of Chergui. Haha! Smile
8 years ago
My bad, ScentFan. I thought you were offended and couldn't understand why. *hugs*

Ditto on the Scent Bar Pilgrimage envy.
8 years ago
Nuance can be so lost on the Internet, Cryptic. Nobody's fault. *hugs* back.
8 years ago
I am so jealous of anyone who gets to go there! Nice to hear some description of what it's like.

And I'm so glad people here can talk things through like adults. I've had an unnecessarily rough afternoon - a FB friend I like very much is being rude because we disagree on who should be the Democratic nominee for President. He has said multiple negative things about my candidate (Sanders), which I have ignored. I said something negative about his, and he was posting multiple things on my page and getting very angry. I take politics very seriously, but if we can't strive to be civil, we're all going to be miserable.
8 years ago
PBullFriend! 'Supp?

I'm almost jealous of myself, can't wait!

As for politics, isn't it funny how personally we take something that is so impersonal? Very Happy

I am genetically liberal, working in a bastion of diehard consevativism with a tv in the lobby, perpetually tuned to news - alternately Fox and CNN - which inevitably sparks comment as we walk through. I say passive-aggressive stuff like, "Poor Trump, the GOP really hates his guts." Smile
8 years ago
I feel for you, PBullFriend. Political differences shouldn't be an excuse to throw civility out the window.

Dulce, I'm hoping for a brokered GOP convention. I think Mr. Romney may have plans to ride down the aisle on a white horse, and if he does, the Trump tantrum should be something to behold.
Last edited by Cryptic on 13.03.2016, 12:44; edited 1 time in total
8 years ago
In simple self-defense I decided to only half-tune in to this campaign season. One reason is I learned stress is the biggest compromiser of the immune system and a weakened immune system is the first step to so many diseases, it's mind-boggling. Not letting world events stress me for days on end anymore. No chance of missing much anyway, since news is repeated over and over. It also helps to know from reading biography lately that outrageous things were said and done in most campaigns and the country survived. We'll probably make it this time, too (here's hoping!).
8 years ago
Sadly, I am genetically incapable of not paying attention to the news. Well, maybe unless I was exiled to a place that had no television or internet or cell phone. I should try that if I ever get the money to make it happen! Even for a week would be good. Very Happy
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Lucky Scent devotees: may I ask you?
Jump to