Search Forum

How often do you add a new bottle to your collection?

How often do you add a new bottle to your collection? 9 years ago
My collection is at it's infancy, it is eleven months old now since February 2014. My first buy was Dior Homme Intense, and then I got L'eau d’Issey pour homme as a birthday gift by July. Still in July I bought Versace Blue Jeans. Four months later I added Grey Flannel. I started 2015 with Joop! Homme, then got Nautica Voyage N-83 (half full) from a friend.

Obviously I don’t have a regular collection schedule, I have just being buying at random and when the money is there. But hopefully I want to buy regularly this year like one bottle a month or two bottles in three months.

Those of you who are old in the business, could you tell us how often you buy your fragrances.
Wink
9 years ago
Hi, Keppy. My answer is: as often as humanly possible. I began collecting in earnest in September 2013, intending to stop at a max of 100 bottles. Didn't happen. Instead of waning as I expected, my interest in perfume grew. Now, collecting decants of promising scents, and FB's of the ones that blow me away, wearing them, comparing them, studying and writing about them, are a constant pleasure. Hubby wasn't into perfume at all, but I kept sticking great scents under his nose. He's collected 22. Most are among the big labels: Creed, Nasomatto and the like. At first we had a perfume budget. That's long gone. Fortunately, we're both now hooked on browsing bargains at the online discounters, too. Recent loves: Berdoues' Cardamomum Vegetalis and Vetiverea Herbacea, also Houbigant's Duc de Vervins.
9 years ago
About 5 times a year I buy a bottle.
9 years ago
Hello ScentFan, that is really huge. I don't plan to stop collecting when I hit the 100 bottles mark. But I may get there in 4 years time. Maybe less...who knows. LOL!
9 years ago
The good news is that once you have spent the value of a well-equipped VW Golf you start buying less. You realise that most of the new perfumes resemble something you already have in your collection, and they are hardly better. Smile
9 years ago
Apicius:
The good news is that once you have spent the value of a well-equipped VW Golf you start buying less. You realise that most of the new perfumes resemble something you already have in your collection, and they are hardly better. Smile
Rolling EyesCoolCool
9 years ago
That's beginning to happen. I smell something new and think..Oh, that's just like X and I don't buy it. Before when it was all new I bought perfumes I wouldn't buy now.

Apicius:
9 years ago
ScentFan:
That's beginning to happen. I smell something new and think..Oh, that's just like X and I don't buy it. Before when it was all new I bought perfumes I wouldn't buy now.

Apicius:

Agree 100%. Good finds have become pretty rare for me lately. Last year I bought one bottle, to be exact. Or maybe I'm not "with it" anymore.
9 years ago
I've bought most of my collection in the last couple of years. I like to have the original bottles so, apart from sampes and minis, I tend to buy FB and not to do bottle splits or large decants.
My ain is to have a small, well curated collection and to that end, I could part with quite a few things and not miss them. I've never sold anything though (in the beginning you just want the numbers!).
There is so much to try but I'm now more sure of what I like and am less tempted to buy big sample sets by a singlle house that will ultimately be a waste of money.
I would buy something every month but niche only a few bottles a year. I'm still a bit of a blind buyer as well.
It sounds like you are adding things thoughtfully and with purpose, Keppy, so don't be intimidated by some of the huge and impressive member collections here! Your taste may or may not change over the years as you meet new perfumes and styles but the main thing is to enjoy and explore and not go broke doing it.
9 years ago
What a nice question!
For me, it was the hardest time, when I had already 12-15 fragrances. Then I already spent a lot of money for them, but could not stop. Most of my perfumes came in last year, 26 bottles, if I remember well. When I like something, and it will be discontinued or withdrawn in Hungary soon, then it is a no-chance-to-skip situation for me.

I never bought blind with one exception: so far I could not find such fragrance of Al Haramain, that is not my taste, so I bravely order from their offer.

At the end of last year I reached the present 57 bottle stage - and also reached the point, where a perfume must be completely unique to make me give out money for it. After a certain number of bottles, if you are loyal type, you have to give out money for maintaining the collection on your shelves, since the best perfumes will fade away first Shocked But the more bottles you have, the slower they run out Very Happy
9 years ago
After the thrill has gone. Yes, indeed, the more you have the longer it takes to go through them and Apicus is so right when he says that eventually you realise you have covered the bases and similarities become obvious. I buy about every six to eight weeks and have made a real effort to buy 30 ml bottles wherever possible. I'm still searching for that perfect Iris fragrance, when I'm sure I will stop.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community How often do you add a new bottle to your collection?
Jump to