Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

4376 - 4400 by 4531
9 years ago
It must be cocktail hour somewhere in the world.

One house, seven perfumes:

"The only American invention as perfect as the sonnet,"

Barbaric bubbly,

What you get when vodka meets coffee liqueur,

Famous street in New Orleans,

Women's magazine which featured a nude photo of Senator Scott Brown,

What to drink when searching for a lost shaker of salt in the arctic, and

Signature drink of the Kentucky Derby.
9 years ago
Demeter seems to have a well-stocked bar Razz
so, let's see...

"The only American invention as perfect as the sonnet"
Martini

Barbaric bubbly
Champagne Brut

What you get when vodka meets coffee liqueur
Black Russian

Famous street in New Orleans
Bourbon

Women's magazine which featured a nude photo of Senator Scott Brown
Cosmopolitan

What to drink when searching for a lost shaker of salt in the arctic
Frozen Margarita

Signature drink of the Kentucky Derby
Mint Julep
9 years ago
Bravo! *clapping*
9 years ago
Thanks *gets up and walks unsteadily toward the bar again*
9 years ago
Three scents, one house

9 years ago
I am making some very tenuous connections here. I know that Lutens La Fille de Berlin was inspired by Marlene Dietrich but that hedgehog-in-hand made me think of by Kilian "Liaisons Dangereuses" (I told you the connection was tenuous). So, from the same house, I'm choosing "Good Girl Gone Bad" for the Dietrich clue (runner up is "Smoke for the Soul").
For Joan of Arc, how about "Light my Fire" or "Straight to Heaven".
And I've already mentioned the hedgehog....
9 years ago
You are halfway there, Triffid. It's more straightforward than that though, just think French!
9 years ago
Seeing as I'm halfway (which would actually mean I have one-and-a half answers) I'm going to assume that "La Fille de Berlin" was correct and that Serge Lutens is our man. Not being a French speaker, I have laboriously translated those tricky names and am squeezing the other clues to fit. So, for our friend Joan, I'm bypassing the arsonist perfume, L'incendiaire, on the grounds of poor taste and offer "La Vierge de Fer" (seems to be a thorn/lily/iron maiden reference) for your consideration.
The hedgehog-in-hand is a little tricky but in the spirit of playfulness, I offer you "Jeux de Peau" (Skin Games)
9 years ago
"La fille de Berlin" is said to be inspired by Marlene Dietrich.
"La vierge de fer" has a connection to Joan of Arc. Uncle Serge offers a pretty convoluted explanation here: http://www.osmoz.com/inspiration/osmoz-magazin e/103/flowers-femininity-inspiration-5-questio ns-for-serge-lutens
That leaves us with the last clue... and Jeux de Peau it is not (but a clever answer anyway!)
Since now we know that Serge Lutens is our man, I know it's not going to take that long to figure out the last correct answer, so let's move on... the last pic was meant to be a pun on "Fille en aiguilles" (all those needles, and the baby hedgehog could quite possibly be a girl, couldn't she?)
9 years ago
Triffid:
So, for our friend Joan, I'm bypassing the arsonist perfume, L'incendiaire, on the grounds of poor taste...

Laughing
9 years ago
Oh well, I was 66.6% right (damn you ,English Girl, I thought it was tickle time with the hedgehog).
I have prepared nothing poetic so shall offer my clue as follows:
- Two perfumes , same house
-Originally an old French brand (aren't they all?) named after its founder, a hairdresser, but having since been bought and sold many times.
-Think 'budget line'.
-The biggest seller was marketed as arousing male curiosity and recognition to the point where a stranger might ask about it. Made in the thirties, but I associate it with housewives of the fifties and sixties.
-The second perfume would be worn by the mistress (or slutty teen daughter) of the man whose wife wore the above fragrance. She ain't no lady.
9 years ago
I'm pretty much shooting in the dark here. Are we talking about "Crêpe de Chine" by any chance? That would explain the housewives-from-the-fifties association... I have no idea if Madame Millot, the founder, was a hairdresser though. No wait, she did produce some hair ointment (thank you Wikipédia). And it was apparently a big hit - Pommade à la Graisse d'Ours (seriously, bear grease??) As for the slutty teenage daughter, I'd go with "Insolent / L'Insolent" then.
9 years ago
Nice try Epimedes, but no.
The tag line for one fragrance was "Aren't you wearing ... (insert perfume)?"
For the other, think of the song "That's why the lady is a ..(insert perfume)"
9 years ago
Damn, those housewives with their crepe de chine dresses led me off track.
May I offer you this then (ah, the the male curiosity clue, now I see)

"Tweed" was apparently also marketed by Lenthéric as Risque-tout in non-English speaking countries. The other one must be "Tramp".
9 years ago
Epimedes, you have chosen the right fabric and are correct!
I always wanted the woman to turn around and slap that smug and impertinent guy sidling up to sniff her!
I had the pleasure of smelling Tramp last week, courtesy of a local Parfumo member. I was expecting something cheap, loud and a bit dirty but it was actually quite smooth and lovely.
9 years ago
Triffid:
I always wanted the woman to turn around and slap that smug and impertinent guy
Doesn't she look like she's about to? smack him in the face with that thing she's holding in her left hand? Very Happy

I haven't smelled either perfume, although I had heard about Tramp, that line was a dead giveway. I see that it can be had for close to nothing these days (reissued version of course), but I can't find notes anywhere and there are only a few reviews out there. I guess because it's so cheap no one seems to be interested?

No more brainy stuff for me today. The name of the next fragrance must describe the scenery below in seven words.
9 years ago
"Are You Surfing Alone - On the Wave" by Yves d'Orgeval? It seems to fit.
9 years ago
It does seem to fit (seven words, no kidding)... but it's not it. Please try again.
9 years ago
But it seemed so perfect! :/ I'll try again later but if anyone wants take a guess in the interim, please do.
9 years ago
Epimedes, I going to take you at your word that you're not looking for something intellectual. How about this daffy-sounding perfume?

www.parfumo.com/Perfumes/Davidoff/Cool_Water_G ame_for_Her_Happy_Summer

Or this?

www.parfumo.com/Perfumes/Davidoff/Cool_Water_W omen_Sea_Scents_and_Sun
9 years ago
Cryptic, you've spotted the most important clue.
Yes, what I had in mind was one of those goofy-sounding CW flankers. Precisely, this one: Cool Water Woman Sun, Sea and Surf ... which, I now see, is not in Parfumo's database Shocked
"Cool Water Game for Her Happy Summer" - ha-ha, I think that one actually beats mine, you win.
9 years ago
I'll take it! It's a pity the answer wasn't in the directory but maybe some kind soul who's reading will attend to that.

One famous house, four perfumes. The names are scrambled. If you solve the first one the rest should be easier.

Laurel

Sober Peril

Camel Donor

Cry Moose
9 years ago
Thanks to LiliumLibido for creating the most popular, addictive topic on Parfumo! 2 years, 176 pages, 4396 replies and 151,973 views! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for soft-balling this question, Cryptic, my brain is a little rubbery when it comes to solving perfume riddles:

Chanel
Laurel=Allure
Cry Moose=Sycomore
Sober Peril=Bel Respiro
Camel Donor=Coromandel
9 years ago
Perfect! I'm so glad you answered it because nobody else seems to like the anagram questions. Welcome back! Smile
9 years ago
I'll take it! It's a pity the answer wasn't in the directory but maybe some kind soul who's reading will attend to that.

Yeah, I sure wish -ahem- Cincy would keep the directory up to date! Wink
Seriously, Cincy, how did you manage to find 2,275 fragrances not listed in the directory? Amazing! Shocked

I'll be back in a bit with a quiz question...
4376 - 4400 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to