Search Forum

Today is the 1st of April / Google Sniffing Day

Today is the 1st of April / Google Sniffing Day 11 years ago
Go have a look at what Google.com came up with. This was originally posted over at Fragrantica. It may however go viral, so here goes:

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Into the search field type anything, for example, blanket
3. When the result comes up, click on the tab Nose Beta
4. This is what I got:

www.google.com/search?q=Durian&hl=en

Now, carry this one step further and click on Smell
11 years ago
Pipette, ahve you ever had durian? My experience is limited and I cannot describe how it smells...perhaps like an essence of garbage.
Interesting!! 11 years ago
I'm telling you now, this is only temporarily an "April Fools" thing. I knew someone who worked at Google a while back (like 10 years ago) and I told him that they needed to develop something like "google smells" where we could search for smells, and of course you'd need some type of device to connect to your computer that could then emit the smell so you experience the smell.

I know that AI computer scientists are working on all kinds of abilities for machines, and a machine that can smell, analyze smells and tell you what they are would be incredibly important. And then to be able to send those smells over the internet. Wow, wouldn't that be cool!!!

I think they are working on it.
Why not - in the future ? 11 years ago
I heard of that also. Then, imagine that - instead of piped-in music through the ears which is real with sound waves - we could get something from our tiny i-pad like smells. But they could not be blown into the nose - like perfume aromatic waves. Instead, there would have to be something attached directly to the brain where the smells coming in from the nose are received, and THAT would have to be stimulated. Correctly, of course. This brings us back to the German discussion - over on the twin site - regarding "Wahrnehmung" (= Perception) instead of "Hautchemie" (= Skin Chemistry).

These contributions of those members (in German) are so good that they ought to be translated, but here I digress far from the original April Fool's joke.

I will put those thoughts into a blog article - over at the twin site.
Last edited by Pipette on 01.04.2013, 13:50; edited 2 times in total
11 years ago
I went on a link for the google nose April Fools Day prank. It was very clever....even had a video, like it was a real deal! I wish we had a perfume one....that would be just wonderful!! Laughing
11 years ago
11 years ago
Nice try, Cryptic! Laughing
As for smells coming through our computing devices??? Jeez, aren't we going to leave anything for the real world? Rolling Eyes
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Today is the 1st of April / Google Sniffing Day
Jump to