Search Forum

12 samples, what would you do?

12 samples, what would you do? 11 years ago
I know, I know, this is a fun problem to have.

Here's the scenario: You ordered 12 samples that all arrive on the same day.

Do you:
A) sample one per day for the next 12 days
B) sample a few per day
C) sample one now and then, depending on your mood
D) sample all 12 in one day

And what do you think your answer says about your personality?

(I am at home sick today, so please indulge me this topic born of too much time on my hands.)Smile[/i]
11 years ago
I know some like to sample more than one perfume at a time. I never do, unless I happen to be comparing two different fragrances.

Personally, I would begin with the one I was most excited about as a way to cheer myself if I was feeling ill. I would wear that perfume until it wore off or I showered/bathed it away, and then move on to the next. However, if the first one turned out to be exceptional, I would probably keep reapplying just to coax all the nuances out. What did you get, by the way?
11 years ago
Great question! To reduce postage, I tend to order a lot of samples at once, so this is a question dear to my heart!

I don't like to test more than two scents at a time, and I find it quite confusing to spray them on at the same time if I'm not specifically trying to compare. So, spray on left wrist, wait an hour or so, then spray a different one on right wrist. If either is a very fast fade, I might do the same again a few hours later.

Whether I would plow through the whole bunch on successive days depends on how well I think the samples will suit the weather. If something is soft & citrusy and it's blustery & nasty here, the sample is going to wait, possibly for months, until the right weather comes along.

Hope you feel better soon!
11 years ago
Ah, you ladies take the sensible approach! In the past I've not been able to wait and tried 6 in one day, the weather be damned! Laughing Recently got 6 or 7 at once and managed to spread them out over 3 or 4 days, supressing my inner compulsive child. Smile But that was hard!
11 years ago
I would sample a few a day, maybe three at most. More than that and I have a hard time remembering which one is which (especially if the fragrances are from the same olfactory family). But then at the same time, I have forgotten about a few samples along the way and still to this day have yet to try them.
11 years ago
I like to test samples two at a time. Bedtime is best for me as I have the least amount of distractions. Spread them out over at least a week, you will appreciate them more. Trying on too many at one time leaves them forgettable because none really stand out. Have Fun!
11 years ago
A). I'd put one on before I went to work and then spend the day evaluating over 8 hours as I'm programming and creating courses and stuff. This works pretty well. I get a good idea of the the whole fragrance, duration, sillage, etc.
11 years ago
So . . . I'm the only one who uses the Three On Each Arm method??? Laughing

You're all suppressing your inner compulsive child!! Laughing

Nah, I know you're right. This next time, I will be more adult about it and stretch those babies out for weeks! Laughing
11 years ago
I'm a purist when it comes to testing: one scent three days in a row, period.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
So . . . I'm the only one who uses the Three On Each Arm method??? Laughing

You're all suppressing your inner compulsive child!! Laughing

Nah, I know you're right. This next time, I will be more adult about it and stretch those babies out for weeks! Laughing

It would be too confusing to me to wear more than one at a time. I already have ADHD issues--no need to compound them! Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
LiliumLibido:

I am not quite so pure as you, but I do greatly prefer to wear one perfume at a time--and enough to be wearing it. I cannot stand tiny samples. In fact, I do not buy samples with less than 1 ml and I prefer larger samples: 1.5 or 2 ml samples generally suit me best. When I get larger decants or roller balls or minis, then it takes me forever to write reviews because I feel that I should experience the perfume as much as I can before taking a stand. That is ironically why so many perfumes in my collection have not yet been reviewed by me! Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
LiliumLibido:

I'm a little too immature Perfumista- wise to have this kind of discipline. One of these days when I am a lot more seasoned, I shall test with more accuracy. That day is not today. I am still a crazy, gotta try everything at once, perfume junkie. For now, I'll leave the rituals to the professionals while I douse myself from head to toe in everything in sight!
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I am still a crazy, gotta try everything at once, perfume junkie. For now, I'll leave the rituals to the professionals while I douse myself from head to toe in everything in sight!

CARPE DIEM!
CARPE PROFUMUM!
Smile
11 years ago
D) I try them all at ~ on arms & legs! I just cant help it, im way too curious & impatient. I just tried all my 5 samples today (Monegal). But.... I then test them idividualy or 2 at a time, on following days to really test it out properly.
11 years ago
Sherapop:
LiliumLibido:

I am not quite so pure as you, but I do greatly prefer to wear one perfume at a time--and enough to be wearing it. I cannot stand tiny samples. In fact, I do not buy samples with less than 1 ml and I prefer larger samples: 1.5 or 2 ml samples generally suit me best. When I get larger decants or roller balls or minis, then it takes me forever to write reviews because I feel that I should experience the perfume as much as I can before taking a stand. That is ironically why so many perfumes in my collection have not yet been reviewed by me! Rolling Eyes

Since coming here, I'm much more careful with reviews. Over at Fragrantica, I would just fire them off because the standards there are, um...different, lol. I fondly remember your Mariah Carey haikus, Sherapop.
11 years ago
Ahhh, so I'm not the only impatient one here!!

It is nice, though, to have something new to look forward to on several different days, rather than blowing through them all at once . . . I swear, that's my goal when the next envelope full of vials arrives! Wink
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Ahhh, so I'm not the only impatient one here!!

It is nice, though, to have something new to look forward to on several different days, rather than blowing through them all at once . . . I swear, that's my goal when the next envelope full of vials arrives! Wink

For me, it's like the olfactory Tower of Babel if I have a bunch of scents on me at once, but if you like to test that way, go for it! We all enjoy perfume differently.
11 years ago
Well, it's not that I really enjoy testing three at once, it's more that I'm so damned impatient! Laughing I will test one on each wrist, then go wash them off, and test two more!! But I don't think it's ideal.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
I fondly remember your Mariah Carey haikus, Sherapop.

Sometimes seventeen syllables is all that it takes! Twisted Evil
11 years ago
Ok, straight out, I'd opt for A ... In reality however it would be C because I simply don't wear perfume everyday (yes I know I know), with perhaps a little bit of B thrown in if I wrere to feel wild on a certain day.

When it comes to selection, it would have to be a lucky dip.
11 years ago
Sherapop:
Cryptic:
I fondly remember your Mariah Carey haikus, Sherapop.

Sometimes seventeen syllables is all that it takes! Twisted Evil

It's a shame those haikus got thumbed down the tubes by the fangirls, because they were clever and witty and managed to capture the essence of the fragrance in a mere 17 syllables.
11 years ago
I'll Try all 12 at once Because i have a short Patient Span Surprised
11 years ago
LOL @ Lola. Curiosity can make me sniff at all samples but I know better than to apply them all on the same day, so option A is the wisest choice.

However, in the last 3 months I've acquired well over 100 different samples ( and a few bottles) so got into a panic mode on how to get through them all. TWO a day, one in the morning and afternoon and the 2nd one in the evening , depending on longevity of the first fragrance , so option B is it (more than 1).
Testing only one every 3 days requires the restraint of a saint! Which makes me LOL again as I had never considered Lilium as being a saint RazzWink
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands 12 samples, what would you do?
Jump to