Search Forum

The new face of Chanel No. 5 - Gisele - latest commercial

The new face of Chanel No. 5 - Gisele - latest commercial 10 years ago
Although I admit that Gisele Bundchen is a beautiful lady - I don't like the new Chanel No. 5 commercial.

It shows her coming from the sea after surfing.

In no way does my perception of the aroma of Chanel No. 5 (even reformulated) relate to the fresh breeze of the ocean.

The most convincing ad (in my humble opinion) was the one where Audrey Tautou (with an amazing resemblance to Coco Chanel) was on an overnight train ride. Dreamy, retro, romantic.

All along the images of Carole Bouquet, Catherine Deneuve, Nicole Kidman were glamorous and represented the modern woman wearing an elegant scent.

Gisele could be nice face, but the context with the ocean is just mismatched. "Cool Water" comes to mind.

What is the company trying to say?

The ad with Brad Pitt was the pits, this one is again mismatched and misconceived.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Pipette on 27.10.2014, 14:45; edited 2 times in total
10 years ago
Do you think the surfing could have been added to modernize the image of No 5? "you can be a modern woman and smell classy in a traditional way at the same time" That sort of thing?

Especially since the scent of No 5 is rather traditional/old fashioned, while the latest generation of potential buyers probably grew up with sweet girl's perfumes.

(And I don't mean old fashioned in a bad way because I like No 5 a lot)
10 years ago
Sleuth:
Do you think the surfing could have been added to modernize the image of No 5? "you can be a modern woman and smell classy in a traditional way at the same time" That sort of thing?

Especially since the scent of No 5 is rather traditional/old fashioned, while the latest generation of potential buyers probably grew up with sweet girl's perfumes.

(And I don't mean old fashioned in a bad way because I like No 5 a lot)

But when Gisele emerges from the salty water, what does she smell like? Probably like salt.

In the evening, when she goes out to a candlelight dinner, then she puts on Chanel No. 5 with its flowery, powdery aroma, even with the brisk top of aldehydes?

Way back, there was an ad - with Carolyn Lee - saying to her friend in a close-up embrace, her face was lit up,

"Every woman alive loves Chanel No. 5".

Why, on earth, combine the flowery scent with an image of scruffy Brad Pitt lost in poetic rambling,

and a girl coming out from the fresh and breezy and cool ocean?

Beats me.
10 years ago
I get your point, the salty water makes no sense. But what I was trying to say is that it's not about the salty sea but about sport, which IMO is more important today than it was in the past. So they're showing Gisele doing sport to modernize the image of No 5.
10 years ago
Hmm sport and chanel 5 just don't go together. Yes I may not like it but it is known as a very classy perfume. Plus gisele b isn't classically beautiful to me so wrong choice.
10 years ago
I saw the ad a bit differently, Pipette. It seemed as though it was trying to appeal to a broad spectrum of women, with a surfing scene and some interaction between a mother and daughter, followed by a woman working as a model and a romantic reconciliation with her husband/lover. Chanel has used water before in their ads, by the way. No surfing in this one, just some suggestive symbolism.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tmhfwz8w5o
10 years ago
No connection whatsoever for me. And if one didn't know any better, there really was no connection to the perfume save for that one beautiful moment with the little girl. Gisele is cold and aloof. I dont relate to her at all and she has no personality in this film.

I dont know what Chanel were trying to say with this one, it certainly didn't speak to me. I was left with the questions; Who is the brand and what is their message? I feel like Chanel has lost touch with women today.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The new face of Chanel No. 5 - Gisele - latest commercial
Jump to