Search Forum

Writer's Block

Writer's Block 12 years ago
Well I'm having a stange and sad case of writer's block
It's been plaging me now for months I have'nt written new
Reviews for a long while it's like all of the Inspration
has been been sucked out and Drained out of me last year
I whrote Reviews like Crazy now my Mind is dry

Do you ever feel like you have Writer's Block?
Tell me your Advice and Stories Thanks.
12 years ago
I don't have a writers block, but I write less. Some time ago I'd write app. 1 review per day, now it is rather 1 or 2 per week.
After 900+ reviews it is simply not so easy to be impressed by a new perfume. I am not that curious any longer.

If you are not a little bit impressed, you might not have good ideas for your review. Within the past 3 or 4 years, I have found so many great fragrances that I love wear - and often, I prefer enjoying those perfumes rather then sampling something presumably average.

Nevertheless, once in a while, I find something that's worth commenting on. If that happens, I still like to sit down, and then the ideas come easily.
12 years ago
Hey, Lola: I think Apicius has a good point here. And I know that so many people go through phases where they even lose interest in perfume. (I've been through a couple of phases like that for a week or two, but some people lose interest for months.)

I bet something good will come along & you will find yourself wanting to say something about it! Very Happy
12 years ago
Thanx Pittbull and Apicus
11 years ago
It happens to a lot of us, Lola. I couldn't smell properly for a good month due to allergies and I wrote nothing.
11 years ago
Yes, writer's block does happen. Sometimes it's easy to overcome by writing about a fragrance that you really love. You could also try writing about a fragrance you really hate. Those reviews are sometime harder to write and get the creative juices flowing.
11 years ago
Is this where the creatively constipated support group meets? Hi, I brought donuts.

11 years ago
yum yum
11 years ago
I find my creativity can get sucked out by my day job....lol Strangely enough, I'm a much more creative person at night.
11 years ago
I write better when I smell something that i cant compare to anything else. Sometimes the fragrance is so beautiful that I can't find words to describe it. Most days I am just too tired to get started. I hope to one day be able to detect notes, then it will be easier for me.
11 years ago
I find that writing has a lot to do with believing that what you do matters and then having a love for what you're writing about. If you have those two, then the words will come. If you've lost one or both of those two, then writing is impossible.

Writing is a creation, and like all created things serves a purpose. When its purpose has been achieved, you can feel "full", "burned out", or complete. Maybe your feelings capture that you've contributed all you can or want to?
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Is this where the creatively constipated support group meets? Hi, I brought donuts.

Donuts. Mmmm. I like "creatively constipated". It's safer than "textually frustrated". Hah!
11 years ago
"Textually frustrated" is absolutely priceless, safe or not. Laughing
11 years ago
Silverfire:
I find that writing has a lot to do with believing that what you do matters and then having a love for what you're writing about. If you have those two, then the words will come. If you've lost one or both of those two, then writing is impossible.

Writing is a creation, and like all created things serves a purpose. When its purpose has been achieved, you can feel "full", "burned out", or complete. Maybe your feelings capture that you've contributed all you can or want to?

My problem is that I sometimes find it difficult to shed my workplace writing style, which is dry as dust and lacks any trace of enthusiasm, humor or emotion.
11 years ago
I have had writer's block lately too. I haven't been too keen to sample or try anything new I'm part of the sample pass currently going on, so maybe that will inspire me to write.
11 years ago
I get it constantly. Life is busy, interesting, aggravating, downright hateful or beautiful, depending on the day I suppose. It's full of distractions and like Apicius stated, after reviewing so many aromas, it's difficult to be impressed or even maintain enthusiasm sometimes.

I no longer try and force a review because I feel like one is due. I used to do that, but not anymore. I'll go weeks or longer ( sometimes ) completely uninterested and have a pile of samples on hand.

My advice is wait until the mood strikes. The writing will be better and more importantly, you'll feel better about what you've written.
11 years ago
Structure is the enemy of writing ...

When tax return time approaches in March and I have to get my papers ready and do the math, no free wheeling thoughts tumble in my mind to do a piece of prose.

Often - just after waking up in the morning, after a dream, the words come easily - the daily humdrum has not yet set in.

Perfume does however bring out poetic thoughts ... one just has to relax to translate them into words ...
11 years ago
I've upgraded this thread:

10 years ago
Writing can't be forced. It comes from the soul and from the heart. It's a passionate entity that only that person feels.
What we write at Parfumo are quality reviews so when we sit down to discuss a perfume, it's not a few words, it's prose and poetry and actual thoughts well put together. It's more of an essay detailing the finer and weaker points of that perfume in the genre of each individual reviewer.
The reviews that I read at Parfumo are finely detailed in such a quality manner that makes this site stand out from others. But that's the beauty of Parfumo. None of us want to force reviews from ourselves. We don't want to say "Ewwwww...." or "It stinks" and leave it at that. We know when we need to take a break or when perfumes just aren't eliciting enough of a response from our inner selves to quantify a review yet. Writer's Block just means one needs a new window to look out of for a bit to refresh themselves.
There is always something to write about if you love to write, be it perfumes or something else.
10 years ago
Writer's block - when one cannot write at all.

The brain works in strange ways. Language is the avenue with which to communicate. So, if you have something to say, you will be able to spit it out when the urge is strong enough. The question is just to make sure to be understood.

So, when that departed member clothed her words in French instead of English in a English-speaking group, she did not really want to communicate and reach anybody. It was a social armour, possibly out of timidity.

I had no Writer's block whatsoever to recently post a negative review about "Black Afgano" over on the German site. My writing was fueled by first the personal sniffing impression of that creation and second by the behavior of the company NASOMATTO when they did not appear at a trade show and instead left a pooping dog display and the words, "We will be back", in total disrespect to the potential buyers who had taken the trouble to come to the trade show from far and wide. So that memory of that incident influenced what I would write, although the nose could not detect anything good about the scent either, to write a positive review.

I had no Writer's block, I wanted to make the (German) review stick as something not worth writing about.

So, passion fuels the perfume reviews, or not. Like now, my words are elaborate in the defense of the review over there, which elicited many comments. So, in a way, it was a good exchange after all.
10 years ago
I've always found it easier to express myself in writing when I have a strong opinion one way or the other. I guess that's natural. Though, considering how opinionated I am, you'd think I'd be more prolific, huh! Laughing
REPLY 10 years ago
Hi, everyone has a writer's block, most recommendations from writing guide websites says that to start writing you should research and have understanding about the topics. When you are ready, just start writing leaving worries about grammar and punctuation. Afterwards, you can come back on writing to check errors which is known as proofreading. So next time you write about perfume,discount authentic designer bags or house cleaning, forget worrying that you must write flawlessly at first time.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Writer's Block
Jump to