Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

4276 - 4300 by 4531
10 years ago
That is really not too far from the look of my kitchen after a baking frenzy/fry up.

As to your clue, my immediate thought was something by Clive Christian, overpriced and housed in one of those Crown perfumery look-alike bottles (perhaps he kept them as a memento after he acquired, then tossed, the brand).
So, there's the tall, black "X" bottles, the "C" and "W" that he presented to famous Brits Cate and Wills on their nuptials (not black bottles but apparently in a fancy black presentation box) or, my pick, the one below - is named after the year that, over a century ago, Crown Perfumery was founded. 'The Crown' also happens to be a song by Everlast and "The Everlasting Guilty Crown' is a song by Egoist.

10 years ago
I have to admit that I'm not capable for staging such an elaborated clue, or figuring such an one out probably... And your impossible connections, they all fit goddamn it! But... The century plus period is literal, the certain Brit's name is James, and the "C" is of the kind that's found on Mendeleev stuff...
10 years ago
What! I can't believe this perfect solution is not the one. A crushing blow indeed.
10 years ago
The C would be carbon or graphite or diamond - James Bond in Diamonds are Forever? That's it. I need to think some more.
OK. I'm back. Nope, sorry - been through pages of century old 'fumes too.
10 years ago
James Bond in "Diamonds are Forever" is the key indeed... I think that now it should come as a piece of (English) cake.
10 years ago
Not really tall or black but it's over a century old, there's a crown on the (vintage) label and it is reputed to have been a Sean Connery favourite: "Jicky" by Guerlain?
10 years ago
Although Jicky was Sean Connery's and Roger Moore's favourite, no, it still has to be tall and black. It actually looks a lot like the one you've posted, but it has a much less flamboyant silver crown topping it, which is made of pewter!!! It's named after a greek word for "graceful". It was (allegedly) worn by James Bond as a character, not by the actor impersonating him, and it's one of the two colognes that Ian Fleming has mentioned in his books (or so I think). It comes from an English house, and the crown cap is found in every perfume they make, with the one in question being the only one having it in silver.
10 years ago
After spending the whole afternoon with my tablet, I say Ardent /Boadicea the Victorious.
10 years ago
Welcome aboard Cema, and happy guessings! Unfortunately it's not Ardent. It's something much much older than that.
10 years ago
But now I must be right ''Eucris / Trumper''
10 years ago
Thank you for your welcome. It is such an interresting thread.But without your links Tod James Bond and the diamonds I would still be looking for a perfume that corresponds to Jmes Cook and his ship Earl of Pembroke -Endeavour and the mines in Southafrica.
10 years ago
So we are back to Crown Perfumery? I ditched them early on after the Clive Christian attempt.
10 years ago
Eucris comes from the ancient greek eucharis, that also means graceful.
And the scent was worn by James Bond.
10 years ago
I've been asked to say a few words here and I'd appreciate it if you didn't shoot the messenger.

When this thread was started, the rules were that after 10 posts on a particular question someone else would get to take a turn. Now that far fewer people are playing that number should probably be reduced. If your clue isn't guessed after a few attempts, it's probably best to move on and give someone else a chance. This game was a lot of fun when a number of people were playing, but that won't happen if people aren't willing to take turns. Thanks for listening.
10 years ago
Eucris it is! Εύχαρις/EF-ha-rees/Eucharis means graceful in not so ancient Greek indeed. It is mentioned by Ian Fleming in "Diamonds are forever". The other fragrance out of the two that he has mentioned in his novels is No.89 by Floris. When he asked them if he was allowed to use it in one of his books, the guys in Floris were not only thrilled by this unexpected advertising, but they also provided Fleming with a lifetime free supply of it. Good work Cema! Now it's your turn to puzzle us.
10 years ago
Absolutely fine with me. Reduced to how many? Suggestions anybody?
10 years ago
I will try it and beg your pardon for my English.

It was so far
Created for a star
It took four years
That it wasn' t only hers.
10 years ago
GothicHeart:
Absolutely fine with me. Reduced to how many? Suggestions anybody?

Thanks for understanding.
10 years ago
Cema, welcome! This is probably incorrect, but the perfume that came to mind immediately was L'Interdit. I remember reading that Givenchy had that scent created for Audrey Hepburn and that she wore it exclusively for a few years before its release to the general public.
10 years ago
Gold morning Cryptic, hole in one! L' Interdit is correct.
10 years ago
Great! Thank you, Cema. I can think of another perfume with a similar story.

This scent was created to honor the wedding of a star, but wasn't released to the public for 16 years.
10 years ago
I know the answer but will let someone else have a go.
10 years ago
Thank you Triffid, so my recherche wasnn't in vain. I found ''Fleurissimo'' /Creed .
It was created for Grace Kelly's marriage with Rainier of Monaco in 1956, but for all available in 1972.
10 years ago
That's it Cema. A lot of the Creed legends seem to be fiction, but the Fleurissimo story is fairly well documented. Your turn.
10 years ago
Small but dangerous
The beginning of a liaison
On the sea it brought disaster
4276 - 4300 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to