Search Forum

The hobby of collecting

1 - 25 by 30
The hobby of collecting 11 years ago
I collect vintage handkerchiefs, several hundred of them, however I pass them up now when I see them. I was going to frame them. Sad I have a small collection of vintage nautical buoys. Oh, lets not leave out my large collections of Dust Bunnies who display themselves under the beds. Shocked

What do you collect Confused:
11 years ago
I am starting a small collection of dust bunnies myself, behind my computer desk. Wink

I don't collect much; I have a lot of movie, concert, and plane tickets I tack onto a bulletin board or keep in a box.
11 years ago
I collect little bits of Jasperware, especially the boxes.

11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 07:25; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Pictures!! Please. Very Happy
11 years ago
I collect hats and plants.
11 years ago
I collect photographs of World War 1 soldiers.
11 years ago
Didn't collect much until starting on fragrances, which let loose a side of me I didn't know yet!
So, the 2nd thing I took interest in just 2 months ago, quickly turned into an obsession: nail polish! Acquired at least 25 new ones in a month.
The cause of this is all the wonderful pictures FB friends posted of their SOTD with their wonderfully polished nails of the day.
Apparently, posting just your nails and the bottle of polish is called 'swatch'. Anyone who knows why it is called 'swatch'? Only know about a watch with that name.
11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 07:25; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Nice topic I cannot resist to participate in Smile

Update Feb.20, 2014 :
- early photography (approx. 1850-1900)
- manuscripts (1948 backwards)
- antiquarian books
Last edited by PontNeuf on 20.02.2014, 15:18; edited 6 times in total
9 years ago
I have a small collection of wristwatches.
9 years ago
I guess you can say that I am a collector of bycicles.

I have:

- a KTM "Trento" trecking bike with a solid steel frame which I bought in 1993.
- a so called "fitness bike" by Stevens from 2004
- a Pocket Llama by Bike Friday - foldable, 20'' wheels and fully customized, bought in 2007
- a Dahon Smoothhound from 2007 (20'' wheels)
- a Moulton APB (20'' wheels, non-seperable space frame), bought recently 2nd hand, presumably 20 years old.

I would like to have:

- a racing bike with a titanium frame by www.nevi.it or www.kocmo.de
- a classic Indian bike,
- a Pashley Guv'nor
- a Pedersen bike
- a Moulton New Series Double Pylon, probably the most expensive bike in the world (15800 €).

Why buy a car if you can have a bike for the same money?
9 years ago
Apicius, your bike collection is impressive. I don't live in a bike friendly place. All hail the mighty sprawl! There aren't even sidewalks in half my neighborhood, and it's a death wish to ride in the street. SQUISH! It's such a great way to get around. Much more personal and connected to the community around you than cruising in a locked car.

DutchSniffer, I too have a collection of nail varnishes. I primarily stick to the brand OPI. I have close to 100 of them I think. Funny thing is, I didn't wear nail varnish regularly until fairly recently, so why did I buy so many over the years? My nails were to short and brittle to bother with. A co-worker gave me a bottle of Quimica Nail Hardener by Alemana with the promise that this stuff works. Ya' know, she was right. For the first time ever my nails are strong and long enough to bother with. It's been fun re-discovering all the different nail varnish colors I have. Now I have to answer the question, "How many purple nail varnishes does one woman need?"

Digindirt, I love plants. Probably explains my botany degree. Do you collect a specific type like tropical, or succulents? Do you have a hothouse?

PontNeuf, I love old books and photographs. What is the most striking photo you have collected, the one that grabs you the most? Have you read all the books you collect, or just put them on the shelf for posterity sake?
9 years ago
For a while I collected nail polish, too, because I'd collected every color of Havianas (thong sandals) and got the idea that I wanted my toes and sandals to match -- an idea quickly abandoned when I realized I'd have to repaint my toenails every day. Instead, I ordered T-shirts to match my Havianas and it became my signature outfit: Havianas, matching T, and Yoga pants. Must say that when I do paint my toes to match my Havianas, it looks great. p.s. I also own actual clothes but, working from home, try not to wear them.

Quimica Nail Hardener by Alemana, you say? On Amazon it has 313 reviews! Okay, bought. Thanks for sharing that, Briarthorn!

During my travels I collected miniature Kosta Bodas and I have a small collection of turtles, all gifts from hubby.

p.s. I have a small collection of signed menus from great restaurants. The other day I imagined having a huge collection in frames decorating my kitchen--which means I'd have to visit more of them (yum) and get a bigger kitchen!
9 years ago
Oh, I just threw away a Ruth Chris steak House menu. I too thought about framing them for the kitchen. I lived in New Orleans for nine years, so I have a few.
9 years ago
New Orleans, Cincy? I have a signed menu from K-Paul's from '89. Wonder if he's still there? It's the only one presently hanging in the kitchen.
Framed menus 9 years ago
ScentFan, What a neat idea for kitchen décor. I fI didn't live in a shoe box I would totally do that!
9 years ago
I believe they are still there in the same location. One of the few places I have never been. Sad
9 years ago
@Briarthorn:
Well, the most striking photo/s I have gathered so far are either sad postmortems or other serious portraits. They tend to burn themselves into my memory....if you like here you can see some of my collected things :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129444235@N05/se ts/

As for the very old books: I do not read those from beginning to end but perouse through them occasionally. I like having them for their age' s sake and the topic they cover. Two are my favourites. The first describes moral advice for a young king, the other one is about medicine.....toothaches are to be healed with the fat of green frogs and laudanum Smile Quite interesting....well, it was the 17th century.
8 years ago
I love unusual, beautiful decorative antiques especially Victorian and Aesthetic period pieces. I also love Chinoiserie pieces. I do not have a large collection of these items, but I love the pieces I do have, and I am always interested in finding something special to add to my decor.

I have a huge collection of books. I think I have roughly 1,100 titles, but I do not consider them to be a "collection" per se. I think of them as my library. I donated 400 titles to the public library a few years ago, but I want to downsize the number I keep to less than 400, so I have a long way to go. I find it difficult to let go of books; they are like old friends.

I used to collect memorabilia from two of my favourite old telly programmes, "I Love Lucy" and "Dark Shadows." My collections are fairly advanced, and I have not added anything to them in several years. I really should sell off these collections because I have no where to display them. They remain packed away in boxes.

I only began collecting perfumes about three or four years ago, but at the time, I did not realise I was starting a "collection," and it was not my express intention to do so. I had no idea I would soon end up with well over sixty bottles!

These days, aside from perfumes, I mainly collect dust. Wink
8 years ago
My goodness! I just clicked on your link and must say I adore your photos, Pontneuf. Loved the tree with green/orange leaves at the center. You have quite an eye. Thanks for sharing them.
PontNeuf:
@Briarthorn:
Well, the most striking photo/s I have gathered so far are either sad postmortems or other serious portraits. They tend to burn themselves into my memory....if you like here you can see some of my collected things :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129444235@N05/se ts/

As for the very old books: I do not read those from beginning to end but perouse through them occasionally. I like having them for their age' s sake and the topic they cover. Two are my favourites. The first describes moral advice for a young king, the other one is about medicine.....toothaches are to be healed with the fat of green frogs and laudanum Smile Quite interesting....well, it was the 17th century.
8 years ago
I collect perfumes, but not very many as I like to use those I have.
Porcelain (both figurines and practical pieces) are a big thing for me.
I also like little animals made of glass.
I have a small collection of My Little Ponies and other vintage toys.

I collect all things I like. Books, movies, CD's, magazines, jewelry...
8 years ago
I seem to collect everything.... then the dust bunnies gather on their own.

Vintage sewing things is one, but I do have to contain myself from being such a gatherer. Vintage, interesting objects are usually the sorts that catch my eye. Old signs, boxes, jars or bottles with old labels. I seem to like the ancient lettering on them.
6 years ago
Besides perfumes?

I collect math books. Seriously. The older, the better.

I happily hoard anything related to music, particularly rock music, and especially pertaining to The Beatles: CDs, vinyl, books, figurines, memorabilia.

I'm a crazy cat lady so friends and family have given me cat tchotchkes and art through the years.

Vintage furniture, I suppose?
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic The hobby of collecting
1 - 25 by 30
Jump to