Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

4251 - 4275 by 4531
10 years ago
It's not the flora, it's the damp joists...
One fragrance this time.
A humble, grounded fragrance
That does not aspire to much,
Not something you'd consider
As a scent to wear to lunch;

Unless, of course, you're bird-like,
Then a gourmand it could be,
Perhaps to wear in Gippsland
Or when on a gardening spree.
10 years ago
I shall add another verse; I think everyone nodded off.

I went to a museum,
It was not the usual kind,
This Gippsland one pays homage
To the scent I had in mind.
10 years ago
Now we're talkin'! Although it was not Gippsland, but looking for anything included in both human and avian diet that made me feel humble and grounded (with its teenager meaning). It's the first time that something this small put me in such big trouble!

Earthworm by Demeter Fragrance Library

Ain't it?
10 years ago
Yes, yes it is!
A fragrance to celebrate the humble worm.
The Gippsland clue was a reference to the not-so-humble Giant Gippsland Earthworm ( Megascolides australis) which grows an average of one metre long, sometimes up to three metres, though it's pretty skinny (the photo below makes it look much bigger).
The giant earthworm museum is a colourfully painted tunnel. Unfortunately, a general google search of Gippsland does not prominently feature the famous worm as the no. 1 attraction. Shame on them, there's not much else there.

10 years ago
Three metres long? Then I have to revoke the "It's the first time that something this small put me in such big trouble!" part. However, I wonder what kind of bird other than the one living here,

would dare to think of this particular earthworm as a snack... And also why the lady handling it is not wearing gauntlets...

Let's say for one more time our offbeat pair.
My mastery on you shall not impair.
No use to avert your eyes and look astern.
The eidolon of strains will be au fait, your brain to burn.
10 years ago
I love that nest pic! A huge worm would be no trouble for a Kookaburra - they live mostly on snakes and lizards.
10 years ago
Is it just me, or this bird looks more happy than words could ever say?
10 years ago
These cheeky birds are called Laughing Kookaburra or Laughing Jackass but it's all about the call - a manic, cackling laugh.
I am still puzzling over the clue.
10 years ago
Gothicheart, I really have no idea. We have lost Cryptic to the sunshine so you may have to drop a hint to keep me afloat.
10 years ago
Fair enough... It's actually way easier than it seems. It's a tremendously famous song's lyrics, kinda covered by me, but still saying the same thing. The keyword is the Greek one...
10 years ago
Ah, "Phantom of the Opera" by Parlux?
10 years ago
Boo!...
10 years ago
I mean as the Phantom would address the audience, not the other way around...
10 years ago
I'm incorrect?
10 years ago
Me and my pun(y) jokes! Sorry... No, Phantom of the Opera it is. "Boo" was meant to reveal that it was finally exposed.
10 years ago
There are two perfumes that fit this clue, completely unrelated and with different names for the exact same thing. I'll accept either, bonus points for both,

Bright thing, light thing,
Close and neighbourly,
Out all night, a white dwarf
Or a pup for company;

Sailing, trailing
First Fleet ships at sea,
Grateful Dead's lost sailor
Could have used your company.
10 years ago
I LOVE astronomy clues!!!

Soivohle's Dog Star and Dolma's Sirius.
10 years ago
"Dog Star" it is! Now the next bit is odd: I originally wanted to write a clue about Givenchy "Xeryus" but couldn't find much information on what that name actually means, other than it's an uncommonly used Greek form of Sirius. So I decided to make the clue about Sirius but, surprisingly, couldn't find a perfume called "Sirius" in the fragrance directory. So, Dog Star, Sirius, Xeryus - all correct.
I'm glad you like astronomy clues: I'll keep that in mind 'cos, you know, I'm a Taurus (joking, don't you just love the confusion of pseudo-science!).
10 years ago
Actually Sirius IS a Greek word (Σείριος), and it means the one who scorches, but nevertheless, I'd like to see the "...it's an uncommonly used Greek form of Sirius.", because I've never heard of it. Xeryus was meant to be launched as Keryus in the first place, but Yves Saint Laurent started bitching about a possible confusion with his Kouros, making Givenchy to change the name after perhaps a handful of bottles were launched under the Keryus label. So if you ever come upon one of these, don't choke yourself laughing about the lame counterfeit attempt. On the contrary, grab it and run! The same goes if you encounter any Xeryus that has its name written on a sticker, as its 100% Keryus underneath it. Given all that, it seems that Xeryus had nothing to do with the star originally, as Keryus could be only related with Καίριος (Kerios) which means crucial or Κύριος (Kyrios) which means main or master/lord, if the name derives from a Greek word, that is. Pisces here; pleased to meet you Taurus!

Rather unknown, both scent and house,
and that's for sure a shame.
She's much more French than any French,
as proudly claims her name.

If she had red she'd be her flag,
and Marseillaise would rock her.
And though she has no smoky notes,
as some old winged helmet denotes,
she's quite a heavy smoker.
10 years ago
How about this for a French, blue-and-white, smoking experience without the nicotine stained fingers?

10 years ago
"This" will suffice Triffid... Pity they've changed the iconic pack

with this "modernization" disaster.

Ciggies can be reformulated too as it seems. And never for the better...
10 years ago
Wouldn't it be humorous if the ciggie reformulations were for health reasons...oh, and I want one of those helmets!
One fragrance. One picture is a clue to the perfume name, the other is a clue to the house. Click to enlarge.
10 years ago
Gauloises and especially Gitanes were my staples in high school when I wanted to reduce ciggy scrounging a (big) bit. No one has ever asked for a second one... 100% cutthroats! As for the Frenchy helm, I wish I could make you one, but I'm not that good a blacksmith. However, if you ever need any badass and battle ready Viking shield, just let me know...

I'd say Almost Transparent Blue by A Lab on Fire.
10 years ago
Spot on with your answer. I thought it might be too hard without the house clue but for you, probably not.
Gitanes...blechhhh...your strategy works! I once had a boyfriend who went through a phase of watching old films and smoking those disgusting things. Not only did I never bludge a second one, he was banned from pretty much any indoor space in my company. They were a step above Indonesian clove cigarettes and Camels but it was a close thing.
I could do the helmet in paper mache but, hmmm, not cool outside of school pantomime. I'm intrigued by your offer of a viking shield though.
10 years ago
Being an impertinent doomsayer, I'd be happy with this house clue too...

Actually I like Gauloises and Gitanes a lot. The combination of their foul stench with Davidoff and Drakkar Noir was simply divine back in the days!

It's black, it's tall,
it wears a crown.
A century it's lasting.
Was worn by a certain Brit
when C was everlasting.
4251 - 4275 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to