Search Forum

De-Influencing ?

De-Influencing ? 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

lately I've been hearing a lot in social media about "de-influencing".  Do you think this is also something happening right now in the perfume community? 

more specifically, in the German perfume community?  Love to hear your opinion on this.

Regards,

1 year ago

Thanks for sharing this! I haven't heard of "de-influencing" before, but it sounds intriguing. Can you explain what it means?

1 year ago

Hi,

It seems it's when tiktokers or reviewers tell their followers what products not to buy. I think it refers mostly to TikTok but now I also see it in YouTube among make-up and even in perfume reviewers.  I am at an age that, well, I don't use TT and this is kind of new for me so I was wondering if this is somehow connected threads on slow-buy, low-buy on the German Parfum@s side? Is this "de-influencing"?

Regards,

1 year ago 1

I don't see the connection between deinfluencing and slow-buy. 

Deinfluencing may be just a way to stand out as not so many do it. Also a tactic to enhance credibility and authority. Nobody will suspect that a de- influencer is "bought". 

1 year ago 1

I understand, this would explain why you hear the term with beauty, make-up reviewers so often. Kind of disingenuous from them.

thanks for your comment.

1 year ago 1

That's slightly ironic, hehe. By telling people what not to buy, you're still influencing them anyway.

1 year ago 1

Right! End of the day, being an influencer it's a job. Nothing bad with that I just hope there would be more transparency and disclosure. Thanks for your comment.

1 year ago

For those who might be interested in this topic here's an article. Not exactly relating to perfume but to the beauty industry in general.

„De-Influencing and loyalty top concerns for beauty brands leaders”, by Zofia Zwieglinska, March 20, 2023. Source: Glossy website.

1 year ago 2

I think that the whole aspect of de-influencing comes from the makeup community. Everybody knows there are a lot of products that get their 5 minutes of glory because they are recommended by influencers and then become viral (which causes stock problems, but that's another story). People were getting sick of products being recommended by influencers with fake positive reviews when in real life these products are often not that good. I think the de-influencing trend comes from a good place, although it has turned into a somewhat virla topic (which kind of negates the whole point of it, but hey).

I think de-influencing has bled into the perfume community (I have heard this term being used a few times through Instagram Reels / Tik Tok and Youtube, but I'm from Canada) as a way to stop people from buying overhyped perfumes. For example, I know many people threw themselves at the You (Eau de Parfum)You Eau de Parfum when it became available on Sephora Canada / US without making their research first. It also became quite viral on social media. I then saw de-influencing posts about You (Eau de Parfum)You Eau de Parfum telling people why they shouldn't buy it. Sure, it's on these gullible people to do their research before buying any and everything, but at the same time, I think it's a nice trend. I think that with de-influencing posts, we get better reviews by people that are not necessarily influencers.

I don't think it's connected to slow-buy or low-buy although de-influencing does have an impact. I thin kthese trends all come from a good place: trying to avoid waste and asking people to really do their research instead of jumping on the first hype-train.

11 months ago

I have definitely seen this happening on YouTube with a lot of clones especially being pushed instead of the product they are cloning. A big example of this is AsadAsad which cloned Sauvage ElixirSauvage Elixir and suddenly there were lots of videos telling people to stop buying Sauvage as everyone is wearing it and it is not unique so just buy the cheap clone instead.

Another strange video I saw when I got back in to collecting was from non other than Jeremy Fragrance himself where in the video he outright told people to not waste money on Eros (Eau de Parfum)Eros Eau de Parfum and just buy Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue (Eau de Toilette)Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue Eau de Toilette

Me being new to collecting in the manor that I do now listened to him at first thinking that they must smell very similar so didn’t bother with Eros. I am glad I found it in a sale one day because I think it is a fantastic fragrance and is nothing like Dylan Blue. I also got Eros FlameEros Flame when I heard it was said to be being discontinued but it isn’t and has become quite popular this year especially.

I think it is some form of coming across as genuine to the viewer to think that they have the viewer’s interest at heart because a lot of people we’re getting fed up of being told even new batches of certain fragrances that have been around for years still had beast mode performance when in fact it was the opposite and people were talking about it in their videos comments section and not to trust the video creator’s words anymore. So, what better way to gain someone’s trust by telling them what not to buy. This is something we see in the gaming section of YouTube a lot and when those kind of videos were new and refreshing it brought lots of attention to people who were seen as honest reviewers. I think a good channel on YouTube is Chaos Fragrances for honesty but other than new releases he only covers the same designer and niche brands all the time while he has a whole collection of stuff like Roja behind him but he always is talking about the usual Parfums de Marly, Tom Ford etc. I have started to ask for him to create a 2nd channel to start covering all the wonderful niche fragrances that he rarely talks about we can see sitting behind him. There are more than enough channels talking about Tom Ford, Layton and clones.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic De-Influencing ?
Jump to