Search Forum

Which languages do you speak?

51 - 70 by 70
6 years ago
Anessa:
For the grammar of a language, systematical thinking might connect to music (theory-wise) and maths, too?

I like that thought, Anessa! And I agree, except logic always applies to maths whereas with grammar ... Confused Nevermind, your point is systematic thinking and with that I concur. Smile
5 years ago
Bit of a loner here. In addition to my native tongue, English, I speak Bahasa Indonesia, used to speak passable Balinese and could hold a conversation in Sasak.

I learned German in high school for a year and then did 2 semesters at uni. It got me through Eastern Russia, where no one spoke English.

I still remember the Cyrillic alphabet and a few Russian words I learned 25 years ago.

My French never progressed beyond words for things in the classroom and basic directions. Latin bored me endlessly.

Picked up a few Mandarin words and phrases whilst teaching.

Always wanted to learn Italian - simply to score myself a handsome Italian man who can cook.
3 years ago

Ik spreek vlot Nederlands.

Je parle bien français.

I can speak fluently English.

Ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch.

(Phom) poet Thai nit-noi.

hablar 3 years ago

I´m from Barcelona, Spain, so i talk español y catalán, english with my problems to writing, cause i learn from my irish-ex boyfriend. no school. German cause i live in germany 19 years now. French i learn in school but i dont use for longe time.

3 years ago

Actually I am an english speaker, but my mother is an Asian and my father is American,

I want to learn Arabic, Urdu, and Persian because I like that accents, and some of my friend also speak that languages, I know all those are different accents but I like it when they speak on their language.

3 years ago

Just English 🙂

3 years ago

English, Arabic and French; these are a given when you're Lebanese. I took intro level Russian and German courses in college, it's been a while!

3 years ago

I do speak Dutch, Ukrainian & Russian.

Trying  to speak English & German (with a lot of mistakes);  kan understand Polish & other Slavic  languages.

Have ever tried to learn French and Spanish but without success 😊.

2 years ago

I'm fluent in English and German.

As well in Bosnian, Serbian, a bit of Slovenian as well. Very Happy

2 years ago

Quite new here, speak fluent danish and english, german to some extent and swedish. 

2 years ago

I speak Dutch and French. I work in Brussels with French speaking colleagues and my father speaks French. That is his language actually. So my French is very good, but is not perfect. My English is as good as my Dutch, I studied to be a translator, but I never went into the translating business.

I have studied Russian as well, but it has been over more than 30 years since I have actually spoken Russian on a daily basis, so my Russian is somewhat off, I am afraid.

In high school I had German classes, but I am not good at German at all. And I know 3 words in Japanese, haha. And I know how to ask "where can I find a bathroom" in Spanish. 😂

2 years ago

In secondary school I learnt French and German, later learning Spanish.

Other languages I have been teaching myself to write/speak in Russian, Japanese.

These ones that are on the back-burner Polish, Irish, Welsh, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish and Greek. I do linguistics as a side hobby because I love learning new languages.

9 months ago 1

Yaaayyyy an old topic but gotta bump this up because I'm a linguistics professional and I love languages! 😍 My first language is Finnish and my former occupation is a teacher in Finnish language. Other languages that I speak are Swedish, Danish, English, French and Hungarian. Also a few words Dari/Persian which I never studied though, it's just my husband's mother tongue. Now when I registered to Parfumo, I regret so much that I never studied German. 😂 Though I have noticed that I can understand some of it as it seems to be quite close to Danish. 😁

9 months ago 1

I speak, read, and write in French (I’m a PhD candidate and graduate teaching assistant in the Department of French & Italian at a University of California). I can read a little Spanish and Italian, when push comes to shove. And I know a few words in my mom’s native language, Tagalog, and can say one swear phrase in visayan (a Filipino dialect). 

9 months ago
VieilleDame1

I speak, read, and write in French (I’m a PhD candidate and graduate teaching assistant in the Department of French & Italian at a University of California).

Hey yay wonderful, so nice to see other professional linguist perfumistas here!! 👋🥳💕

8 months ago

English, Italian and a little German.

8 months ago

Mother tongue Swedish, mother tongue standard English (which helps as I work with translating legal documents), read and understand most Danish and Norwegian, studied French, Spanish and Latin but alas nowhere near fluency in any of them, nor in Italian, but I'd love to be, as well as in other languages. 

8 months ago

English, Spanish and a smattering of Hebrew. 

8 months ago

Unfortunately the languages I learned were not learned to the fullest meaning I can speak and understand but I can’t write or read them except for some of the words  

I learned some Spanish as when my sister and I were kids my parents took us on holidays to mostly Spanish speaking countries from the age of 8 so began to learn very young and quickly. 

We also went to Turkey one year and I ended up befriending all the staff in the hotel who would take me places to see and meet their family etc so they began teaching me Turkish. 

And at school I asked if I could learn one of those 2 languages instead of French which I had no interest at the time of learning because I was so in to the other 2 languages I had already began to learn. They said if they got enough requests to learn either of those languages they would do it. I didn’t think I would find many people looking to learn Turkish but I thought surely with Scotland being a country that has a lot of people who visit Spanish countries that surely i would get to do that but nope. 

In my lack of interest in French I didn’t really learn it even though I had to take that class. 

When I got older I found myself interested in dating girls from other countries and dated a Polish girl and made friends with a lot of Polish people who taught me a lot of their language including tongue twisters, yes I can do Polish tongue twisters 😂

I also ended up meeting a girl who I was engaged to who was from Portugal where my Spanish helped a lot because they share many words but there are some differences. The way I look at it is like Scotland can understand English but we have a lot of our own words that although people in England don’t speak them they understand for the most part what we are saying. 

So my best languages are Spanish and Portuguese. I am not good at writing it because I often try to spell it how it sounds in English to find they are written differently. 

What was very helpful was that my Portuguese fiancé had a 2 year old son who she was teaching English and Portuguese so as he was picking them up so was I. 

I would like to do a full course one day in either Spanish or Portuguese to speak and write fluently. 

5 months ago

Spanish (native), English (supposedly mastery level lol), A2 Bulgarian Smile

51 - 70 by 70
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Which languages do you speak?
Jump to