Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

4126 - 4150 by 4531
10 years ago
OK, My final answer is "JPS Silver" by John Player Special.
This is why.
I thought from the start it might involve metal, especially the Greek mine clue (the Laurium silver mines?) and the Japanese blade clue that I thought might have something to do with shibuichi (which I have an interest in through the use of 'pink siver' in jewellery.)
JPS might also refer to a club in Washington or more likely their sponsorship of formula one racing and limited edition Lotus vehicles. Or maybe it refers to some sort of 'special player' in gambling - whatever...
Silver is (was) the basis for printing of photographs. This clue clinched it (I was a photo printer for many years).
JPS is also a men's clothing brand.
Not sure about the Italy drink clue.
Now, if this answer sn't right then it bloody well should be!
10 years ago
Sorry Triffid, but no... Although your train of thoughts has left me breathless, running to catch it once more... Everything you've found is matching, but it's actually a lot simpler. Let's say that this,

I cannot hint his first as well
Too recent. It might ring a bell...

is the key verse, and it refers to one of my latest clues that had something to do with antiquity, art and wisdom...
10 years ago
Well, the jeans clue made me think immediately of Versace (and the 'too soon' remark made me think you may still be in mourning, though he's been dead for a while now). anyway, nothing doing there. So it must be something to do with Raphael. I can't reconcile all of the clues with the offerings from the most promising house, Raphael Rosalee, so I'll bypass "Cold Fluid" to suggest "Aqua Lithos" or maybe "Silver Coast Rose" (please imagine a doo-dad above the 'e' in Rose to make it a wine and not a flower).
10 years ago
Exactly! Aqua Lithos it is! Translated in English it gives water stone which is what a Japanese would use to sharpen a blade, hence the "somehow right" line about water. "Aqua" is the slightly mispelled Italian word for water, as in Acqua di Parma (grounds), and "Lithos" is Greek for stone, as in lithography. Sub+Rosa is a synonym for secrecy, and if any Rosa wears a pair of famous "Lee" jeans then a Rosalee we have. And of course since Raphael had just left the building, calling him back would have beeen an absolute giveaway. Now, were you talking about THIS Lotus?

Well, I have to say that in my book it holds the title of the most beautiful and mean looking F1 car ever!
10 years ago
The car? Well, if you're into that sort of thing...
You know -excuses, excuses- one of the first ideas I looked up was 'water stone' but couldn't find a perfume reference. Damn those other languages (and I should have taken more heed of your 'international' prompt). Ah well, over now.
Is it chic and understated
Or a mediocre hue?
Is it timelessly in vogue
Or just for workers at the zoo?

It's my uncle's knitted jumper
And it matches grandma's dresses,
It's a palomino pony
But without the long, blonde tresses;

Designer brand, and pricey,
So you know it's back in fashion,
But this perfume name will not
Succeed in stirring up my passion.

10 years ago
Actually I'm not, but I'd like to have it on my salon! Now, I'd say Overall by Tonino Lamborghini, but it's neither pricey nor pony related. Unless a bull in Palomino Sports Arena can be taken as a pony lacking its mane...
10 years ago
Sorry, no, GothicHeart - although I feel there is an 'overall' vibe to the name of this perfume. The clue would be the second line of the verse, which then might lead you to consider how it relates to the other items mentioned.
10 years ago
Ehm... Buttercup? Or maybe Pastel by Gres? I'm circling around garments and colours because I have a feeling that it must be something like this. But nothing seems to match it all.
10 years ago
You are on the right track.

Ecru, dun or camel
With perhaps a little grey,
A bland and dreary colour
For one's perfume of the day.
10 years ago
Ha! I guess I had it coming, for all those colour mayhems I bestowed upon you in the past... My final offers are Beige by Chanel, to go mainstream, Flax White Tea by Dr. Taffi, to go a bit exotic, and Oatmeal & Honey by Blushie, as I'm a little hungry...
10 years ago
Ha, I was thinking of ombre Wink
10 years ago
"Beige" it is! I always thought it was an odd name for a fragrance. Over here, to describe something as 'beige' is to imply uninspired blandness. It's a colour associated with safe choices although it's pretty trendy as a neutral decor colour, as long as it's not referred to as 'beige'.
The pricey bit referred to Chanel's fashion offerings and the fact that this is part of the more expensive 'les exclusifs' range.
Sorry, in hindsight, clues not the best.
10 years ago
No, the clue was fine! It's just the fact that there's a gazillion of hues out there, which comes as no surprise since the number of colours is practically infinite. Imagine mixing one and two drops of black in two different cans of white paint. Although there's not gonna be any visible difference to the naked eye, the paint will not be actually the same in both cans...

My brother showed you how a man was meant back in the days...
You see our decade was the one to state that men were true!
I'm black, I'm an Italian, and there's a brow I raise.
I think I never truly got all of my rightful praise.
And all these facts are making me a lot better than you!
10 years ago
OK, before I waste too much time twisting the clues to fit the perfume, is this something by Azzaro? They sure have some oddballs and twin pairs since the days of that classic masculine..
10 years ago
I've been thinking about cars - macho, black Italian cars like lamborghini and Ferrari, ones that are well represented through a range of (likely) mediocre macho fragrances.
I shall start with "Scuderia Ferrari - Black Signature" a possible brother to 'Ferrari Black" which was released in 1999 at the start of Ferrari's more successful decade.
Yeah, I know, incorrect! Next!
10 years ago
10 years ago
While I was setting the guns to fend of guesses anew, here comes a tap on my back and lo!, it's Cryptic holding the primers... As my rounds aiming at similarity with Trussardi Uomo and a +/- 30 years presence are of no use anymore, I'll give them away for free...

To be of our acquaintance, one must be no big spender.
My brother spoke a little French when made his debut.
But I'm Italian and proud when I declare my gender.
Just like this dressed in leather guy with whom I share a view.
Although it's been now quite a time, we're not defunct at all.
I raise my siver hat at you and spray you with some gall.
10 years ago
I noticed that the first launch was named "pour Homme" and the second called "Uomo." Were they just lazy or trying to appeal to a different crowd, I wonder?

Have we done haiku yet?

A seat of power

Named for an unlucky bird

Now gone forever
10 years ago
Since I've never heard of any ill-fated peacock to match Thameen's Peacock Throne and although I am maybe one of the 10 people worldwide that know diddly about Game of Thrones, I think that King in the North-Game of Thrones/Stark might be the one. But what any swash buckling, sword yielding perfume could possibly have to do with a house called Bubble and Geek eludes me...
10 years ago
As for Arrogance's multilingualism, avoiding to be confused with any metrosexual stuff could be a reason solid enough. I wonder why an Arrogance Hombre was never launched...
10 years ago
Actually, it's the peacock feathers that are supposedly unlucky, not the bird itself, and it may be an American superstition for all I know. Your turn. Smile
Last edited by Cryptic on 10.07.2014, 00:32; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
GothicHeart:
Birds are such posers!

But of course they won't share their cookies with anyone, even if they have to drench them in bad luck to avoid doing so... And Arrogance's hat is of course silver and not siver.

Whether an island or a glove, it's yet to be decided.
In an enclosed ancient sea it lies near a boot.
Some of the bravest warriors, its grounds they resided.
But its outrageous price tag would surely make them hoot!
10 years ago
The glove thing has really thrown me. I keep thinking of the boot as being a reference to Italy.
However, my best guess is "Ubar" by Amouage, based on the geographical location, the price tag and the legend of Ubar being a lost ancient city akin to the 'Atlantis of the Sands'.
10 years ago
You got a lot further with it than I did, Triffid. My thought process went something like, glove = mitt, gauntlet? island (has to be Greek) = something Ionian? warriors = Amazons? Oh feck, I have no idea.
10 years ago
Well I'm sure it's incorrect but I pretty much gave up on the Greece/Italy location and drew a tenuous connection between enclosed sea=Red Sea; boot=maybe the Arabian Peninsula;island/glove=Palm Island Dubai; expensive=Amouage; ancient warriors - yes, withour being specific.
4126 - 4150 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to