Search Forum

Basenotes/Parfumo Comparison

76 - 100 by 120
10 years ago
The thing is that each website develops a climate, people get to know each other and write how they feel.

So, one BN comment was that on the German site (www.parfumo.de) the perfume reviews are stories of fantasy land. That is true, I noticed that too. Poems ... long stories. Well, German members write how their heart felt, straight from the long history from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. That does not surprise me. But, those are cultural differences, and those make a virtual area like a panorama - or a caleidoscope - or a tapestry.
10 years ago
Pipette:
The thing is that each website develops a climate, people get to know each other and write how they feel.

So, one BN comment was that on the German site (www.parfumo.de) the perfume reviews are stories of fantasy land. That is true, I noticed that too. Poems ... long stories. Well, German members write how their heart felt, straight from the long history from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. That does not surprise me. But, those are cultural differences, and those make a virtual area like a panorama - or a caleidoscope - or a tapestry.

Funny thought that the writing style of the German Parfumo users somehow came down to them from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Laughing

I wouldn't mind if this was just the case!

Seriously, I am glad that so many people take the effort to sit down, think about what they smell and then give a well thought out account in their own words.
10 years ago
Heart-felt reviews, that is what I like reading.
10 years ago
I chuckled a few times when I was reading some of the comments on BN, as it reminded me of the perpetual Mac vs Windows vs Linux debate (which I get to hear a lot). "Why Windows is, and always will be, better than Mac", and so on.

There is clearly a place under the sun for all of these sites, and people will naturally gravitate to the place they like best. Parfumo's got great contributors whose reviews are a pleasure to read, even more so because of the elegant, clean and tasteful design of the site.

The Basenotes forum, on the other hand, is the best platform for young people to socialize and learn about perfume. Great archives, too.

Now, what I really want to find is those long and poetic German reviews Wink
10 years ago
To me, BN is no longer "the place" to go for reviews. It's "okay", but nothing more than that.

What they do have is non-stop banter on the forums. There is pertinent information to be had with this process and one can either "participate" in it or lurk and still get the info needed.

It can become redundant, but I suppose that's the trade off. I'm glad they are in existence as I learned there, but like some others, it was time I moved on and I landed here at parfumo. Others will never leave there due to a sense of loyalty.

I have never regretted the choice to participate here. I prefer everything about this site over the others.
10 years ago
AromiErotici:
What they do have is non-stop banter on the forums.
(...)
It can become redundant, but I suppose that's the trade off.

I agree. The bigger a community gets the more redundancies happen.

I think serious discussions and mere banter both have their rightful place in a perfume forum as people are looking for both. In the end, it is a question of how the forum is organised so everybody can easily participate in whatever topic he or she is interested in.

It is an open question for me. At the moment, we simply let things go in the Parfumo forum and see what's happening. And it works out!

But I can also imagine a form of moderation where a small team gets together on a regular basis for brainstorming about new and interesting topics which are then suggested to the community. This would be a more active approach.

Well - maybe eventually in the future!
10 years ago
What sets Parfumo apart from the two other big sites is the organized effort to supply perfume input into the Databank.

All members can participate by simply filling out a well designed Form.

This concentrated effort is not there on neither BN nor Frag.

The crowd is diverse but spends their main purpose on reading or posting on the Forum boards. Clever continuous banter on BN and repetitious talk on Frag.

A good feature that Fragrantica has - is the visual show of NOTES on the Perfume Page, and members vote and the input is showing.

A good feature that Basenotes has - is that at the very bottom of a topic page, the computer has spit out similar topics from the past, so that one can go there and further get information.

I have suggested - naively - to Basenotes to confer with other website colleagues regarding Server trouble and configurations, but commercial problems, ego problems or something else may be in the way of exchanging computer know-how.
10 years ago
Pipette:
I have suggested - naively - to Basenotes to confer with other website colleagues regarding Server trouble and configurations, but commercial problems, ego problems or something else may be in the way of exchanging computer know-how.

Don occasionally gave a hint about some technical problem in the BN forum in order to fix a glitch. However, he was never asked for support which I believe he would have gladly provided.
10 years ago
Thas is what I meant. Of course, a consultant could be paid for the knowledge. Just put the heads together and get the show rolling.
10 years ago
Okay.......we can't be outdone here at parfumo.

WHO.........is going to step up and BUY a perfume house???? Smile
10 years ago
Apicius:
... a small team gets together on a regular basis for brainstorming about new and interesting topics which are then suggested to the community.

That's a great idea.
10 years ago
AromiErotici:

Do the banks give out loans for such a venture? Idea
10 years ago
Hayven:
AromiErotici:

Do the banks give out loans for such a venture? Idea

Not mine.....that's for sure.......
10 years ago
Does a Etsy perfume house count. Laughing I may be able to swing it. Rolling Eyes
10 years ago
10 years ago
That does not surprise me. It is a large group - banter can easily get derailed.

I finally asked, "And the winner is?" like, pass the envelope, please, and let us know!

Now the thread is closed. It is always good when Management steps in before the crowd gets unruly and then drama is next ...
10 years ago
Unfortunate that "management" started the thread in the first place.....
10 years ago
Unfortunate? Well, it was a joking matter.

Since the Perfume House INDULT got publicity in this manner, it would be nice if they offered samples to the Basenoters.

Add some spice to the virtual world. Make it more real. Because all it is in the virtual world, on Basenotes, Fragrantica, Parfumo, or elsewhere ... is chatter.
Last edited by Pipette on 10.01.2014, 23:01; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
What......was a joking matter? Starting a thread that was destined to blow up quickly with responses.........or passively promoting a house and new ownership?
10 years ago
AromiErotici:
What......was a joking matter? Starting a thread that was destined to blow up quickly with responses.........or passively promoting a house and new ownership?

I don't know. Was there a hidden agenda? I have not been on Basenotes long enough to guess at the intentions with which a thread is started.

I found it entertaining ... until it got out of hand.
10 years ago
Off Topic -

Whoever runs a website is hard pressed how to maintain the "climate". Most of the members want "bread and circus games". The crowd changes and evolves.

Virtual conversations are only in virtual space. No real contact. So, forgetting the so-called Netiquette, the crowd can easily wind up with drama.

Moderators then step in.

Still Off Topic -

On the German site, a member regretted about not having the pleasure to see members remain on board, those who silently - after a while - stop posting.

Another member said, some people are creating a "fake" world for themselves on internet boards, and if ever they meet face-to-face, reality sets in and cannot hold the image.

Therefore, I want to make the point that people will automatically gather where they like it.
10 years ago
Off topic or are you rambling, Pipette? Rolling Eyes
10 years ago
Cincy:
Off topic or are you rambling, Pipette? Rolling Eyes

Rambling with a few morsels of truth. I will now shut up.
10 years ago
LaughingLaughingLaughing
10 years ago
Whatever happened to the BN'er who purchased Indult? Did they ever reveal who it was?
76 - 100 by 120
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Basenotes/Parfumo Comparison
Jump to