Search Forum

What would you reccommend for someone who likes ysl y edp?

What would you reccommend for someone who likes ysl y edp? 1 year ago

I recently got into the fragrance game, and one of the perfumes that I fell in love with was YSL y edp. What are some perfumes you'd reccomend for a 21 year old guy who likes that particular product?

Recommendation 1 year ago

What do you love about YSL Y? I love saltiness in it's drydown. If you like the way it develops, changes over time, on your skin then you should try another YSL fragrance. Because Y is on the cleaner side and is a bit strong, you can test out La Nuit De L'Homme. It is a tad spicy and darker. The dries down into an alluring powderiness. The projection is weak but that's what makes it so lovely and attractive. If you test it and love it, I recommend getting the bigger bottle because you'll need to spray extra which is a good chance to spread the fragrance out around your skin. Y is a good everyday fragrance with staying power and LNDL is a great cuddling, kissing, bedtime fragrance. LNDL on a date is very nice. That's my recommendation from the same house and I'm sure it would smell divine on Y after it's mostly faded away. 

Re: Recommendation 1 year ago
JoshMonkey

What do you love about YSL Y? I love saltiness in it's drydown. If you like the way it develops, changes over time, on your skin then you should try another YSL fragrance. Because Y is on the cleaner side and is a bit strong, you can test out La Nuit De L'Homme. It is a tad spicy and darker. The dries down into an alluring powderiness. The projection is weak but that's what makes it so lovely and attractive. If you test it and love it, I recommend getting the bigger bottle because you'll need to spray extra which is a good chance to spread the fragrance out around your skin. Y is a good everyday fragrance with staying power and LNDL is a great cuddling, kissing, bedtime fragrance. LNDL on a date is very nice. That's my recommendation from the same house and I'm sure it would smell divine on Y after it's mostly faded away. 

I like the clean tone to it and the blue/green apple notes to it and it being slightly sweet. I tried LNDL and it was great but I know its projection and longevity is disappointing so I'm trying to find something similar

Re: Recommendations 1 year ago 2

Based on how you described what you like I think you would enjoy these 3 things:

1) Other "blue" fragrances

YSL Y EdP belongs to a category of so called "blue" fragrances. "Blue" in general means fragrances that are fresh with a hint of sweetness and that are overall very modern-smelling. It's a broad category but I'd recommend you try these scents from it:

- Bleu de Chanel

Maybe the classiest "blue" scent, it has grapefruit, a bit of incense and some woody notes. Overall it's very fresh with a slightly sweet and woody backgroud. It's generally considered an extremely good fragrance, liked by both fragrance enthusiasts (that sometimes look down upon at "blue" fragrances as being too normie or even boring) and the general population. I think you would really enjoy this one. There are EdT, EdP and Parfum concentrations and I recommend trying them all if you can but if you have to start with one, start with the EdP, that one is in many ways the realest Bleu from the line.

- Dior Sauvage

Currently the best-selling men's fragrance on the market and for a good reason. Some people can't stand it and say it's too strong and too common. But it might fit your tastes well, it's very fresh but a bit dark at the same time, has some sweetness. People who don't spend time on fragrance forums also often really really like it. It might be a common scent depending on your social circle or your country but in my experience not that many people know it and I keep getting questions about what scent am I wearing and how can it be that good, so don't let online reviews discourage you. There are EdT, EdP, Parfum and Elixir concentrations. EdT and EdP are the what people mostly think of when they think of Sauvage. EdT is cleaner while EdP adds a bit of spiciness and some extra swetness from the orange but overall I find these two very similar. I'd start with testing either one of them. The Parfum is kind of the odd one out, it's the only one that doesn't have that strong projection and is much smoother with some extra ambery notes. I still like it and would encourage you to try it but maybe don't start with it. Elixir is the newest release, it's really worth trying because it is dark but fresh like the rest but taken to the max. This one is strong, almost to a fault. But it's really worth trying, there's nothing else like it on the market. (Elixir is also really expensive so take that to account, but I'd say try it anyway.)

- Versace Dylan Blue

Another "blue" fragrance but this one is more sporty, salty and generally more in your face (though not as strong as Sauvage) and youthful. It has begamot and fig for freshenss, incense for some darkness and sweet, kind of sporty base notes. I really liked it when I was 24 so I think you might like it too. It's very good and very wearable. It's also more affordable than the Dior and the Chanel so that's a nice plus.

2) Non-blue fresh fragrances

The other option is to expand the search to other fragrances that are fresh but also have something else going on to keep them from being boring or too shower gel-like. There are of course many that would fit the description but I think these are the best and you might enjoy them:

- Armani Acqua di Gio Profumo

This one smells like the wild, dark sea. It's related to Acqua di Gio, a very popular scent in the early 2000s (and to this day) but Profumo takes the oceanic freshness and adds darkness of incense and patchouli and overall makes it much better. Another one where both the general population and fragrance enthusiasts really like it. Some people say it smells too mature but I don't get that asociation at all, it's really good. It's less sweet than the fragrances in the "blue" category but lasts a long time and has that alluring darkness that you can't easily get from other fresh fragrances.

- Versace Pour Homme

In my view the most versatile men's fragrance on the market. It's super fresh but definitely not boring. People say it smells a bit like sprite and I think that's actually a good way to have an idea what it's like. It's very fresh, in the beginning green and almost aquatic and then transitions into this bright and clean smell. People love it, it's also very inoffensive and lasts way longer than you'd think, I've gotten compliments after 7 hours. The price is also very pleasant on this on so I wouldn't sleep on it. If you like this one but wish it was a tad sweeter you can try Chanell Allure Homme Sport, which is very similar to this but has some light sweetness in the background (and is more expensive).

- Armani Acqua di Gio Absolu

Another Acqua di Gio, but completely different from Profumo, these two don't share pretty much anything in how they smell so liking or not liking one is not a good way of knowing whether you'd enjoy the other. This one is sweeter than profumo, and the smell of the sea here is more bright and holiday-like, compared to the dark and strong sea of Profumo. Both are really good, Absolu is definitely more youthful and has that sweetness that people tend to like. It sometimes gets hate online because it is not really related to the rest of the Acqua di Gion line, yet bears the same name, but don't listen to that and just try it.

3) Fragrances that are sweeter but still with some freshness

This third category has fragrances that are the most different in smell and in the time of day you would use from Y EdP. But I think you might still enjoy them and they have the benefit of not being too same with Y EdP, because you already have that.

- Versace Eros

This one is a sweet scent with dominant apple, mint that give it freshness and tonka/vanilla that make it sweet. It's really nice, popular and perfect for nights out or casual evening occasions. It isn't really something you would wear to work, it's too joyful and sweet for that so beware. Some people say that it's too much or that it's immature but I think it's really fun to wear in the right occasions. There are EdT, EdP, Parfum and Flame versions. The EdT is the original and almost a modern classic at this point. The EdP ups the fresh mint note if you like that. The Flame on the other hand removes the mint (useful, not everyone is a fan of mint) and adds some spices and a great mandarin note instead of the apple. The Parfum is like the EdT and EdP but smoother, calmer and a bit more mature, while still being a very youthful fragrance. Start with whichever one sounds the best to you but if you don't know the EdT is a good start. The EdT can also be had for really good prices if you catch a nice sale.

- Paco Rabanne Invictus EdT and Invictus Legend

A fragrance that kind of stands in the middle between sweet and fresh which I think might be an interesting choice for you. It's sweeter than your average "blue" or fresh fragrance but not as sweet as fragrances like Eros that generally fit with the evening or fun activities. There are a lot of fragrance in the Invictus line, some not being sold anymore, but I'd say the original EdT and Legend are worth most of your attention. Those two have a sort of pink-bubblegum sweetness to it combined with a lot of freshness and a great performance. The EdT is the original one whereas Legend adds a bit more sweetness and some salty notes. I like Legend the best but try whichever one interests you. There are also Victory and Platinum versions but I don't like those that much. Victory is completely different, more of a chocolate-like evening scent. It's fine, I don't discourage you from trying it, but I wouldn't actively recommend it. Platinum is more in line with the rest of the Invictus fragrances but it has an absinth note that not everyone likes and I overall just prefer the EdT and especially Legend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are my recommendations and you have to find your way to things you like. I really recommend smelling fragrances in person if you can and not buying them without trying. I gave you 3 approaches that you can try, depending on what you are looking for. Fragrances from category 1) will be the most similar to Y EdP which is what you might be looking for, but also might feel a bit redundant since you already have Y. Fragrances from category 2) will be a bit more different but suit the same occasions as Y and have a similar overall vibe. Fragrances from category 3) are the most different from Y EdP but also have a higher chance of giving you something perfect to wear when you don't just want Y or similar fresh scents.

I hope you find some fragrances you like! 

Re: Recommendations 1 year ago 1
Posthuman

Based on how you described what you like I think you would enjoy these 3 things:

1) Other "blue" fragrances

YSL Y EdP belongs to a category of so called "blue" fragrances. "Blue" in general means fragrances that are fresh with a hint of sweetness and that are overall very modern-smelling. It's a broad category but I'd recommend you try these scents from it:

- Bleu de Chanel

Maybe the classiest "blue" scent, it has grapefruit, a bit of incense and some woody notes. Overall it's very fresh with a slightly sweet and woody backgroud. It's generally considered an extremely good fragrance, liked by both fragrance enthusiasts (that sometimes look down upon at "blue" fragrances as being too normie or even boring) and the general population. I think you would really enjoy this one. There are EdT, EdP and Parfum concentrations and I recommend trying them all if you can but if you have to start with one, start with the EdP, that one is in many ways the realest Bleu from the line.

- Dior Sauvage

Currently the best-selling men's fragrance on the market and for a good reason. Some people can't stand it and say it's too strong and too common. But it might fit your tastes well, it's very fresh but a bit dark at the same time, has some sweetness. People who don't spend time on fragrance forums also often really really like it. It might be a common scent depending on your social circle or your country but in my experience not that many people know it and I keep getting questions about what scent am I wearing and how can it be that good, so don't let online reviews discourage you. There are EdT, EdP, Parfum and Elixir concentrations. EdT and EdP are the what people mostly think of when they think of Sauvage. EdT is cleaner while EdP adds a bit of spiciness and some extra swetness from the orange but overall I find these two very similar. I'd start with testing either one of them. The Parfum is kind of the odd one out, it's the only one that doesn't have that strong projection and is much smoother with some extra ambery notes. I still like it and would encourage you to try it but maybe don't start with it. Elixir is the newest release, it's really worth trying because it is dark but fresh like the rest but taken to the max. This one is strong, almost to a fault. But it's really worth trying, there's nothing else like it on the market. (Elixir is also really expensive so take that to account, but I'd say try it anyway.)

- Versace Dylan Blue

Another "blue" fragrance but this one is more sporty, salty and generally more in your face (though not as strong as Sauvage) and youthful. It has begamot and fig for freshenss, incense for some darkness and sweet, kind of sporty base notes. I really liked it when I was 24 so I think you might like it too. It's very good and very wearable. It's also more affordable than the Dior and the Chanel so that's a nice plus.

2) Non-blue fresh fragrances

The other option is to expand the search to other fragrances that are fresh but also have something else going on to keep them from being boring or too shower gel-like. There are of course many that would fit the description but I think these are the best and you might enjoy them:

- Armani Acqua di Gio Profumo

This one smells like the wild, dark sea. It's related to Acqua di Gio, a very popular scent in the early 2000s (and to this day) but Profumo takes the oceanic freshness and adds darkness of incense and patchouli and overall makes it much better. Another one where both the general population and fragrance enthusiasts really like it. Some people say it smells too mature but I don't get that asociation at all, it's really good. It's less sweet than the fragrances in the "blue" category but lasts a long time and has that alluring darkness that you can't easily get from other fresh fragrances.

- Versace Pour Homme

In my view the most versatile men's fragrance on the market. It's super fresh but definitely not boring. People say it smells a bit like sprite and I think that's actually a good way to have an idea what it's like. It's very fresh, in the beginning green and almost aquatic and then transitions into this bright and clean smell. People love it, it's also very inoffensive and lasts way longer than you'd think, I've gotten compliments after 7 hours. The price is also very pleasant on this on so I wouldn't sleep on it. If you like this one but wish it was a tad sweeter you can try Chanell Allure Homme Sport, which is very similar to this but has some light sweetness in the background (and is more expensive).

- Armani Acqua di Gio Absolu

Another Acqua di Gio, but completely different from Profumo, these two don't share pretty much anything in how they smell so liking or not liking one is not a good way of knowing whether you'd enjoy the other. This one is sweeter than profumo, and the smell of the sea here is more bright and holiday-like, compared to the dark and strong sea of Profumo. Both are really good, Absolu is definitely more youthful and has that sweetness that people tend to like. It sometimes gets hate online because it is not really related to the rest of the Acqua di Gion line, yet bears the same name, but don't listen to that and just try it.

3) Fragrances that are sweeter but still with some freshness

This third category has fragrances that are the most different in smell and in the time of day you would use from Y EdP. But I think you might still enjoy them and they have the benefit of not being too same with Y EdP, because you already have that.

- Versace Eros

This one is a sweet scent with dominant apple, mint that give it freshness and tonka/vanilla that make it sweet. It's really nice, popular and perfect for nights out or casual evening occasions. It isn't really something you would wear to work, it's too joyful and sweet for that so beware. Some people say that it's too much or that it's immature but I think it's really fun to wear in the right occasions. There are EdT, EdP, Parfum and Flame versions. The EdT is the original and almost a modern classic at this point. The EdP ups the fresh mint note if you like that. The Flame on the other hand removes the mint (useful, not everyone is a fan of mint) and adds some spices and a great mandarin note instead of the apple. The Parfum is like the EdT and EdP but smoother, calmer and a bit more mature, while still being a very youthful fragrance. Start with whichever one sounds the best to you but if you don't know the EdT is a good start. The EdT can also be had for really good prices if you catch a nice sale.

- Paco Rabanne Invictus EdT and Invictus Legend

A fragrance that kind of stands in the middle between sweet and fresh which I think might be an interesting choice for you. It's sweeter than your average "blue" or fresh fragrance but not as sweet as fragrances like Eros that generally fit with the evening or fun activities. There are a lot of fragrance in the Invictus line, some not being sold anymore, but I'd say the original EdT and Legend are worth most of your attention. Those two have a sort of pink-bubblegum sweetness to it combined with a lot of freshness and a great performance. The EdT is the original one whereas Legend adds a bit more sweetness and some salty notes. I like Legend the best but try whichever one interests you. There are also Victory and Platinum versions but I don't like those that much. Victory is completely different, more of a chocolate-like evening scent. It's fine, I don't discourage you from trying it, but I wouldn't actively recommend it. Platinum is more in line with the rest of the Invictus fragrances but it has an absinth note that not everyone likes and I overall just prefer the EdT and especially Legend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are my recommendations and you have to find your way to things you like. I really recommend smelling fragrances in person if you can and not buying them without trying. I gave you 3 approaches that you can try, depending on what you are looking for. Fragrances from category 1) will be the most similar to Y EdP which is what you might be looking for, but also might feel a bit redundant since you already have Y. Fragrances from category 2) will be a bit more different but suit the same occasions as Y and have a similar overall vibe. Fragrances from category 3) are the most different from Y EdP but also have a higher chance of giving you something perfect to wear when you don't just want Y or similar fresh scents.

I hope you find some fragrances you like! 

Thank you so much!

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations What would you reccommend for someone who likes ysl y edp?
Jump to