276 - 297 by 297
6 years ago
Presently, I'm reading 1963: The Year of the Revolution

4 years ago
Way of the peaceful warrior.
4 years ago

I'm a music history geek.
4 years ago
Since the pandemic has left me with a lot more free time, I decided to tackle Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Presently, I'm between books; I finished book 4 and I'm waiting for book 5. I'm doing things the (semi) old fashioned way by checking them out virtually from the library.

Mindf*ck 3 years ago
The story behind the Cambridge Analytica. It tells about the psychological war - a war in which all of us, who use the Internet and social media are pawns as soldiers. About how we are manipulated by taking advantage of human cognitive and emotional weaknesses. One of the most interesting and unfortunately the most alarming books I have read this year. Because in the year of a pandemic, it is extremely easy to fuel human fear and anger.
Re: Mindf*ck 3 years ago
Hatka
The story behind the Cambridge Analytica. It tells about the psychological war - a war in which all of us, who use the Internet and social media are pawns as soldiers. About how we are manipulated by taking advantage of human cognitive and emotional weaknesses. One of the most interesting and unfortunately the most alarming books I have read this year. Because in the year of a pandemic, it is extremely easy to fuel human fear and anger.

Wow. This sounds like a must-read. I'll check it out.

In the time since I last posted I've read Bob Woodward's 'Fear', which truly was terrifying.

Cilka's Journey (2019) 3 years ago
Heather Morris

It si very good
2 years ago

Three volumes into Mao by Rumiko Takahashi also re-reading The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon along with my upteenth re-read of Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama.

11 months ago

reading Nightwood by Djuna Barnes.  The first lesbian novel written by  a lesbian, very James Joyce like 

11 months ago

Finally getting round to reading SpyxFamily by Tatsuya Endo, took me a while to get all the volumes that are out but better late then never.

And this bit got a laugh out of me too.

10 months ago
The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia by Tim Tzouliadis. This needs to be made into a movie. Absolutely gripping. 
10 months ago

On my 3rd re-read of My Hero Academia.

10 months ago

Well, I'm having to read some texts (historical and theoretical) for finishing up my prospectus for my dissertation. 

- An introduction to theories of popular culture by Dominic Strinati

- Domination and the arts of resistance : hidden transcripts by James C. Scott

- Michel de Certeau : interpretation and its other by Jeremy Ahearne

- The Household and the Making of History: A Subversive View of the Western Past by Mary S. Hartman

10 months ago

Still reading Nightwood by Djuna Barnes. 1936 high modernist lesbian masterpiece that T.S.  Elliott and Joyce loved, takes place in Berlin, Vienna and Paris between the two wars.  

10 months ago

Dismal Freedom: A History of the Maroons of the Great Dismal Swampby-  by J. Brent Morris.

About escaped slaves who lived and formed communities in the Great Dismal Swamp which was located in Virginia and North Carolina.
8 months ago

I'm on a quest to read 200 books this year, so I am reading several things at once...
1. Death's Garden Revisited by Loren Rhoads
2. The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix
3. Worlds Beyond Time: Sci-Fi Art of the 1970s by Adam Rowe
4, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
5. Slavic Kitchen Alchemy: Nourishing Herbal Remedies, Magical Recipes & Folk Wisdom by Zuza Zak

7 months ago
Coasterdude

Still reading Nightwood by Djuna Barnes. 1936 high modernist lesbian masterpiece that T.S.  Elliott and Joyce loved, takes place in Berlin, Vienna and Paris between the two wars.  

This is my favorite book ever, read it a number of times now. Nice to see someone else knows and loves it. I never thought of it as a "lesbian" book despite it being about a couple of lesbians. It is a beautifully written and fucked up love story. I wonder if Barnes herself thought of it that way. Different times though. 

5 months ago

This one 👇

4 months ago

"The coddling of the American mind. How good intentions and bad ideas are setting up a generation for failure" by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt.

4 months ago
Anonym

Three volumes into Mao by Rumiko Takahashi also re-reading The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon along with my upteenth re-read of Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama.

I revere Rumiko Takahashi. Inuyasha is my one and only.

2 months ago

Gold Rumi- translated by Harley Liza Gafori

1 month ago
276 - 297 by 297
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Books: what are you reading right now?
Jump to