Search Forum

"What is it you are wearing ?"

"What is it you are wearing ?" 11 years ago
There is no nicer compliment. "What is it ?" Do I want to reveal ... Most of the time, yes and it may lead into a perfume conversation.

I am fairly certain that the public only perceives a perfume by the sillage it radiates. Therefore, it could be one that THEY like and which could be sitting on my skin like an adornment, an extra, not really a magnification of my own skin scent. It really depends which "scent of the day" I put on. Sometimes that compliment is a surprise. Why is the scent not just pleasing to me ? Because I sniff it up close.
Well, if it were not pleasant, I would not have put it on in the first place. Except, sometimes for testing reasons.

Close to the skin scents can be very pleasing to the wearer but are not radiating very far. Cozy for cuddle time, or gentle for office wear. Moreover, an extract blooms fully narrow to the skin and tenaciously holds on but does not throw out a soft mist of sillage very far. They may become ugly when applied in great volume.
I prefer scents that start with a cloud and then dry down softly.
There are others that are strong and oily and when applied with a Q-tip make their statement.

Each perfumista experiments without stopping and hopes to find THE scent. There is no such Holy Grail Scent but there are a few gems.
This is just a little ramble ... the field makes for rambling, it is so large ...
11 years ago
I enjoy rambling about what I'm wearing. I usually hear, "You smell good" rather than what are you wearing. I accept both terms as compliments although,"What are you wearing?" Might mean your fragrance is annoying...
11 years ago
I prefer the term "You smell good" as I do not want to tell anyone else which perfume I am wearing.
11 years ago
I had a coworker commenting on how my fragrance smelled. "You smell like a clean baby!" or "you smell soooo clean!" I once had a patient say, "damn, you smell good! What is that?" I stopped wearing fragrances at work because those comments made me realize they were noticeable; I don't want to be noticed if the people who don't like it are keeping quiet.
Subtle 11 years ago
Off Topic -

When Dlane1953 mentioned subtle, I wondered how little I usually apply and how to check the own scent aroma. Leaning forward into the computer screen, just a little scent of "Safanad" is reflecting ... that ought to be enough.
11 years ago
Hayven:
I had a coworker commenting on how my fragrance smelled. "You smell like a clean baby!" or "you smell soooo clean!"

I wouldn't mind smelling like a clean baby.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
Hayven:
I had a coworker commenting on how my fragrance smelled. "You smell like a clean baby!" or "you smell soooo clean!"

I wouldn't mind smelling like a clean baby.

Try Keiko Mecheri eau Poudree; smells like baby powder and clean babies (no babies were harmed in the process of making this perfume).
11 years ago
To this day I still remember the best compliment I ever got on a perfume. I was in third grade and my mom had sprayed me with Avons Charisma,which I adored, before school. The teacher knelt down, put her nose in my neck, and exclaimed "You always smell soo good!" I was very happy and it became important for me to wear perfume every day from then.
11 years ago
Ahhhhh, sweet sweet memories Peaches.
Last edited by Cincy on 25.02.2013, 18:43; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
I don't mind answering the question..."What is that you are wearing"?...but, I just usually give a very quick, and to the point answer..like for example: I'm wearing Chanel Coromandel. So, I just answer Chanel. They usually nod, and that's the end. Unless..they are Really interested in what the fragrance is called fully, then I will elaborate. I have been asked on several occasions, whilst wearing an Andy Tauer (because they really stand out, and are Different!) what the name of the perfume is..I just say..Andy Tauer. I get a lot of blank looks, but that's fine with me!
11 years ago
Dalmajen:
I don't mind answering the question..."What is that you are wearing"?...but, I just usually give a very quick, and to the point answer..like for example: I'm wearing Chanel Coromandel. So, I just answer Chanel. They usually nod, and that's the end. Unless..they are Really interested in what the fragrance is called fully, then I will elaborate. I have been asked on several occasions, whilst wearing an Andy Tauer (because they really stand out, and are Different!) what the name of the perfume is..I just say..Andy Tauer. I get a lot of blank looks, but that's fine with me!

LOL I can relate. I love the Tauers, they really do have a style of their own. First Class all the way!
The infamous boudoir 11 years ago
Although most people are not that trained anyhow, I would be embarrassed to say "Boudoir" in case they do know of the reputation of this scent, so I would just mumble "Vivienne w...ood", and let it go. Besides, on me, it smells good. Cinnamon magnified. Apple cake.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
slightly off-topic, Pipette: but I've heard about Boudoir and also Bals de Versailles. So Boidoir isn't too wild, you've said. What about B.de V.? Is it as skanky as I've heard? Maybe I need something new in my perfume wardrobe!

Well, many years ago I came across a mini of "Bal a Versailles" and found it heavy. A little too heavy for my taste, and not only that, when I wore it and freshened up in the ladies room, one of the other women (a stranger) said, OMG what stinks ... what is that ? So, it did not harmonize with my skin, judging from this reaction.

On the contrary, we discussed "Boudoir" at great length in Fragrantica and it is supposed to smell like women's underwear (in the most graphic description) and even then, some of the members said, Oh no, it smells beautiful. Then, we argued about the color. Should it be caramel or pink ? Anyway, as far as I know, the extract is caramel and the currently selling Eau de Parfum is pink.

I just bought the EDP and so did DiginDirt, and we both are happy with the scent. Not unladylike - but sexy - in an oriental way.

I bought the one for $43.94 at Amazon. It is really widely sold.
11 years ago
I think I got mine from Overstock. I see several bottles at a local store that carries many discontinued fragrances but there is no telling how old they are. They have the 2.5 oz for around $60 I believe.

It really does smell beautiful,no dirt, no sex, no stink but it is sexy. I wear it to work fine. My workplace is like the military, females are equal.
11 years ago
That must be a nice place "females are equal" but there is one difference (at least ...) plus the girls wear perfumes and the men probably don't wear cologne, or do they ?
11 years ago
Ha Ha. I said females are equal to be sarcastic. What I meant was they treat us like one of the guys lol. It's almost like working at a bar, it's noisy, lots of laughter, lots of jokes, lots of affairs...

A few females wear fragrance but they focus more on hair, nails, lashes.

A few of the guys wear cologne but they focus more on fancy shoes,shades, and electronics.

I think that both males and females are more interested as I generally carry a sample of my fragrance of the day in my pocket. When someone asks, "What are you wearing?" I whip out my half empty vial. If they like it I let them have it,
11 years ago
I frequently receive queries and comments when I wear M. Micallef's Shanaan. If I had to choose only one fragrance from my collection, it would be that.
11 years ago
If somebody asks what I am wearing it is usually a person that I know. Complete strangers never have.

I do not keep my perfume a secret. It´s a vital accessory but not the essence of my soul. Besides, I have noticed so many times that the same perfume smells quite different on each person so to me there is no "scent rivalry" with others.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community "What is it you are wearing ?"
Jump to