Search Forum

Comments on perfumes: compliments and insults

26 - 50 by 79
12 years ago
My sister, whom I don't see often, usually makes negative comments. She is super sensitive and smells every tiniest droplet. And she hates most of it. But I think for other reasons...
12 years ago
One of my best friends, a gay guy, sometimes makes comments when hugging me. When he likes it, he has good taste, he doesn't let me go and keeps inhaling his nose stuck to my neck.
He made very positive comments about l'heure bleue and LADDM. The latter was very feminine to his nose *lol*
When I made him try it he was scared if it might be too feminine for him.
12 years ago
From other people I got positive comments for coromandel. Usually when hugging.
11 years ago
Speaking of sister, mine once got seriously aggravated with her MIL and finally exploded by teling her "And you smell like candied carrion, get the hell out of my house!" The marriage survived. Laughing
11 years ago
DieNase:

Hmmm.... there seems to be a lot of hugging going on in your life, DieNase.

Laughing
11 years ago
I never did find out what perfume her MIL was wearing, though... What on Earth could smell like candied carrion? *shudders*
11 years ago
It's funny that I enjoy the most wearing gourmand fragrances, but then, when someone makes a statement that something is smelling of sweets and cookies, I get annoyed! Very Happy and a bit Crying or Very sad as I don't consider them that banal and simple and.. domestic. Very Happy
11 years ago
One day at work, I stopped in Blue Mercury on my lunch hour and spritzed myself with Serge Noire. Back at the office, one of my colleagues said, "OMG, what did you do?! You smell burnt...like a crematorium or something."

So much for testing perfume on my lunch hour. Embarassed
11 years ago
I remember wearing White Diamonds by Liz Taylor
My Sister's Ex Boyfriend Commented that

'I smelled like a Old Jewish Lady at a Bingo Game' Shocked
11 years ago
Lola82:

That is funny. It's so specific! Laughing
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Lola82:

That is funny. It's so specific! Laughing

Not to mention, old Jewish ladies play mahjong, not Bingo. Wink
11 years ago
Sherapop:
DieNase:

Hmmm.... there seems to be a lot of hugging going on in your life, DieNase.

Laughing

Hm, not that much. That's why I don't get complimented more often?
11 years ago
A friend and I were on the sidewalk outside of my home talking today. She interrupted the subject and said "....i'm sorry, I have to know what you're wearing. You smell so good." It was (and at this point it still is) OJ Ormonde Woman.

This has always been one of my favs and I'm glad she liked it. It was cute how she had to change subjects to ask about my fragrance. Very Happy
11 years ago
I love it too, Twjb. It's really unique and not at all "perfumey," so even the people in my life who are not crazy about fragrance seem to enjoy it.
11 years ago
There's a newbie in at my yoga studio. He has not figured out that coming to class clean and in clean clothes is simply polite. So he stinks up the room something fierce. Today, foreseeing the unpleasantness to come, I wore a little bit of SL 5 O'Clock au Gingembre in yoga.
And several people tried to put their mats right close to mine, lol. One of them said "If I can smell you during the deep breathing exercises, I'll survive this class" lol.

... Somebody really needs to talk to this newbie. Confused
11 years ago
No matter what classic Guerlain fragrance I wear, I always get comments saying I smell like incense. I suppose that's alright!
11 years ago
This topic is yet another example of the wonderful people that inhabit Parfumo! Even when the scent stories recount how others -friends, family, colleagues- have reacted in less than polite ways to our fragrance, all the anecdotes end with our fellow Parfumo-ists (Parfumicans?) showing grace, humor and civility. Bravi tutti! It's nice to hear about people being sensitive and considerate.

While it's always nice to get the occasional compliment out of the blue, I wear scent primarily for the enjoyment of myself and my wife. As long as a fragrance pleases us, I'm happy.

My son, on the other hand, tends to be my biggest vocal detractor. He'll let me know If he doesn't like something I'm wearing. However, he's also the source of my favorite compliments: like finding my designer label fragrances in his bathroom or smelling a familiar scent as he's rushing out the door for an evening out with friends. Those are, by far, my favorite compliments.
11 years ago
My brother used to say that Far Away by Avon smelled like Novocaine.
11 years ago
When I go out, I'll wear less perfume so as not to offend anyone since it seems there are some that are olfactory-inhibited these days. Sad But one of my neighbors (a friend) always compliments me on my perfumes, wanting to know what one I'm wearing that day. She's always asking, and telling me I smell so good. She appreciates perfumes. A male friend of mine, grabs my arm, sniffs it, and tries to pick out the notes when he sees me. He's one who enjoys nature and scents. He'll rate my perfumes, and it's fun.
Now, my daughter, absolutely detests perfumes. No matter what I wear, will tell me, "that smells powderey". That's the only description she knows. She owns two perfumes from The Gap(enough said?) that she wears and will wear nothing else. I've tried to open fragrance discussions with her, but she balks and just isn't interested.
11 years ago
I recently applied a dab of Philosophy's "Amazing Grace" after a shower and right before bed and my husband- who rarely notices any of my fragrances, woke up out of sound sleep yelling that he thought perhaps one of the "Box Elder Bugs"/"stinkbugs" we saw earlier in our yard had gotten inside the bed room and gotten angry (they release a horrid smelling defense substance when attacked- like skunks, only more like herbal grassy garbage). Then I said smell my arm and he said "Yes, that's what I smell. You'd better get out right now and shower again!"
11 years ago
I recently applied a dab of Philosophy's "Amazing Grace" after a shower and right before bed and my husband- who rarely notices any of my fragrances, woke up out of sound sleep yelling that he thought perhaps one of the "Box Elder Bugs"/"stinkbugs" we saw earlier in our yard had gotten inside the bed room and gotten angry (they release a horrid smelling defense substance when attacked- like skunks, only more like herbal grassy garbage). Then I said smell my arm and he said "Yes, that's what I smell. You'd better get out right now and shower again!:0b9afb666b]

Wow, that's strong. Hope you haven-t bought a full bottle of the juice.
11 years ago
Flavorite:
I recently applied a dab of Philosophy's "Amazing Grace" after a shower and right before bed and my husband- who rarely notices any of my fragrances, woke up out of sound sleep yelling that he thought perhaps one of the "Box Elder Bugs"/"stinkbugs" we saw earlier in our yard had gotten inside the bed room and gotten angry (they release a horrid smelling defense substance when attacked- like skunks, only more like herbal grassy garbage). Then I said smell my arm and he said "Yes, that's what I smell. You'd better get out right now and shower again!:cac2e3d15c]

Wow, that's strong. Hope you haven-t bought a full bottle of the juice.

Of course I have! A fool is a fool above all else! It is hiding in my closet with all the other rejects!
10 years ago
I've been wearing Habinita lately. And I've had two comments from two males, and I never get comments.
The first one wasn't so much a comment but an action. I go for physical therapy right now for an injury, and the young man that is addressing my injury and I talk about all sorts of things. The day I was wearing Habinita, he said he "wanted to show me some photos from his cell phone". So he suddenly sits next to me on the table. (which he never did before) And he sits really close. I swore he was inhaling me, because he went through a bunch of pics with long descriptives. It was just funny to me how he was acting.

The second one happened when I got a flat tire. The tow truck comes, the operator of the truck gets out, and fixes my flat. He starts this conversation with me, etc., and he's really talkative. And standing close. Then he leaves. My friend in the car wants to go to a fast food place across the street afterwards. So we go. Who's also there, but the tow truck guy. He sees me, jumps up from his table, comes up to the counter pulls out his cell phone, and shows me a photo of his dog and starts talking to me. Then he invites us to sit with him. So we do. As we're talking, he suddenly tells me, he smelled my perfume outside the car. My friend gives me the eye. Then he says, "Are you a woman that sprays the air and walks through her perfume? It just smelled so wonderful." This was outside in 30 degree weather, no less.

Needless to say, Habinita has that effect on men apparently. My friend on the way home begged me for a decant of it....lol.
10 years ago
Sorceress:
I've been wearing Habinita lately. And I've had two comments from two males, and I never get comments.
The first one wasn't so much a comment but an action. I go for physical therapy right now for an injury, and the young man that is addressing my injury and I talk about all sorts of things. The day I was wearing Habinita, he said he "wanted to show me some photos from his cell phone". So he suddenly sits next to me on the table. (which he never did before) And he sits really close. I swore he was inhaling me, because he went through a bunch of pics with long descriptives. It was just funny to me how he was acting.

The second one happened when I got a flat tire. The tow truck comes, the operator of the truck gets out, and fixes my flat. He starts this conversation with me, etc., and he's really talkative. And standing close. Then he leaves. My friend in the car wants to go to a fast food place across the street afterwards. So we go. Who's also there, but the tow truck guy. He sees me, jumps up from his table, comes up to the counter pulls out his cell phone, and shows me a photo of his dog and starts talking to me. Then he invites us to sit with him. So we do. As we're talking, he suddenly tells me, he smelled my perfume outside the car. My friend gives me the eye. Then he says, "Are you a woman that sprays the air and walks through her perfume? It just smelled so wonderful." This was outside in 30 degree weather, no less.

Needless to say, Habinita has that effect on men apparently. My friend on the way home begged me for a decant of it....lol.

Habinita....hmmmm....interesting! It must go on my test list; One never knows when one might have car trouble!!!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Comments on perfumes: compliments and insults
26 - 50 by 79
Jump to