10 years ago
Vega.

As in Guerlain.

As in α Lyrae.

As in 1970.

As in Suzanne.
10 years ago
Hmmmm. Could it be... Guerlain's Vega?

Oops Gothic Heart beat me to it, drat!!!!!!!!!! I was tryin to attach a pic, but don't know how to lol Confused

According to a reviewer on this site, "Vega" is the 5th brightest star in the sky. Who knew?! (not me)
10 years ago
Pandasmom, somewhere in the "Off Topic" forum is a tutorial on how to attach photos. Lots of people have difficulty with it in the beginning. It just takes a bit of practice.

GothicHeart, what took you so long? #kidding Bravo!
10 years ago
Oh really? Thanks Cryptic, I'm a nube. haha Laughing
10 years ago
Cryptic:
Morse code would not stop Triffid, but Greek would slow us all down. You could give that a try. Idea

Ωραία ιδέα Cryptic! Λοιπόν, σαν ένας σκληραγωγημένος βετεράνος, ο οποίος έχει επιτύχει την σχεδόν απίστευτη επίδοση των 10 αναρτήσεων σ'ένα νήμα 152 σελίδων, νομίζω ότι το να παραχωρήσω την σειρά μου σε μία πρωτόπειρη, η οποία μπερδεύτηκε από τον τρόπο λειτουργίας τού ιστοτόπου, θα ήταν το πιο σωστό.

And just in case Greek characters cannot be displayed...

10 years ago
Now, before it's too late to avoid excessive use of aspirin between "Guess that scent" hounds, that's all (s)he wrote...

Great idea Cryptic! However, as a seasoned veteran who has achieved this hard to believe ratio of 10 posts in a 152 pages thread, I think that conceding my turn to a novice beaten by tricky mechanics, would be the right thing to do.

Well Pandasmom?...

(This does not apply to Cryptic, who, besides being a nice idea provider, is also a fast shooter.)
10 years ago
I'm just reading this (been out all day) GothicHeart danke schoen for conceding to this newbie. I guess I will have to wrack my little grey cells for a minute (or two) lol

Btw, where'd the idea to write in Greek come from? That was interesting, to say the least!
10 years ago
Alright, here goes nothing.

What fragrance was created in honor of the 40th wedding anniversary of an American "queen"?

Hope this one isn't too easy for you all. *crosses fingers*
10 years ago
Kinda confusing this one... Well, if a First Lady can be considered a "queen" and both parts of this wedding being alive is not a prerequisite, then Creed's "Love in Black" was created in 2008 to commemorate Jackie O's 40th wedding anniversary to her second husband, Aristotle Onassis, whom she married in 1968.

As for the idea to write in Greek, it came from this

Cryptic:
Morse code would not stop Triffid, but Greek would slow us all down. You could give that a try. Idea

and from me being Greek...
10 years ago
I see. (about the Greek script) My mother is from Greek stock on her father's side, but everybody has been Anglicized sadly & cannot read or speak it fluently.

As for the fragrance, you are quite correct. It is indeed
Just as I thought, too easy for Sir GothicHeart. Good thing I did not include any other details, such as "was launched posthumously" or something along those lines or you would've solved it even more quickly! lol Razz
(I wonder if the Greek language subconsciously made me think of Jackie O? Stranger things have happened)

You're up.
10 years ago
Pandasmom:
My mother is from Greek stock on her father's side, but everybody has been Anglicized sadly & cannot read or speak it fluently.

Well, HELLO ¼ (if I got it right) compatriot!

This next one is silly, but I'm always much less of a "poet" at the end of the month...

Now, tell me what would be her name, if Brits' most famed commander
thought it was time to settle down and married her, his boss
and so, for her to be a wife, but not one who is under,
her husband's first and middle name she now has to toss...
10 years ago
My first thought was Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, which would make the most likely boss/wife Queen Anne. But I can't find anything that particularly matches that.
I think a part of the clue here is that she has to toss both his first and middle names... many of the most lauded British commanders didn't have middle names. Narrows it down a bit, or perhaps moves the time bracker forward to when middle names were more common?
Would love to look further, but I'm already procrastinating regarding an appointment!
10 years ago
I'm done with British military history, perhaps overthinking it, so here is my best guess:
"My Queen" by Alexander McQueen, based on the union of Field Marshal Harold Rupert Alexander (he had a few more middle names than this) and Queen Elizabeth II. If they married, she would not be Mrs Alexander, rather she'd still be 'my queen'.
10 years ago
Well, the riddle is either sillier or more difficult than I thought in the first place...

Scarletting, I suppose you were talking about John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, whose title was created by Queen Anne and not about Winston.

Triffid, your approach was quite innovating and out of the box, but Queen Elizabeth II was never actually Alexander's boss, at least not with him being any kind of commander, as he resigned from the army in 1946, while the Queen was coronated in 1953.

So, since I think I'll go with "sillier", here's some help...

1) This commander can be also spelled with a capital C, because commander is actually the rank he holds.

2) Both possible spouses are fictitious.

3) The lady's supposed name would be the exact name of the fragrance.

4) Neither his nor her name (the ones needed to solve the puzzle) are names literally. They both do have real names and although the Commander's is extremely famous for many years, hers was virtually unknown until recently.

5) She was his boss for just six years. Before her all his bosses were men. His current boss is also a man.
10 years ago
Okay. You probably should have let us know these were fictitious characters.

James Bond, who was in the books a Commander, has no middle name. Either way that makes his boss M, there's no other female "boss" I can think of him ever having besides the Queen, but he has served the Queen for more than 6 years. However in the books, M is actually male, so I'm assuming this is all about the films.
In the films they hint that M's name is Olivia Mansfield, but nothing in the database matches any iteration, nor Olivia Bond, and searching just for M Bond brings up endless Bond No.9 perfumes, none of which fit. In the books, the male M's name is Miles, and that doesn't work either.
And unfortunately searching for plain 007 brings up a tonne of perfume release years.
10 years ago
Oh Scarletting, you're SO close! Now, try to imagine Commander Bond's other way (could it be called an alias?) by which he's also very famous as a full name, and apply the tossing thing on it. I told you it was a silly one...
10 years ago
You mean his alias, 007? So she's M7. Hah. "M7". Yeah, when you said names I was envisioning words, not numbers. That's cute though. Smile
10 years ago
Have a martini Scarletting! Oh, and buy us the next round. Shaken, not stirred.

10 years ago
With all due respect, WTF! Are you kidding me? It was based off of fictitious characters. You messed with my head dude! I'm 1/4 of the way to earning a degree in British military history & then I find out these ppl never even existed! lol Thanks for the education anyway

In my search I learned about Horatio Nelson and his wife/mistress (most famous one haha), The Dukes of Wellington and Marlborough, Winston Churchill and wife & many, many others! Razz
10 years ago
A little bit of fun:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws

You may think me careless, but a glance back in time will reveal only one answer matches both song and perfume.
10 years ago
"Giorgio for Men" by Giorgio Beverley Hills?
The song is originally by George Michael (real name Giorgios) from 1984. Giorgio for Men was also released in 1984.
George Michael was (much later) also famously arrested in Beverley Hills for rather carelessly engaging in a 'lewd act'.
10 years ago
Oh, that's quite clever Triffid, but not the perfume I had in mind. In hindsight I should have possibly chosen that fragrance instead, but I didn't know GM's first name was Georgios! But you are on the right track with 1984.
10 years ago
George Michael's full name is Γεώργιος Κυριάκος Παναγιώτου/Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou, a Greek one, as his father is from Cyprus. If he was Italian, his name would have been Giorgio Domenico di Madonna, a totally artistic one...

As for the clue, could it be Whisper of Musk by Jovan? Whisper matches the song and Musk matches perfume.
10 years ago
Indeed it is Whisper of Musk, and you'll notice the release of that fragrance also matches the song's year. (The time/year hint was supposed to rule out the other results of a search using the word whisper.)
10 years ago
Well, after the terrible mess my latest clue induced (although guys like 007 are all about chaos and confusion, that's what they do), here's an easier one...

She wears six veils of baby blue and although she's so cunning,
she wears a carmine dunce cap too. A duckling was her ma.
She came some 30 years ago. Still here and she's still "running".
And when they knock and call her name, she answers: "Oui, c'est moi"...
3776 - 3800 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to