Search Forum

Putting on moisturizer before your fragrance. A Mistake!

Putting on moisturizer before your fragrance. A Mistake! 1 year ago

There is an outcome to this at the bottom with an edit.

So for the first time today i decided to try this as it is said to help with projection and longevity.

I think i have just ruined one of my favorite fragrances by doing this.

Maybe it is the way i done it? Like i got out the shower, shaved and dried off. Then before i went to spray on my YSL Y EDT which i normally love btw, i took some scent free moisturizer from the Simple brand known for having as little additives to their products for people who can have adverse reactions.

Now i am not sure what happened next is due to the moisturizing or that i am simply getting better at telling notes apart and it has caused me to smell certain notes better than others.

I used to find it hard to describe YSL Y, i just knew that i loved it and it smelled richer than some other blues such as Dylan Blue, another blue i love.

I am not a huge fan of the sea salty smelling kind of blues like Versace Man Eau Fraiche or D&G Light Blue Eau Intense. I don't hate them, in fact i think they are great for layering with certain weaker fragrances as they can boost certain notes and make a once terrible performing fragrance become a beast mode but on their own i am starting to get a little fed up of that kind of scent and don't want or feel i need any more of them.

So i had rubbed some lotion in to the areas that i spray on. My neck, front and back, arms/wrist and my chest and i spray my YSL Y and it smells its usual lovely scent i am used to. I put on my jacket and we are in the car and suddenly on the way back home i start to think i can smell one of the 2 oceanic frags i mentioned. Light Blue Eau Intense or Versace Man Eau Fraiche. I think to myself it must be what i wore last time i wore my jacket but surely i would have notice that as soon as i picked the jacket up and put it on way before now right? So, when i get home and take it off i smell under my nice clean brand new T-shirt to smell on my chest the YSL Y as that is usually the bet place to smell a fragrance on me because between the sprays on my chest and the t-shirt its self the scent tends to last longer there but again i am getting what i first perceive as that  oceanic type of blues in Eua Fraiche and Light Blue Eau Intense and start to get confused. Now i am smelling the citrus that is mentioned in the notes for YSL Y but not like i used to. This is more a lemony kind of smell more than anything. I start to think, i got this in a sale last year, a clearance to be precise. Is this the chemical detergent people say is present in the older 2017 bottles that for some reason after a 3rd of the bottle being used that i didn't notice before somehow going bad? 

I don't think it is the jacket. I have not been wearing it for a while and now have removed it from the room.

Could it be that i didn't rub in the moisturizer and let it dry long enough? 

Could it be that using moisturizer makes only certain notes project stronger than others. In this case the citrus?

Or and i really hope it's not this, i have so many fragrances now that i am getting better at distinguishing certain notes from one another and due to thinking about that in the car earlier this is my brain doing so and has me fixated on one note more than the others and it happens to be one i am not enjoying. I mean i can taste at points the Versace Man Eau Fraiche taste with lemon in there that you get from that fragrance but i have not used that for about a week on any of the clothes i am wearing or is in my proximity. 

So why? Why now after loving this scent for so long am i suddenly smelling it like it is an oceanic light blue kind of fragrance rather than the nicely blended rich smell of something like Dylan Blue for example? I love that kind of Blue over the Eau Fraiche and Light Blue, blue frags and if i lose this to another of those due to developing better note recognition i am going to be so gutted! 

EDIT: So, after a while of that weird lemony smell YSL Y EDT eventually moved back in to it's usual scent that i know and love it for. This had to have been the moisturizer not allowing one of the notes to dry down along with the other notes at the rate they should have. I wont lie and say the longevity wasn't increased as it really was. However i had to endure a stage where it smelled horrible for a while and imo is no worth the extra few hours as i like it for it's scent. One of two things has been learned here. 1. I didn't give the moisturizer enough time before applying the juice or 2. YSL Y EDT has been made in a way that the notes must dry down together all at the same rate otherwise the above outcome is inevitable and this can not have it's longevity increased by using moisturizer at all because it disrupts the dry down rare for certain notes and not all of them. Hopefully it's number 1.

Applying moisturizer 1 year ago 2

I do that too, before applying fragrance. Not so much to prolong the lifespan of the fragrance but simply because it's good for my skin. I'm 49 and skincare is important, also for men.

It's usually about 5 minutes later I apply fragrance. I moisturize chest, shoulders, arms, back, legs. Then I use my facial cream for the face and then I apply fragrance. 

It's been working well like that. I use lotion and moisturizer with zero or very little fragrance.

Re: Applying moisturizer 1 year ago
Jacobtf

I do that too, before applying fragrance. Not so much to prolong the lifespan of the fragrance but simply because it's good for my skin. I'm 49 and skincare is important, also for men.

It's usually about 5 minutes later I apply fragrance. I moisturize chest, shoulders, arms, back, legs. Then I use my facial cream for the face and then I apply fragrance. 

It's been working well like that. I use lotion and moisturizer with zero or very little fragrance.

Ah, i don't think i even waited five minutes. I often moisturize after a shower and a shave also. 

I will give it another go with another fragrance but give the moisturizer more time to settle instead of right away and with a fragrance that i know the smell of  so i can tell if there has been a change to it. It could also be a problem with my PH levels that i didn't think of before. My testosterone levels are unbalanced at the moment so maybe that had something to do with it.

1 year ago 2

You put moisturizer onto the perfume? I wouldn't. I would apply moisturizer, let it sink in well enough so it won't mix too much with the perfume applied thereafter. 

Also I wouldn't expect enhanced projection but rather enhanced longevity.

1 year ago
DieNase

You put moisturizer onto the perfume? I wouldn't. I would apply moisturizer, let it sink in well enough so it won't mix too much with the perfume applied thereafter. 

Also I wouldn't expect enhanced projection but rather enhanced longevity.

Oh no i put on the moisturizer first. 

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Putting on moisturizer before your fragrance. A Mistake!
Jump to