Search Forum

Good Old Homespun Beauty Tips

26 - 34 by 34
11 years ago
Wow some great stuff, FloraM. and Tinctureall!

Well, I started making my own deodorant several months ago and wanted to test it in different conditions before sharing. So far it survived both the gym and 100+ (30+ Celsius) degrees heat.

Store-bought deo and especially antiperspirant is not a good idea if one has a history of breast problems, and even if one doesn't, why risk?

Anyway. What is needed is baking soda, cornstarch, cocoa butter and a terpene-rich essential oil (tea tree, lavender). Mix 1/4 cup soda with 1/4 cup starch. Add several drops of the oil. It's also good to squeeze a couple Vitamin E capsules in. Then add the cocoa butter until the consistency looks like the goo in the picture. You can also add a little oil of your liking to perfume it (NOT clove or cinnamon of course) but I find that the combo of cocoa and lavender smells good on its own.
This goo will solidify considerably within 36-48 hours, so it's best to put it in an empty stick deodorant container.
11 years ago
CC sounds good, How long would this stay fresh since you are not using a preserative?
11 years ago
Apparently the tea tree oil is supposed to keep it fresh for quite some time.I've had mine for three months now and so far no signs of going bad. I do keep it in the fridge though.

A little addendum: those with very sensitive skin should tweak the ratio of soda to starch, approx 2/3 starch + 1/3 baking soda.
10 years ago
I can vouch for the olive oil scalp treatment! I haven't tried the brandy trick, though -- will do soon as I get some brandy! Very Happy

Coconut oil is also good for your hair as a deep treatment or a leave-in, but you need to work out just how much you need for your hair length and texture because too much can make your hair look dirty. I am now combining oils with some store-bought leave-in treatments for my hair and I like the results very much!
10 years ago
Coconut oil is one of nature's miracles. It even cures rashes.

I use aloe vera gel as a daytime moisturizer.
10 years ago
Jojoba oil is wonderful for removing eye makeup.

I also use it on my face. It doesn't clog pores like coconut oil can.
10 years ago
I use Jojoba oil too.
10 years ago
Speaking of oils, one of the weirdest and most effective pieces of advice I had been given during my battle with acne as a teenager, was to use warm olive oil as a nightly treatment. The oil was to be warmed on a steam bath until I could barely immerse my finger in it and then I would dab a cotton ball in it and apply it all over my freshly washed and dried face in a makeup-removing-like motion. Apparently it doesn't clog the pores either and also heals the acne. It actually did work.

One other thing I did at that time was a weekly facial mask made of finely ground oatmeal with enough lukewarm water to make it into a spreadable paste, and half a clove of squished garlic. It was quite smelly though, so I only did it when I could stay home all day.

By the way, if anyone has pore-diminishing tricks down your sleeve, bring'em on!
10 years ago
I love using natural oils on my face at night. I've experimented with quite a few-jojoba, coconut,grapeseed, and almond. I've found almond to be the most beneficial when used in moderation as a light serum. Coconut works best as a hair conditioner, jojoba for removing makeup and grapeseed as a moisturizer for my body.Vitamin C crystals when mixed with yogurt make an excellent night mask, also. You can also make your own home-made serum.
26 - 34 by 34
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Good Old Homespun Beauty Tips
Jump to