Search Forum

Molton Brown

Molton Brown 11 years ago
I have been introduced to Molton Brown Apuldre recently and am quite smitten with it. I have been trying not to pull the trigger since this is the first fragrance of this line I have tested but I like it a lot!

Who here has tried others from this line? There appear to be a series or a themed set of fragrances in this line similar to other houses but Im in no position to buy one of each.

Any input would be great!
11 years ago
I have tried the "Black Pepper" recharging fragrance and I almost bought it even though it is on the masculine side, it is soooo fresh and warming. Rich, spice, to my nose not overkill on the black pepper, but also a decent amount of ginger, coriander, bergamot and some oakmoss and other good stuff. Other than that I have only tried the "Intoxicating Davana" fragrance and I returned it immediately, it was a headache-inducing very loud and screechy white flower on me. I keep seeing the "Bracing Silver Birch" cologne on sale deeply discounted, but no tester- I might just pick it up since I love nutmeg, cardamom and jasmine. Goodluck!
11 years ago
Thanks much. Where did you find the discount?
11 years ago
TJ MAXX - Where I live that's it for the occasional deal. I think they didn't know what Molton Brown was or where it should go so they just through several bottles on the clearance shelf for 15 bucks each. That is how I got a full size 3.3 oz bottle of Penhaligon's Violetta for 30 bucks once. They just don't really know what's going on...
11 years ago
Hi Digindirt,

I am also quite in love with Apuldre (pronounced "apple door" according to their website) and the other Molton Browns. Apuldre is part of the Navigations Through Scent series (very nice bottles!). I think there are eight different ones, although the dedicated site features only five, which I find really strange:
- Apuldre
- Iunu
- Mahina
- Lijiang
- Rogart
- Londinium
- Valbonne
- Singosari

At the store where I have tried them (Douglas flagship store in Vienna, Austria), they had all but one, I think. The only one I couldn't find was Londinium, which is a shame... All I can say is that all of them were really great with Apuldre being my favourite one. I went back yesterday to try it again specifically, and this time I compared it side-by-side with Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis, which is a totally different scent (oriental), but very good, exceptional even (it's very similar to Amber Mystique by Estee Lauder, and possibly even more so, Wood Mystique, as I have read). So it was interesting to see which one would "win" the battle. Smile I have to say, Apuldre won! But at the same time I started realising that it was very similar to what I remember Amazingreen to be like (would be interesting to compare the two), and I found Amazingreen to be the better one, at least as far as intensity and originality go. I don't know how to describe it, but Amazingreen "radiates" more? I still like Apuldre very much and might be thinking about purchasing a bottle, we will see (perhaps depends on how it performs next to Amazingreen).

As to the other scents from this series, all of the ones I tried are very, very good. The intensity varies, though. Unfortunately, Apuldre is the lightest one. Some ot the other ones are really strong by comparison.

Apart from Apuldre, I can imagine wearing Lijiang. It's a beautiful green-tea scent with something else which I can't identify (flowers?).

Rogart is really special: I found it to be, at the same time, creamy and tangy!

The other ones were really interesting as well, only not really something I could wear. It would be good to try them again, though.

The best thing about the fragrances was how beautifully they changed, and how wonderful they were during all the stages of the process. I also like the "vibe" they give off: it's intelligent, a bit reserved, but you can feel the person wearing them is a hedonist at heart.
11 years ago
Thanks Blumenbut for your detailed assessment. Hmmm, I'm in love with Apuldre but I do prefer fragrances on the strong side.

I think I should probably wait until I am able to test a few more before I jump two feet in.
11 years ago
Flavorite:
TJ MAXX - Where I live that's it for the occasional deal. I think they didn't know what Molton Brown was or where it should go so they just through several bottles on the clearance shelf for 15 bucks each. That is how I got a full size 3.3 oz bottle of Penhaligon's Violetta for 30 bucks once. They just don't really know what's going on...

Oh yes I saw the Penhaligons there, bought 3 bottles at $30 but returned them. When I went back, the Penhaligons were marked down to $20!
Notify about new comments
Jump to