Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

4101 - 4125 by 4531
10 years ago
Fahrenheit 32 is an interesting case, as it is the black sheep of the otherwise "sunset-coloured cocktails" line by being ...white... The teenage princes of the realm may know better, as Axe is actually a blast compared to jokes like Burberry's Brit Rhythm and Gucci's Made to Measure, which, despite being launched with tons of foofaraw, are a disgrace for the price they ask for their "trendiness". At least Axe does not pretend to be anything else than what it really is...

Once when last century begun and once when it expired
this Mucha child of Art Nouveau did come and took its chance.
And as it's something violent that can be blown or fired,
its second presence now protects the skies over France.
10 years ago
Nope, no idea. I've searched for Mistrals, Mambas, Mirages, Asters and other engines of destruction with no luck. Confused
10 years ago
Ah Cryptic, you've also been researching the French missiles! I've also been looking at comets (Halley's occurred at beginning and end of century but did not spawn a fragrance, alas), stratospheres, Muchas paintings, auroras, sky deities with a propensity for violence and then just any perfume released at both the beginning and end of last century, regardless of name.
Another clue required, GothicHeart.
10 years ago
Oh, I never intended to make such a mess... But as I have already admitted, my "poetic" skills sometimes tend to follow a downward spiral at the end of the month. Cryptic you are SO following the right path!

Check how else could someone write an "f" to sound the same,
and there! You'll have him colouring an ancient wisdom place.
Then change to French the Spanish stuff before a male name,
and there! A squally beaut you have that roams the skies with grace.
10 years ago
Triffid I just realised it. If this "also" in your "Ah Cryptic, you've also been researching the French missiles!" means "too", then you're on the right path as well, and sorry for depriving you of your laurels in the first place...
10 years ago
If the answer pertains to a French missile then I give up, GothicHeart. I cross-referenced every blasted one I found for a perfume and didn't get a hit other than "Mistral," which is incorrect for other reasons. Good luck, Triffid. Smile
10 years ago
I have been toying with "Zephyr" by Neil Morris, although there are many fragrances with this name and I can't quite reconcile it with the last set of clues (which made me think it had 'Monsieur' in the title and began with the letters 'ph').
Anyway, a zephyr is a type of gentle breeze; an airship developed in the early 20th century and which can be 'fired' in the sense that they used to be filled with flammable gas; a database management system for IBM computers popular in the 1990s and Neil Morris has a similar name to William Morris (which ties in with the art nouveau clue).
That's it. I'm done!
10 years ago
This is the guy "colouring an ancient wisdom place"...

10 years ago
10 years ago
OK... It's Paul Tranoy's Rafale. It's year of release is unknown, but there's no way it was launched anytime later than the early 20th century.

Let me elaborate a bit...

The Mucha and Art Nouveau reference.

The "ancient wisdom place" was intended to lead to Raphael and his "The School of Athens". Then changing "ph" to "f" and "-el" (Spanish) to "-le" (French), you would have Rafale, which is French for squall or salvo and also the latest French fighter aircraft, which entered service in the mid-'90s.

Terribly sorry about that...
10 years ago
Don't be sorry, GH. The art was lovely even if we couldn't guess the perfume. I have an easier question ready, if it's okay with the rest of you.
10 years ago
I'm ready:0 Go for it.
10 years ago
Sure thing Cryptic! Launch it...
10 years ago
Go ahead Cryptic!
I should have persevered with the aircraft names. I must have given up on them somewhere between Amhur and Horus...
10 years ago
Thank you!

One myth, three perfumes:

My name is ----. I was bitten by a ---- on my wedding day and ended up in the ----.
10 years ago
That's easy for Greeks...

Eurydice

Viper or Serpent

Hades or Underworld
10 years ago
I'm going with "Eurydice" by Erasmic for the unfortunate bride.
Closest to the viper (other than the Kung Fu Panda entry) might be "Fatal Snake Magical" or "Fatal Snake Classic" by Lamis Creations and "Underworld" by Soivohle for the eternity part.
10 years ago
Dammit! Others precede me!
EDIT: And I see there's a better suggestion with "Serpent". Well done GothicHeart.
10 years ago
I would've taken variations of "snake" for the second answer, also. Well done, both of you! The win goes to GothicHeart for being first.
10 years ago
Thanks Triffid! If that's the case, then please be my guest and take my turn, in exchange for any headache induced by the whoosh this tempestuous Rafale clue has made...
10 years ago
Thanks Cryptic! I should have entered "Python" then... Or "Cuba Strass Snake" which I think is glamorous enough for a wedding...
10 years ago
GothicHeart:
Thanks Triffid! If that's the case, then please be my guest and take my turn, in exchange for any headache induced by the whoosh this tempestuous Rafale clue has made...

Oh no, please have your turn G. I have nothing prepared and have five doors to paint today.
10 years ago
Five... Today... Well, this might help...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EalqlDjTnPw

Now,

It's what a Japanese would use to make a blade fine.
Drink some of it in Italy, cast one from a Greek mine.
10 years ago
"Green Water (1947)" by Jacques Fath (or perhaps the 1993 issue)?

Love that Mr Bean episode. Hard to get fireworks nowadays so I'd planned to use his other tactic: painting with Teddy as a brush.
10 years ago
It could be done with explosives too, but I guess they come harder to find than fireworks... The 'water' part is somehow right, but the clue has a more international essence...

Now, if its maker was a sub
he could belong to a secret club.
And if some jeans enter the frame
these two would give his second name.
I cannot hint his first as well
Too recent. It might ring a bell...
In Italy it can be found
somehow mispelled in Parma's ground.
In Greece combined with some tincture
it can be used to print a picture.
4101 - 4125 by 4531
Notify about new comments