Search Forum

Shem-el-Nessim by Grossmith

Shem-el-Nessim by Grossmith 10 years ago
Having come across this perfume via a generous decant from a nice member, I was doubtful what to make of this grassy scent.

The reputation travels ahead of this scent, and I thought that I have to like it, at least give it a thoughtful chance.

Fellow member MiaVonTrost gave me a link to this BBC video clip, originally to talk about Brazil and a future market, but look, there is a reference to "Shem-el-Nessim" right at the beginning at spot 0.53, and more to follow about the history of the house Grossmith. www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ZSJqOvCFs

Yes and no. I sprayed it on, the sillage was very nice, but close to the skin my nose only perceived a lot of grass, a dry feel like a stuffed mattress. Others will only smell the aura and really, the sillage is very nice.

So, I put it away, with the rest of the samples.

No and yes. Well, you see this morning Kafka published an article about it. This woman really writes (I am one of her fans). So, I sprayed "Shem-el-Nessim" on again, to follow along with the article the development of this scent. And, reflected off the computer screen, it is a marvelous experience. So soft, so oriental. So many herbs, such a nice powdery note. But unlike Kafka, I lack the words. Read along with the help of the link, to see what I mean. Enjoy.
www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2014/06/19/grossmith-sh em-el-nessim-romantic-beauty/
10 years ago
I absolutely love this scent. It's what I wish L'Heure Bleue would smell like. But it is so insanely expensive!
10 years ago
"Shem-el-Nessim" is simply beautiful.
10 years ago
Is it any good?
I mean can it fit a young girl?
The three famous Grossmith perfumes 10 years ago
So, I had Shem-el-Nessim in a large decant and got used to it. Following the hype about Hasu-no-Hana and to a lesser degree about Phul-Nana, I ordered the latter two from AusLiebezumDuft. They have generous sample sizes, easily 2.5 to 3 ml content. Okay. The samples arrived. Hasu-no-Hana is a poem in perfumery but dries down to - my nose - burnt rubber. Not for me. Phul-Nana is very pleasant in an old-fashioned way and also is more an event, a poem, than a wearable perfume.

Too expensive. I would not know an occasion to carry off such demanding perfumes.

All three are beautiful but not day-to-day companions.

I put the 3 samples aside and wear them occasionally for myself, in peace and quiet.

In public, I would be afraid to smell too much of "old lady" type of vintage perfume. Only the initiated noses would appreciate such a smell. I cannot wear these on a bus.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Shem-el-Nessim by Grossmith
Jump to