Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

3351 - 3375 by 4531
10 years ago
SystemeD, I'm really not sure but maybe "Pivoine" by Yves Rocher.
10 years ago
"Orchidee" by Yves Rocher
10 years ago
Hey guys, aren't these words supposed to rhyme?
10 years ago
Triffid:

They rhyme in French.
10 years ago
Flaconneur:
"Orchidee" by Yves Rocher

And this is the answer!
Well done, Flaconneur!
10 years ago
Flaconneur:
Triffid:

They rhyme in French.

Ah, foreign pronunciations are not my strength...
If Yves is the man (why could I not find reference to his haemorrhoid cream days in his bio) then I'm going with "Pur Desir de Fleur d'Oranger".
10 years ago
I'm certainly no Triffid but here goes…

"From an early age, " the young boy said
His mother would pour it on his head
It smelled of citrus and some flowers
Its recipe was of chypre power
10 years ago
I have two contenders:
"Eau Maman Et Bebe / Mom and Baby Water" by L'Occitane, but if there's chypre power and 'an early age' perhaps one of the "Green Water" issues by Jacques Fath?
10 years ago
Triffid:
I have two contenders:
"Eau Maman Et Bebe / Mom and Baby Water" by L'Occitane, but if there's chypre power and 'an early age' perhaps one of the "Green Water" issues by Jacques Fath?

Both guesses are incorrect. Sorry, Triffid.
10 years ago
How about "1826 - Eugenie de Montijo" by Histories de Parfums?
10 years ago
Triffid:
How about "1826 - Eugenie de Montijo" by Histories de Parfums?

No, Triffid. Sorry.
10 years ago
I guess it's time for another clue.

1. "From an early age, " the young boy said
His mother would pour it on his head
It smelled of citrus and some flowers
Its recipe was of chypre power

2. The many printed advertisement for this perfume contained copious amount of terry.
10 years ago
Is there anyone out thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
10 years ago
Just me I think, Flaconneur. Look, I've been working on this tirelessly since your last clue. I have lots of ideas but am somewhat discouraged by my previous epic fails.
If 'terry' means terry towelling, as in bathrobes, towels and the like, well there are plenty of Eau Sauvage ads that fit that description but don't really line up with the other clues. Young babes cuddled in towels being sluiced with bathwater? Someone called Terry in the ads? A Greek legend of some sort (early age + chypre=Cyprus).
Trying not to overthink it but the alternative seems to be to not think at all....
10 years ago
Triffid:
Just me I think, Flaconneur. Look, I've been working on this tirelessly since your last clue. I have lots of ideas but am somewhat discouraged by my previous epic fails.
If 'terry' means terry towelling, as in bathrobes, towels and the like, well there are plenty of Eau Sauvage ads that fit that description but don't really line up with the other clues. Young babes cuddled in towels being sluiced with bathwater? Someone called Terry in the ads? A Greek legend of some sort (early age + chypre=Cyprus).
Trying not to over think it but the alternative seems to be to not think at all....

So, Triffid, was "Eau Sauvage" by Dior your guess?
10 years ago
If you like.....
10 years ago
Triffid:
If you like…..

Congrats, Triffid. You are correct.

Now to explain the "poem." Frédéric Malle made mention in an interview that at the age of five, he remember wearing "Eau Sauvage". His mother was the art director for Dior and his grandfather the founder. His mother helped with the creation of "Eau Sauvage" which was based on the classic chypre foundation.
10 years ago
Ohhh....the penny is dropping (slowly).
You'll think I'm making this up to justify my ignorance, but truly, I half remember reading this story about Eau Sauvage but I couldn't remember the details - possibly it was on Malle's website or in an interview - and so I looked up Christian Dior's early life and, not surprisingly, couldn't make the connection. Then I started thinking it must have been a Parfumo member's story that I'd read.
To add to my ignorance, I was erroneously thinking of Eau Sauvage as a fougere, not a chypre, and also didn't bother to translate the name, which might have helped (in my mind I think of it as 'Oh, Savage!' instead of 'wild water'). Derrr....

Well, I'm glad that's done. Here is my offering in return (which you will no doubt guess in 5 minutes)

Another place name fragrance,
A place of dust and heat,
Unlikely you'd smell perfume
On the locals that you meet;

If perfume could be golden,
Combined with sweat and grit,
Unquestionably earthy,
Then this one would be it;

The place you'll find this perfume
Is the country of the brand,
Their inspiration could be
That they share a wide, brown land.
10 years ago
Another clue is needed?
So this one I'll submit,
A deep and golden aura
Surrounds the super pit.
10 years ago
Grand Canyon, by Soivohle?
10 years ago
No that's not it SystemeD but I appreciate the response.
One helpful clue might be the last three words of the third stanza (famous words to local citizens).
Other key words: 'golden' and 'super pit'.
10 years ago
Ah, given those hints, I venture this guess:
Kalgoorlie, by Bud Parfums?
10 years ago
Coming from a land down under, I second Kalgoorlie! Yes yes.
10 years ago
Yes indeed S! Good job.
Sorry, I thought it was too easy so left out the Super Pit reference. I guess the 'wide, brown land' line from Dorothea Mackellar's poem is only instantly recognisable in this country, although Google recognises it.
The Kalgoorlie Super Pit is the 10th largest gold mine in the world and the largest in Oz (yes, it's quite hideous). Never been there but it's a big mining town in the middle of nowhere and well known downunder.
Over to you...
10 years ago
The house:

The fragrance:
3351 - 3375 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to