Search Forum

Which languages do you speak?

1 - 25 by 70
Which languages do you speak? 12 years ago
I am curious to learn what other language(s), besides English, you master (more or less).

Of course, your chosen flag of the country indicates that you very likely happen to also speak that country's vernacular language. But it may not be the only language at your command.
I suppose as our community grows, people from all over the world will join us. And even though English is lingua franca at parfumo.com, I imagine it would be nice to know if any other members share a particular language. It may, at times, even be helpful to know.
12 years ago
I can speak a small amount of French still - it's enough to communicate Wink

I also understand some Spanish and Italian although I never learned anything at school.
12 years ago
Only a bit of Italian as my linguistics are limited to English.
12 years ago
I can read French okay but haven't used it actively since school really, so I don't speak or write it. I can read some Spanish as well. And English and German, obviously.
To all Iranians 12 years ago
The languages I know were already almost all mentioned. The thing is, no matter how well you speak a foreign language, commenting on a perfume needs a special terminology. I hope to improve on my English and to learn from all the native speakers more about this terminology.

But since I fortunately know Farsi, I really like to invite users from Iran. Please feel free to contact me at any time- I would love to exchange samples with you meaning to send you samples from scents that are hard to get in your home country. I would be very honored to do that and I am really curious to know how you perceive fragrances, weather our tastes differ a lot due to cultural preferences and so on. Of course wealthy Iranians have the possibility to fly over to Dubai as they often do and to purchase or sample everything imaginable, but I also know how difficult it might be for the average person - that is unaffordable. Perfumery is an art that I really would like to share with you, so don't hesitate to contact me Smile
12 years ago
My French skills have diminished after years of non-practicing but I can still communicate enough during a vacation Smile

As for Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Greek, Dutch and Russian : here goes the scope from "rudimentary skills" to "hardly knows the alphabet" Smile
Would like to keep up with Dutch as I was forced to stop with my lessons (they did not have enough students to establish a follow-up semester) :-/

Have a video course of Russian and Mandarin at home....maybe I will challenge myself with these this year. Ni-hao and strasdwujdje Smile

I love languages but hardly find the discipline and time to continuously study them with care and devotion....well, maybe also bits might come in handy one day Smile

My mother tongue is German, btw.
12 years ago
I tried to learn Polish just for fun, we had a language exchange in university. But I gave up after two terms, a) because the teacher of the second course was rotten and b) because Polish is so complicated - I was still in 1st person singular present tense after a whole year and even that was rather flaky. And I always thought I was good with languages... Rolling Eyes
12 years ago
Dutch, English and German I can speak fluently.
I have much trouble writing in German though Wink

French.. hmmm... I can get by on a holiday but I can not take part in a deep philosophical discussion Cool

Italian I can understand a tiny bit as I sing opera for a hobby.

Other languages are mostly abracadabra to me *gheghe*
12 years ago
Swedish, English and Finnish fluently.
I took German in school for maybe 4 years but I wasn't exactly an A student Twisted Evil I can survive but that's about it.
12 years ago
I can speak German, English and Polish fluently.

My French sucks - even though I had really great grades at school... Laughing
12 years ago
English, erm, that's it. I don't know what the situation is like now in schools but I was inflicted on the French language for three years, it wasn't good to listen too. Shocked
12 years ago
Mill4r4:
English, erm, that's it. I don't know what the situation is like now in schools but I was inflicted on the French language for three years, it wasn't good to listen too. Shocked

That's basically me, although I took French for 1 extra year. Didn't help much :/
12 years ago
I'm a native English speaker & not fluent in anything else. I can speak/read/write haltingly in French, more haltingly in Spanish, and I can probably only speak Russian with someone who is accustomed to dealing with infants. (Not especially bright infants, actually.) Was fluent in Dutch as a child (lived in the Netherlands) and am sorry I let that go. Can understand a bit of German, primarily dealing with issues of food and illness, as those were my grandparents' most frequent topics... Wink

Wish I had put some serious effort into real fluency at one of these languages - might still do so.
12 years ago
I grew up with Finnish, Swiss-German and Rhaeto-Romanic. Well, you don't reach a big amount of people with these languages Wink. Later, I had to learn German, French and English at school. I really like learning languages so I took lessons by choice in Italian, Swedish and Spanish. Well... and Latin Laughing. Definitely, my skills in some languages are much better than in others. But hey, you have to practise for getting better Wink.
12 years ago
I'm pretty much confined to English. I used to be fluent in Spanish, but that was many years ago. Now, I can just read it. I can also read Portuguese OK, and I struggle with French and Italian. I can read varying amounts of chemistry in lots of languages, but it doesn't really do me any good in real life. My wife is Japanese, however, and that comes in really handy sometimes.

Seems like a very linguistically diverse bunch here! Smile.
12 years ago

German (native)

English

French

Spanish

At the moment, Spanish is my most spoken foreign language due to some Latin-American friends.

Last edited by DieNase on 21.11.2022, 22:26; edited 1 time in total
12 years ago
I speak and write fluently German (and Swiss-German as my mother tongue, I'm Swiss Wink ), French and almost fluently Italian.

I try to improve my knowledge of English, spoken and written. I read quite a lot of books in English (also because the German translations need too much time) and I speak (or try to Wink ) English during my holidays in the USA. The Americans are nice and patient people, so I'm not too ashamed to try out my speaking skills Wink .
12 years ago
I can read and write in English, Arabic and Urdu.
I can understand Hindi (main language in India) but cannot read/write.

Used to be able to understand Spanish but not so much anymore.
Learning Italian on the side.

I'm an Arab from Abu Dhabi.
12 years ago
i am fluent in english, turkish, greek
i can read and comprehend french good, not good in speaking
i can read arabic properly
i can read and comprehend italian and spanish to some level
also i am able to understand azeri, turkmen, uzbek turkish'
12 years ago
I speak German and some English. I am lucky to have colleagues at work who I have to talk to in English, so I have some practise.

I only speak a little bit of French, just enough to buy a perfume or order my menue at the restaurant. But - aren't these the most important things to do in France?
12 years ago
I am fluent in English and Japanese.
12 years ago
I'm fluent in Swedish and English, I understand Norwegian and danish good in speaking and reading but don't speak it myself (as a lot of other Scandinavians). I understand basic German and speak/write very basic German. I can understand some French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Finish words/phrases.
12 years ago
English and French fluently.

I'm starting German lessons in Feb. so be easy with me hhahaha.
12 years ago
German obviously and French fluently. Wink
Some Russian and I'm trying to learn Arabic; it's not that easy though...
1 - 25 by 70
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Which languages do you speak?
Jump to