Search Forum

Life's Proudest Moments. Please Share!

1 - 25 by 60
Life's Proudest Moments. Please Share! 11 years ago
In celebration of Dr. Suess's birthday, my son's school has a read-a-thon. My son's goal is to read at least 120 books to beat last year's winner's record of 113 books, so far he has read 92. This week we had statewide MSA testing but for some reason, my son didn't have to test on Thursday. Instead of testing, he visited the pre-schoolers and read books to them. He said they liked it and invited him back to their classes to read to them again.
Also, he thought of an idea and made the suggestion to his teacher. He proposed that once he reads 100 books, his name is announced over the PA system announcing his accomplishment. His teacher thought it was a good idea and agreed. He is now feverishly trying to read everything in sight!
My little overachiever has done it again, convinced everyone that his little accomplishments merit rewards...
Wish us luck!
11 years ago
Crying or Very sad That's awfully sweet. I sure hope he beats the old record.

I've had a couple of people in my life make it to the top of their respective fields and I've been awfully proud of them. Smile
Motherhood 11 years ago
The proudest moment must have been when I gave birth to my first baby.

First the whole line of months of pregnancy, eating right, watching a movie and during active scenes the lively fetus started kicking, the rented car that needed to be cancelled because on the morning of the trip the water broke one month early, the rushed trip to the hospital, the natural childbirth, and hearing the first cries.

Now, many years (like 35) later, that glow of young motherhood keeps me going when a little argument comes up, here and there, with my adult son.
11 years ago
I'd have to search long and hard because my life has been a low-key one, not big on dramatics. Well, I went to college for the first time when I was older, 29 to mid 30s. I felt so out of it, the students were not very welcoming since I must've seemed like a Mom to them. I was so worried I couldn't compete;I was out of my element, but I maintained a 4.0 GPA, tackled subjects I thought I could never handle, and this brought me a great sense of personal accomplishment. I also tutored these young ingrates in the Humanities--suddenly, "Mom" didn't seem so bad. The arrogance of youth!

That's quite an accomplishment. I was going back to school late in life after my son was born but shortly thereafter I had to quit and focus on him. Some here understand. It was an uphill battle but we won. I think my goal in life was to win that battle, now I know why I was put here. That, I think, was MY greatest accomplishment. I used to be an avid reader but I've slacked off quite a bit since my son was born, I still read, just not as much fiction.
Last edited by Digindirt on 10.03.2013, 22:16; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
DiginDirt, your accomplishment is greater than mine. I had no children, so my path was an easy one compared to yours.

Well, it was hard but believe me, all it took was a little reading, a lot of writing, and steadfast determination to accomplish my goal. Children are a gift, not a burden. I hope I don't get into trouble here by saying this but this gift brings with it unimaginable joys. Everything changes when you have a baby, yes that saying is true. It turns you into this powerful person who can do anything all for the sake of the gift.

I've never had so much fun before I had him, he is a clown He has this quirky personality and a very dry sense of humor. He has a rocker look and he is vain to my surprise! It tickles me to watch him grow up, he is everything I live for.
11 years ago
Oh there have been quite a few proud moments, but the ones that stand out for me... When my son was accepted to (and graduated from) CalArts, and happily realizing he is ten-times the writer I am.
11 years ago
Digindirt,

I love it when you talk about your son. If only the world were filled with parents just like you, what a wonderful world it would be.

And you remind me so much of my own mom.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Digindirt,

I love it when you talk about your son. If only the world were filled with parents just like you, what a wonderful world it would be.

And you remind me so much of my own mom.

What a sweet sweet gesture Dulcemio. I have to talk about him, he's the love of my life. He is all I have in this world that's worth any true value. Thanks for posting.
11 years ago
My son read 145 total, the most books in the entire school. His classmates read 30-40. I asked him why such a huge gap, he said because they are not fast readers. He got his award and trophy last. They had a ceremony in the auditorium. It's funny this morning he said, "Today is the big day." I'm so proud that he is proud of his accomplishment. That little trophy is plastic and fake but he loves it with his whole heart. Money can't buy this stuff folks, priceless.
11 years ago
That's a beautiful story, D., and I'm so glad your son got some well-deserved recognition for his fine accomplishment. Very HappyVery Happy
11 years ago
Dig, I feel the warmth of love when you talk about your son. Hugs.
He knows what he likes 11 years ago
That is sooo nice. Thanks for sharing. I am happy to read that your young son knows what he likes ... reading. This will be a never-ending source of pleasure. Maybe he will start writing, too ? Who knows.

Mom is encouraging, but it is he who does all the actual work, not "work", rather passion.

Good luck. Smile
11 years ago
I was rather proud of myself for avoiding the mall on Sunday. I even went into TJ Maxx and Marshall's but didn't buy one fragrance. Looks like I'm on my way to recovery.
Recovery 11 years ago
"Recovery" - that is a good question. The passion for perfumes is nothing to be ashamed about - to the contrary. Perfumes give us such pleasure.

The pragmatic mind sets in when bills need to be paid.
11 years ago
Yes bills have a way of making one slow their role when they are getting too perfume happy. Good point.
11 years ago
My son is so sweet. One day last week he asked me to find a Magic Shop for him to visit. He likes to learn magic tricks on You Tube. I actually found a store open until 9pm that was close enough for us to visit!
I spent $50 on some trick deck cards, a wand, and some other stuff. This store did not sell toys, it was stuff that real magicians use.
So at the register, my son told me he would pay me back. I reminded him that I wanted him to buy himself something because I always buy myself perfumes but he really has nothing left to buy...he already has everything! (Thank You Santa)
So yesterday, we went to HH Gregg and he found a pair of $15 headphones (his 10th pair). He paid for them with the money I gave him and on the way out the store he says he will earn the money doing chores and pay me back.
Last night, he put away the clothes from the dryer and today I found my underwear in my bra drawer lol. He is such a sweet, selfless, endearing child, I just love him to pieces.
OK I'm done.
11 years ago
Love him to pieces. Smile
11 years ago
What a dollbaby! Let me know if I can borrow him sometime. Smile
11 years ago
Digindirt:
My son is so sweet. One day last week he asked me to find a Magic Shop for him to visit. He likes to learn magic tricks on You Tube. I actually found a store open until 9pm that was close enough for us to visit!
I spent $50 on some trick deck cards, a wand, and some other stuff. This store did not sell toys, it was stuff that real magicians use.
So at the register, my son told me he would pay me back. I reminded him that I wanted him to buy himself something because I always buy myself perfumes but he really has nothing left to buy...he already has everything! (Thank You Santa)
So yesterday, we went to HH Gregg and he found a pair of $15 headphones (his 10th pair). He paid for them with the money I gave him and on the way out the store he says he will earn the money doing chores and pay me back.

Last night, he put away the clothes from the dryer and today I found my underwear in my bra drawer lol. He is such a sweet, selfless, endearing child, I just love him to pieces.
OK I'm done.

Priceless Exclamation
Last edited by Cincy on 27.04.2013, 20:29; edited 2 times in total
11 years ago
Cryptic:
What a dollbaby! Let me know if I can borrow him sometime. Smile

No way Lady!!!
1 - 25 by 60
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Life's Proudest Moments. Please Share!
Jump to