Search Forum

Anyone watching "Spiral" or "Le juge est une

Anyone watching "Spiral" or "Le juge est une 11 years ago
"Spiral" is the French TV series "Engrenages".

www.imdb.com/title/tt0477507/

Once you start watching it, possibly on Netflix, you will be hooked. Deep in the crime underbelly of Paris, action, action!

The show twists and turns during 4 seasons, the 5th being filmed right now, to be finished at the end of 2014.

Je ne peux pas attendre!
Last edited by Pipette on 01.05.2014, 02:46; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Nope, I'm watching Person Of Interest.

How is Spiral/Engrenages compared to other crime shows? I was wondering about Netflix, since it's new over here. Do you like it?
11 years ago
''Person Of Interest'' is one of my favorites too.
You can take a look at these (If they are not in your radar already):

Luther
Sherlock
Jo
... All three are in a European style, a little darker, excellent screen presence of actors.
Castle
Elementary
- The character development, the dialogue, the story, the acting, not the least - the humor... due to all this - its worth a look.
Homeland
- Basically - a psychological thriller about the choices we make, so far refrained from impose a opinion for right-wrong.

Suits
''It is not at all a typical lawyer show. It is about people who all do what they think is best, and sometimes there can be more than one right side to an issue. SUITS operates in shades of grey and in nuance, rather than broad strokes or permanent us versus them labels. "Suits" is slickly made with compelling characters and sharp dialogue.''
New shows, that look promising for now:
Sleepy Hollow
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Smile
11 years ago
Sleuth:
Nope, I'm watching Person Of Interest.

How is Spiral/Engrenages compared to other crime shows? I was wondering about Netflix, since it's new over here. Do you like it?

Netflix is a streaming service of movies or DVD in their inventories. You open an account and get billed monthly on your credit card. $7.99/per month for movies, more for DVD. You have a vast supply and establish a profile by watching, and get suggestions.
Since I am practicing my French by watching their movies with subtitles, I came across Spiral (Engrenages)

The characters are well described, the police team works together, none of them are perfect. The "bad guys" are drug trafficking or hoarding weapons. The show rolls on for four seasons. Good photography - pretty much in greys - close-up of the faces where every thought can be read and interpreted. Good tempo of the action.
10 years ago
I watched it. It hurt me again to see the corruption in the judicial system in my old country and it is so true!
10 years ago
I tried to get into it, but just couldn't. Sad

A TV show that I absolutely adore and have just finished watching the second season is The Bridge (the Danish/Swedish original version not the US remake). The first season is available on Netflix.

10 years ago
Well, I am watching Spiral to keep up my French. The same episodes over and over - and over - again. This is the accent Parisien. It is French normally spoken.

OFF TOPIC -

Now I have discovered still another French tele series, and that is

Alice Nevers - le juge est une femme

Splendid. The shows go over several years. Netflix does not have it, as yet, but the show is visible on YouTube.
This particular episode "La petite marchande de fleurs" has to do with perfume. Crime. Disaster. But, there are no subtitles.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufdV5_NFRRs
10 years ago
Pipette:
Well, I am watching Spiral to keep up my French. The same episodes over and over - and over - again. This is the accent Parisien. It is French normally spoken.

OFF TOPIC -

Now I have discovered still another French tele series, and that is

Alice Nevers - le juge est une femme

Splendid. The shows go over several years. Netflix does not have it, as yet, but the show is visible on

This particular episode "La petite marchande de fleurs" has to do with perfume. Crime. Disaster. But, there are no subtitles.

Thank you for the link. I started this episode and intend to see the rest of the seasons. I would write in French but I do not have the accents.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufdV5_NFRRs
10 years ago
I know what I posted. @ Tessa - Why do you post it again?
10 years ago
By mistake. Sorry!
I just wanted to thank you for the link. That'all.
10 years ago
So sorry, I misunderstood.

Right now, I am going to watch yet more episodes of "Le juge est une femme" ... cannot get enough of it.

An easy way to brush up on French, if it is not your natural language.
10 years ago
Yesterday I watched some episodes of Alice Nevers and tried to find the earliest ones. I like the plot.
Alice and her admirers 10 years ago
She has three. Her two lieutenants and then her "greffier".

At the end of almost each episode, Alice and Romance smile at each other ... and the viewer is left hanging, "when is there finally something serious developing, yes or no?"
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Anyone watching "Spiral" or "Le juge est une
Jump to