Search Forum

The end of a love affair-Scents that have lost their magic ?

126 - 147 by 147
10 years ago
I've never been more sorry I asked tbh.
10 years ago
Yo, people *were* trying to have a discussion until it devolved into a shouting match over a layperson term for a common fragrance experience, and I am really really sorry I even asked about it on a topic that was about something else entirely. I have no idea what *you* think happened, but this is the kind of thing that stifles discussion rather than encourages it. Now, let's move on.
10 years ago
Sweetgrass:
Yo, people *were* trying to have a discussion until it devolved into a shouting match over a layperson term for a common fragrance experience, and I am really really sorry I even asked about it on a topic that was about something else entirely. I have no idea what *you* think happened, but this is the kind of thing that stifles discussion rather than encourages it. Now, let's move on.

Perfectly stated, Sweetgrass.

Now, back to the original topic.

"Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang"

I am currently a wee bit bored with it. I say currently because I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing because the weather is cold and it takes more spice than this one has to excite me in cold weather. It's actually a good oriental for warmer weather because it isn't super spicy. I was craving spice so much today I reached for Obsession, for cryin' out loud. Laughing
10 years ago
"Lys du desert" - although it is a nice piece of the Andy Tauer collection, it seems a bit dry to me.

In this cold winter air, I like the comfort zone of, say, "Oppoponax" by Les Nereides, to give out some warmth.

Both scents are laden with vanilla, but am tired of too cold, austere vibes.

For the same reason, "Parfum Sacre" by Caron does not do it for me anymore, either.
10 years ago
Can't say that anything has ever really lost its magic for me. Once liked or loved, I'll always feel that way. Whatever the perfume is, it just stays in the rotational seasonal area, so to speak. I just don't like certain perfumes for certain times of year and will "fall out of love" seasonally for them.
10 years ago
Sorceress:
Can't say that anything has ever really lost its magic for me. Once liked or loved, I'll always feel that way. Whatever the perfume is, it just stays in the rotational seasonal area, so to speak. I just don't like certain perfumes for certain times of year and will "fall out of love" seasonally for them.

That's probably what's happening to me with PC Amber Ylang Ylang.

But one that I have definitely fallen out of love with (and I feel all the more obligated to admit this since I have sung it's praises in the past) is Dana's "French Vanilla". The last time I wore it, I thought, "This smells inexpensive." Not generally a selling point for perfume, huh? Laughing

I will chalk this up to my evolving taste in perfume. I mean, I've now got Coromandel in my arsenal. Enough said. Wink
10 years ago
It wasn't really a love affair but a while ago I gave my partner "Blue Jeans" as a casual, spritz-ten-times-and-think-nothing-of-it scent as otherwise he uses those loud, screechy deodorant sprays. Fast forward a few months of him using Blue Jeans, I took it off him and stowed it away! I just couldn't stand it any more... so linear, plastic, synthetic. When I first bumped into it I found it quite fun and refreshing but now it drives me up the walls.
I've given him Jacomo for Men and Instinct by Beckham to go nuts with instead. He doesn't mind me pressing perfumes on him, finds it quite amusing I think.
10 years ago
Sorceress:

That goes for me as well...Though, right now, my big-time-favourite from last winter, "White Aoud", does not excite me at all...too loud, but the base is quite nice. Yet again, the coldest time of the year is still to come, so in January it just might find a new place in my heart again. Smile
I must add... 10 years ago
"Youth Dew" and "Cinnabar" to my list of ones I loved but don't any more.
the pendulum swings for me 10 years ago
Tnahowru:
"Youth Dew" and "Cinnabar" to my list of ones I loved but don't any more.

Do you think you might ever go back to loving them? And do you theorize as to why your taste has changed?

My taste was pretty narrow most of my life (green florals or nothing!), then it inexplicably switched up completely and became narrow for spicy, woody, vanillic orientals. Now I'm falling back in love with the green florals of my youth, and so now I seem to love them all. I've learned to hold onto the ones I once loved, because maybe I'll love them again someday.
Why do I think I've changed... 10 years ago
how I feel about a perfume I used to love?

I think it's a physical vs a mental thing.

Something in me has changed physically and just don't like it any more, however, that could change again in the future.
Re: Why do I think I've changed... 10 years ago
Tnahowru:
how I feel about a perfume I used to love?

I think it's a physical vs a mental thing.

Something in me has changed physically and just don't like it any more, however, that could change again in the future.

That's basically what I think happened to me too. I have theories as to why, but I really have no clue. I'm just glad my taste is not so narrow anymore. Fluctuation in taste is so mysterious, it's like being in love: you can't decide to be, you just are or you aren't.
10 years ago
Sometimes scents are associated with certain events. And when the decade is over, the spell is over, too.

New scents are welcomed and take precedence. Like right now I love the just acquired "Anima Dulcis" - so sweet and Christmas-like, it fits this season, and was worn exclusively.

Will I like it this Summer? Not certain.
10 years ago
There are some statements in this thread that I do not like.

I can understand that some topics can provoke different opinions, and sometimes one prefers to insist on one's opinion. I like controversial arguments here but nevertheless everybody must follow the general netiquette.

If you want to argue with each other, it would be very advisable to also make clear that you nevertheless respect each other as a fellow perfume lover.
10 years ago
I regularly fall out of love with fragrances. You'd think I'd learn my lesson because I always fall for the same olfactory characters that end up treatin' me bad. For instance, those that have a sharp leather/birch tar aspect like Tom Ford "Tuscan Leather". I love hefty leathers - "Bandit" is another one- but over time I find they overwhelm my senses.

Another note/accord that tends to be love at first sniff and a nasty break up a few months down the road is sandalwood. Especially if it's a fairly sharp sandalwood, like Art of Shaving "Sandalwood Essential Oil" . It can overwhelm me after while. Gee, and I wrote such a nice review of SEO. It really is a great sandalwood fragrance, I'm just not sure it's right for me anymore. I've moved on...
Last edited by Greysolon on 03.01.2014, 17:11; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Sweetgrass:

I don't know. Didn't I clear up this whole controversy a couple of years ago?
salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com/2011/12/my th-of-skin-chemistry-myth.html
Twisted Evil
10 years ago
Sherapop:
Sweetgrass:

I don't know. Didn't I clear up this whole controversy a couple of years ago?
salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com/2011/12/my th-of-skin-chemistry-myth.html
Twisted Evil

Several days ago when reading this thread I said to myself ... self ...where in the hell is Shera Wink
10 years ago
Kenzo pour homme. Once my signature scent, now I can barely stand it. Since otherwise my taste developed but never fundamentally changed, I attribute half of this effect to oversaturation, especially since, for some time, a work colleague of mine was also (over)using it... I still consider it a classic in its class however.
10 years ago
My daughter will dab the corpse with Bal a Versailles when I die. The old bod will sure as hell smell different then, full of embalming fluids, but the Bal and I won't mind that we smell different - and the same.
For a time my husband had to take a drug that altered his body odour; mixed with his Ungaro III, it wasn't the greatest, but I never said because that would have destroyed his confidence. Perfume gives us confidence, yes? A poem by Rudyard Kipling

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
10 years ago
Great post, Omni.

"but I never said because that would have destroyed his confidence."

Such a loving thing to do.

And "IF" only we all re-read and took Kipling's words to heart every single day, what a world we'd have.
10 years ago
Thank you Dulcemio. The fact that he was willing to get up, shower and use a fragrance was enough for me. He was such a trooper. He wore Aramis Devin when I met him and even though it's different now, (the point of the thread we are contributing to) it still sets my tummy to butterflies.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The end of a love affair-Scents that have lost their magic ?
126 - 147 by 147
Jump to