Search Forum

Forum Post Over At "F" Concerning Perfumes For Gay

26 - 50 by 91
11 years ago
There's a new thread gaining steam now, basically many members throwing in against the censorship. This should be a real catalyst, so we may have many new members coming in, some moving and shaking on Fragrantica, or both.
11 years ago
Hopefully enough people are beginning to pay attention that either the admins cannot help but create some structure... or the frustrated members leave and come here instead.
11 years ago
Scarletting:
Hopefully enough people are beginning to pay attention that either the admins cannot help but create some structure... or the frustrated members leave and come here instead.

There were several exodus to here, when in the past the threads got deleted as they are being deleted now. Nothing has changed. And, I suppose, nothing will change.
The Gay & Lesbian perfume preference. 11 years ago
I never saw the original thread, but heard there was not even any arguments going on.

I did comment on other following threads.

I think the censorship is ridiculous over there. The gay and lesbian community members over there are irate over being muzzled.

I don't care if someone posts a topic, what perfume do gays like, or lesbians like, or bisexuals like, or transsexuals like, or hermaphrodites like.

I had a post about what SATANIST women like up for many months and no one cared.

If you allow a to be posted what a straight person thinks is sexy, then you should allow to be posted what a gay person thinks is sexy.

Otherwise you are just supporting bigotry and discrimination arbitrarily.

One lesbian woman was enraged that it was allowed for her to post a topic that asks what perfume her PET likes to smell on her, but it was not allowed to post what perfume her lesbian lover likes to smell on her.

If your computer site security system is so lax that it is easily hacked by a random member of a hate group, then the site has a security problem.

You make the hacker leave and deny membership, don't muzzle and silence the person who wants a discussion about his or her perfume preferences regardless of sexual choice orientation.
NETIQUETTE 11 years ago
Apicius:
Guidelines?

Well, the only guideline that should apply to any community on the net is the general netiquette which basically means that people should treat each other with respect.

Everybody knows what this is and no guideline can be more precise.

I agree. And there are those who will find offense at anything that is publicly discussed, regardless of the degree of courtesy extended to them.

People don't have a right NOT to be offended in a public forum.

If the very idea of the existence of Gays or Lesbians is offensive to someone as well as ALL of their ideas regarding perfume preference, then anyone can complain and find a reason to howl about being offended no matter what is being discussed, even in the most formally courteous terms.

I think to bow to the censorship desires of haters like this is simply to support their hatred and irrational paranoia.

Personally I am a raging Ultra-Liberal Feminist Activist. I should start a thread on what perfumes Extreme Feminist Liberals Like. Is someone going to hack this site and come to beat me to death?

There is a hate group for everything. I'm not bowing to any of them.
11 years ago
florette:
My question for you is Twisted Evil, how pertinent is this topic, in the context of a public perfume forum, given the social and psychological health consequences that may arise from misinformation, amongst other suggestive replies or predatory tactics.

I think mentioning sex in a friendly and approachable manner is more likely to open up educational and frank discussion. You're right that young people are growing up very fast these days but I don't think shielding eyes is going to help much, kids will be curious and the internet makes it all too easy to become misinformed or to develop less than positive ideas regarding body image, sexual pressures during relationships and the like.
Like allowing someone under legal age to sample wine or puff a cigarette, the verboten nature of some topics lends it an alluring mystery that attracts more than diverts attention. Addressing it in a casual but respectful manner is much more constructive, at least in my experience.

Personally I think that if someone is mature enough to appreciate scent to the point that they join Fragrantica, Parfumo or a similar site and happen to wander across people mentioning the word they'd be able to view the conversation with a decent amount of context. The "pantydropper" threads are much more vapid and callous about the objectification of women, men and sex.
11 years ago
Hehe, I like it when you respond in French, I go through your comment and try to understand all of it before translating it to see how much I got correct. It's a fun, casual way to learn!
Thank you! 11 years ago
Apicius:
You made me curious, so I checked that discussion at Fragrantica. Unfortunately the initial thread is gone, but I guess it was something like "What kind of perfume like gay men / lesbian women on another gay man / lesbian woman?"

Well, if they delete threads with lesbian or gay content maybe we should open such a thread at Parfumo then, just to give the Fragranticans an alternative place to go to?
Wink

Seriously: Parfumo will never allow discrimination against lesbians or gays. If anti-gay or anti-lesbian statements should occur I am sure the Parfumo users will step in and say the needful even before the moderators and admins get wind of it.

Excellent! Very Happy
11 years ago
The main recent thread was moved, then closed with a comment. A comment! That's progress. The last lines of it I found most interesting:

"Everybody is free to go to a public place and exercise his/her freedom of expression or start his/her own website and write what ever he/she wants on it."

Let me attempt to translate:

11 years ago
florette:
Scarletting, vous êtes loin de donner ma secrets! Wink

*muah*

See, that time all I got from it was "loin". Wink
11 years ago
No, it's not closed. Another admin added this:

"On a side note: I admire everyone's passion on this topic. I would love to see you all take your passion for this cause and put it to use by donating your time and/or money to the Human Rights Campaign or some local LGBT organization that could surely use your help."

Touche'
11 years ago
Now let their donations begin...and we shall see them put their money where their quarreling was.
11 years ago
Ah, they must have reopened it.
As much as I admire their suggestion (and already do so regularly) I do see that kind of comment quite often on similar causes. My partner would stand behind me and say "what a logical fallacy of relative privation!" Heh.
But, bedtime for me... probably for the best.
Yay for non-censorship 11 years ago
An outspoken lesbian has opened her own thread there. YAY!
They moved one 11 years ago
Well they moved another topic and then made a large apology, citing time constraints and other things. Oh and then they closed that thread.

It seems they get flustered over complaints, but don't consider the source. Oh well. It you get a bunch of shrieking from haters....ignore it. That sends the message that their hate will not be tolerated. Very simple.
11 years ago
I don't often post in threads so I'll start by saying 'hello'.

Well it keeps happening, someone posts something emotive to the more conservative amongst us, opinions are expressed and then the trolls come out to play.

It's happened before on perfume forums, really disgusting homophobic comments being posted. It makes me sick, it really does. But people seem to like this freedom of speech thing, what I would like to say is where is the responsibility of speech? Where is the reasonableness that you would expect from grown adults?

Well it's not there and that's the problem. Sad
11 years ago
There are thousands of people posting over on Fragrantica as opposed to maybe a few hundred (very rough estimate) posting on Parfumo International. I imagine it's more difficult trying to moderate their forums compared to here.

I didn't read the thread in question--it didn't pertain to me or pique my interest. If administration wants to delete any topics I started, I personally don't care. Fragrantica is someone's site (the forums are called a club for a reason) in which their rules must be followed. I don't agree with censorship being questioned because you can practice free speech anywhere else if you so choose...which is probably more effective than on a fragrance discussion forum. It was said time and time again there was no political agenda and I assume there never was. It was just another topic that wasn't agreeable with all members.
11 years ago
Mill4r4:

It's happened before on perfume forums, really disgusting homophobic comments being posted. It makes me sick, it really does. But people seem to like this freedom of speech thing, what I would like to say is where is the responsibility of speech? Where is the reasonableness that you would expect from grown adults?

I like to think that the exceptionally callous and loud bigots are a dying breed and the increasing intensity on forums and social media is their death rattle! While there has been and likely will be people that secretly harbouring disdain for minorities we are making progress, the hateful and fearful are being drowned out and they feel the need to shout in lieu of the flippant mockery of the past.

I take personal joy each time I read of a previously persecuted lifestyle choice gaining understanding within a community, whether it be homosexuality, transgender awareness, mental illness, the disabled, loud rock music, street art... it comes down to people rediscovering that we are all human beings and judging others is not necessary for our own happiness. And it builds upon itself; in my experience happy people tend not to try to rip happiness away from others, most bad blood is bred from bitterness. If we give into the endless cycle we do nothing but harm ourselves and others, by struggling through difficulty with our empathy intact we reclaim our own potential.

Forgive me for the philosophical fapping, the topic is dear to my heart. Just this week I had a long conversation with one of my oldest friends. He finds solace in removing himself from social niceties and refuses to be sympathetic or give way to others as he considers himself a victim of his previous politeness. As someone with a bitter past of my own I was surprised to find myself barracking for genuine optimism and social empathy. It was a real epiphany.
11 years ago
Back to the main topic, further developments today. I feel like making a post on the main forum to say, "Hey, we here at Par fu mo (to get around their stupid censorship) embrace you. You can talk about your perfume here, you won't be asked to hide it away in a private thread at the bottom of the forums page, we won't bow down and remove a topic because some shitheads flagged it."

I'm aware they'd probably ban me for such flagrant recruiting which is not even normally my style... the paper-thin apology from Zoka bothered me. It's good I have to rush to get ready for an appointment now, gives me time to reconsider doing such a thing! It surprises me how few Fragrantica members know about your awesome site here.
26 - 50 by 91
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Forum Post Over At "F" Concerning Perfumes For Gay
Jump to