Search Forum

As Requested...Mike's Streaming TV Thread

As Requested...Mike's Streaming TV Thread 11 years ago
I ditched cable back in 2007 when Comcast ticked me off by removing channels and offering to sell them back. I set up an outdoor TV antenna and never looked back. Anything else, I watched my DVD player.

Recently, I got curious about Netflix streaming. I did a trial on my computer and it was pretty cool, although I missed being able to watch stuff on my living room TV. I started searching, and updating my tech knowledge.

I found our there are several ways to do streaming TV. One is with Apple TV...expensive...a little too expensive for my tastes. Another is via a Playstation or Wii...again, expensive, and I don't do games. Other possibilities include "smart" tvs with wi fi, or blu ray players with the same capabilities. Again, a bust for me. My non-smart, non-HD standard tube television has lots of life left in it, and I don't really care to upgrade (AGAIN) my video collection. So, I started searching for a cheaper solution.

Enter the Roku streaming box. I bought the Roku LT for $50 through Amazon.com. It's not a hi def box but I don't care. I also subscribed to Amazon Prime, a $79/year subscription that lets me get free 2 day shipping on qualified items, and thousands of free "Prime" tv shows and movies with unlimited streaming.

The Roku was a cheap and fun option for me. To use it, you do have to have wi-fi enabled on your home internet connection. Once that is done, it's a snap to set up....it has very simple wizards to talk you through. Only disadvantage is if your computer happens to be in the other room...you have to wander back and forth to give the activation codes for Roku and Netflix, Amazon, etc....to all communicate. However, that is a one-time operation.

The remote looks like a very stripped down DVD remote. It's very simple to use, and works smoothly with the box. They also have an Android app (iPhone too I think) that allows you to use your smart phone as a Roku remote. It has a couple of additional nifty features that make it a little more fun than the bare bones remote.

Overall, picture quality is quite decent and it's easy to use. Occasionally the box will hang on Amazon Instant Video or Netflix...if it locks up tight, just pull the plug, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. It will reboot no harm done.

Channel selection is awesome. In addition to Netflix, there is Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, and a ton of others, like VEVO, Popcorn Flix, etc...too many to list at the Roku Channel Store. In addition to that, there are private and beta channels with all kinds of content. I personally use the Amazon and Netflix most. Along with Twonky Beam....a program that lets me "beam" Youtube and Vimeo videos to my Roku. They used to have Videobuzz (private channel) that did that but Google sent them a shutdown notice. Sad

Overall, it's a great and cheap way to go for tv. I spend around $15 a month for Amazon and Netflix, and get a ton of programming. Occasionally, I will buy a series from Amazon that's not included with Prime, but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than cable.

That's the lowdown on it. If you want to post questions, I will answer them the best I can from what knowledge I have.
11 years ago
Oooh, this is good to know! Now all I have to do is figure out what messed up my household wi-fi... Sad
11 years ago
Thanks Mike, is that ok to call you Mike Confused: Will have Mr. Cincy to read this. Cool
11 years ago
Sounds good but I never watch TV so maybe I'll get me a Roku box when I retire.
11 years ago
I've never been much of a cable/satellite watcher. I have cable but only because it's part of the internet package and pretty much costs $5 a month more than just the internet alone. I use Netflix and Youtube through a Blu-Ray player and my PS3. The Blu-Ray player is basically the same thing as a Roku player except with a DVD player capability. And I don't have a fancy TV for it.

I was considering getting my parents a Roku so they can get rid of their satellite dish. But my dad is partial to the Golf Channel so I dropped that idea.

The only downside of Netflix is they take down movies and shows from time to time, or they are only available for a limited amount of time. Not a huge deal though.
11 years ago
Cincy:
Thanks Mike, is that ok to call you Mike Confused: Will have Mr. Cincy to read this. Cool

It is more than fine to call me Mike! Smile
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic As Requested...Mike's Streaming TV Thread
Jump to